Street Experience compaired to Mechanical?

Gad

Reaction score
Which would you say was better to have?

Reason i ask is because all of my scaffolding knowledge and experience has been on mechanical sites
I have always felt that street work was i was missing and to be an actual scaffolder i had to do

Now after working on the streets it seems the way i have been taught and way of thinking are more of a hindrance

One example i can give is me doing a cantilever job and having the labourer question everything i done and say i was making more work for myself-just because i put in bracing and a lacing tube through the bottom to take the rakers

Also,i am not claiming to be a brilliant scaffolder or any better than anyone-im still learning and prob never will learn all that i can
Just when it comes to working with guys on the street its like im from another planet even just for that wee bit extra even if it is just over compensating

Thoughts please

Gad street lads work in a whole different way to site scaffolders , who work in a whole different way to Refinery , power station , off shore scaffolders.
I worked for the first 5 years on Major building sites in London and learned stuff there that has stayed with me to this day, the main difference as i see it is street scaffolders are driven by how fast the job can go up as there is not the same money on the street work so it is nearly always done on a " just put in what is needed " basis , where as sites tend to to be put in every thing you can think of .
I think you need a mixture of both as it makes you a better scaffolder i have seen site lads take all day to put up a house front ad i have seen street lads who couldnt put up a brickie scaffold properly , trying to get away with 8 foot centers and "nipping" the doubles.
Your mechanical experience will serve you well in certain situations that the street lads wont have a clue about how to get around , you will be the better scaffolder because you can call on that experience when needed ;)

I have worked as a "street scaffolder" all my working life and yes there are some lashers out there but i would like to think only a very small amount.

As a street scaff you do get to do a wide range of jobs temp roofs, churches, shore work & a good old 6m x 3 lifts lol.

was always taught more is always better so i would like to think " just put in what is needed " basis is only a small amount, if its not then have some pride in your work!!!!

I started off on sites, before moving all over the place.
I tried to work on as many different kinds of jobs possible, hoping to make myself a more complete Scaffolder, if there is such a thing.

As Phil says: Streetwork is totally different to Sitework and Refinerywork is different to Rigwork.

• Streetwork = Trainers and Jeans, Greasy Spoon Cafe, Whistling at Women, Pub at Lunchtime, Early Finish, Punch up in the Yard.
  • Sitework = Boots and Minimal PPE, Cafe/on-site Canteen, Chatting up Woman in the Office, Pub after Work, Early shoot in the Saturday.
  • Refinerywork = Full PPE, Canteen Food, No Women or Whistling..., Pub on a Weekend, if not Working, Hardly any Early Shoots, Covered in Oil and Crap.
  • Rigwork = Full PPE, On-site 24/7 Canteen, Nothing that resembles a Woman, execpt 'pretty' cleanshaven Men! :eek:, Easy does it, Difficult work, NO BOOZE and NO SHAGGING!!!

I think the main differences between each of the Speed at which your 'expected' to work, the general Safety of a job, Standard of work your putting up and ofcourse, Money.

• Streetwork: High Speed, Low Safety, Low Standard, Low Money.
  • Sitework: Medium Speed, Medium Safety, Low Standard, Medium Money.
  • Refinerywork: Low Speed, High Safety, High Standard, High Money.
  • Rigwork: Low Speed, High Safety, High Standard, Medium Money.
  • (Hands up if you like the colour coordination? :p)

I do think that a Scaffolder needs to experience ALL kinds of work from the above 4 that ive mentioned.
Especially if they are going to move into Supervision/Management.

As for the Labourer telling you what to put into a Cantilever...
You are going to be the one walking and working on it - TELL HIM TO SHUT UP AND HES A THICK C.UNT AND HE NEEDS TO GET A PART 1, before questioning what the Scaffolder is doing.

Dont worry about how 'fast' you are mate or how much your putting into a job.
I dont think that you can put too much into a job, especially if its something where people will be working.

Most Streetwork Scaffolders are chancers anyway.
Ex-pisshead, out of prison, cash in hand so they dont have to pay Child Maintenance, slashers.

Dont let them worry you mate. :)

Reason i ask is because all of my scaffolding knowledge and experience has been on mechanical sites
I have always felt that street work was i was missing and to be an actual scaffolder i had to do

Now after working on the streets it seems the way i have been taught and way of thinking are more of a hindrance

One example i can give is me doing a cantilever job and having the labourer question everything i done and say i was making more work for myself-just because i put in bracing and a lacing tube through the bottom to take the rakers

Also,i am not claiming to be a brilliant scaffolder or any better than anyone-im still learning and prob never will learn all that i can
Just when it comes to working with guys on the street its like im from another planet even just for that wee bit extra even if it is just over compensating

Thoughts please

Would'nt worry about the labourer telling you whats what.. ( tell him to fu.ck off anyway ) sounds like your just doing the job properly mate...

how old is the labourer and how long has he been scaffolding? is he on the spanners?

Only reason is i used to get called a labourer but could run rings round the scaffolders it was just them that wouldnt labour on someone with no cards

In the 60`s when there was a handful of scaffolding companies not one on every street corner like there is now all the scaffs had to be adaptable, one day street work then a construction site, do a bridge over the M62 for the new motorway and then a spell in ICI Huddersfield, you learned as you went along, and 90% of the lads could do the lot to a very high standard.

how old is the labourer and how long has he been scaffolding? is he on the spanners?

Only reason is i used to get called a labourer but could run rings round the scaffolders it was just them that wouldnt labour on someone with no cards

He was about early forties and had the spanners on!

I had the same problem when i was with Hertel,never had my part one but had loads of experience but was basically just a labourer to the trainee's
even though i was the one telling them what to do and trying to keep them right

But when it suited them i suddenly became an Improver-this was usually when they wanted me to make up gear and do jobs myself

There's many a good lad been branded useless when dropped into street work simply because their not working at 100mph,so just up the tempo and no problem,but if you've only done street work and get put in a petrochem type situation it takes a lot more time to adjust,and learn the ropes:D

Thoughts please

Gad, I tend to agree with Philios but GM makes a good point that should not be forgotten. My own experience was coming off the rigs and trying to bring the same working practices to my own wee firm brought a few comments from scaffolders on another firm wondering why I put the trannies on with doubles and even more confusing was when I did a job with the trannies underneath the ledger as they had just never seen it before. I kept the same working practices going for about 5 years but looked a back on a job I built fairly recently and realised that is no longer the case. Nothing wrong with it, just no Aberdeens in it which just wouldn't happen on the rigs or power stations.
The trick for me is on the street or sites there has still obviously a need for safety and design but there is still a strong commercial consideration to be taken into account as the common view is there is a wide range of people who could carry out these particular tasks but when we go in to power stations or factories or any kind of plant I price it totally different to allow for a longer erect time and the usual round of tool box talks. As ever, it's just a view Gad but I reckon your labourer was just ripping at having to bring you so much gear, a slap usually sorts that out.:cool:

Where do you think I learnt to both take and give the slaps?:cool:

Some big sweeping statements there Jason, from a guy with only a total of 13 years experience in scaffolding

"Streetwork = Trainers and Jeans, Greasy Spoon Cafe, Whistling at Women, Pub at Lunchtime, Early Finish, Punch up in the Yard.
  • Sitework = Boots and Minimal PPE, Cafe/on-site Canteen, Chatting up Woman in the Office, Pub after Work, Early shoot in the Saturday.
  • Refinerywork = Full PPE, Canteen Food, No Women or Whistling..., Pub on a Weekend, if not Working, Hardly any Early Shoots, Covered in Oil and Crap.
  • Rigwork = Full PPE, On-site 24/7 Canteen, Nothing that resembles a Woman, execpt 'pretty' cleanshaven Men! :eek:, Easy does it, Difficult work, NO BOOZE and NO SHAGGING!!!

• I think the main differences between each of the Speed at which your 'expected' to work, the general Safety of a job, Standard of work your putting up and ofcourse, Money.
  • Streetwork: High Speed, Low Safety, Low Standard, Low Money.
  • Sitework: Medium Speed, Medium Safety, Low Standard, Medium Money.
  • Refinerywork: Low Speed, High Safety, High Standard, High Money.
  • Rigwork: Low Speed, High Safety, High Standard, Medium Money.
  • (Hands up if you like the colour coordination? :p) "

With respect I would suggest you "get some in",before making these type of insulting accusations about thousands of scaffolders that have worked in the game double and treble the time you have.

It was meant to be light hearted... f.uck me, how comes you always get 'offended' by what i say...?

With all due respect returned, 13 years in EVERY OTHER JOB IN THE ENTIRE WORLD is considered long enough slog to have an opinion.

To be fair, even 3 years is enough... if you cannot Scaffold after that amount of time, then your best packing your bags and finding another job.
Scaffolding aint hard... its the people you work with that make it difficult, with all the politics, grassing, back-stabbing and bullshiit that goes with it.

Trust me, 13 years is MORE then long enough to know the ins and out of this trade.

With all due respect Jason in scaffolding your still wearing short trousers ,

i was hemping 21s when i was 16 , working 100 in the air lifting 22 foot hoist sections on 4 boards no harness or fu ck all , walking on window ledges 80 foot above the pavement doing cradles and after 3 years you only think you know this game ? , iam still learning after 32 years on the tools and still on them punching above my weight and keeping the young guns on their toes , their aint no ******** on my firm mate or grassing or politics iam just as happy chaining gear or roping for the young lads as they gotta learn to fix as well , grasses get told to shut up and get on with it , we work as a team and if a player aint pulling his weight then he can go , if i can do it then they all can do it , and i never ask anyone to nothing i would not be happy to do myself

Also, as an add on to my previous post:

I HAVE WORKED ON:

Streetwork: and THAT is how i perceive it... Slap the job up, next to no PPE and run about in 7.5 ton lorry all day doing house fronts and shop fronts...

Sitework: and THAT again, is how i perceive it. Not as much running about as street work, slightly more PPE and the money aint great, as your stuck on muddy old Housing Estates, doing Bricky Lifts and Loading Bays for ever.

Refinerywork: (which im currently doing and WAS doing yesterday) and THAT is again, how i perceive it to be... Nice and steady, no rush - unless your on a Shutdown or a deal is on, so much PPE you can barely move and Safety thrown at you at every turn, you have to work the hours, but the money is good.

Rigwork: (im yet to work on these, but im NOT stupid and have been told by many a Scaffolder who has) and and THAT is again, how i perceive it to be - id imagine its a even more Safety mad version of Refinerywork, but the pay seems less, as your doing 2 on, 2 off.

I disagree Phil.

Me at 13 (apparently tiny, measly, baby. years) can and DO put up Scaffolds EVERDAY, just as good as any Scaffolder ive worked with who has been doing it for 30 years.

Not since i was a kid learning this trade, that i have my pants pulled down over bad Scaffolding... and im talking nearly 10 years ago.
I put good work up - by anyone's standards and i work just as hard and just as good and just as well as any Scaffolder 20 years older then me.

Like most other 'kids' do...

Last edited:
Jase

"It was meant to be light hearted... f.uck me, how comes you always get 'offended' by what i say...?"

You do not offend me Jase :love:,in fact some of your post are quite enjoyable to read.

But please do not set yourself up as an oracle of the scaffolding game,you still have a long way to go.

Streetwork: and THAT is how i perceive it... Slap the job up, next to no PPE and run about in 7.5 ton lorry all day doing house fronts and shop fronts...

Jason

I know what your saying regarding streetwork as it is in itself less policed. although there are firms out there that do wear all the PPE and work to the guidance and dont slash yes they are few are far between but there are some.

And on price i dont think streetwork can be beaten if you have a good team.

Lets face it there are **** scaffolders out there and **** firms who fly by their backseat and thats how street work is, i know plenty of gypsy scaffolders on streetwork no one checks your cards and no one checks references and you can travel about.

It could stem from management if you think about it the other way if your not willing to accept **** work get rid. Employ lads who you find can do the job. Yes it will take you ages to find the lads you want but how many bosses are willing to pay to keep the good lads when they can get a part 2 with HGV licence for 60 quid a day?

You will look back in 20 years time and think how much you have learned since now , how many different types of jobs you have done , situations you have to get around with your experience ,
i been training lads for nearly 20 years now and have sent maybe 12 lads through the apprentice route , and after 3 years there is not one of them i would trust to go and put anything more then a house front up on there own ,they just simply dont have the experience , i think ( in my opinion) that it takes 10 years before you really know what your doing , and even then it depends on what companies they have worked for as to how much experience they will have gained .
10 years doing house fronts dont make you a scaffolder it just makes you good at doing house fronts , you need a good variety of jobs to gain experience.
My youngest son has done around 20 temporary roofs and he is still only 18 ,and he now has a good understanding of how they work ( without looking at drawings)

But if you gave him a stillage full of cuplock he would say " what the fu ck is that for "

as i have said in loads of post on here "Experience takes time " you cant learn it in a collage

No, no, no...

You completely misunderstand me.
Im mearly offering an opinion of how I perceive things.

If im wrong, im wrong. Trust me... I will admit to being wrong, before anyone else thinks it right to correct me.

I dont like to be patronised, that im some wet behind the ears kid, that dont know the difference between a Double and a Base Plate.

Maybe when i was 18, but at 30, 13 years CONTINUOUS Scaffolding (many Scaffolders do it for a few years and go onto another trade and come back if that dont work out and i know this because i have worked with many who have told me), where i have been out of work for about 3 weeks in all those years, due to no work out there and 2 kids later, i dont like being told that i dont know what im talking about, have little experience of Scaffolding and am not entitled to an opinion, because i dont appreciate it.

Most of my posts here are light hearted, though some are serious and usually directed at how BADLY we, as a trade in general are treated and paid compared to others in the Construction Industry.

Not once have i said that Old Scaffolders are shiit.
I probably enjoy working with the older guys the most, as i enjoy their stories, the give me good advice and i like to work with people who did this game before all the HSE got involved... but beware... they treat me like a c.unt and they get it in the neck.

My gripe lately, is that some older Scaffolders here think that because I and others are young, that we've never lived and dont know anything...

This i think is not only wrong, but also offensive.

Age in this game means nothing.
If your shiite when your 30, your more then likely gonna be shiite when your 60.
If your decent at 30, your gonna be decent when your 60.

Because its all about attitude, effort, adaptability and WANTING to be good at your job.

I just dont like being made out to be some kind of knob, when im only doing what MANY on this Forum dont do ---> Post and try to keep it thriving.

Top Bottom