Step Up Method Statement!!

R

ragscaff

Can anyone send me a method statement & risk assesment for the use of a step up device. I have done a risk assesment & struggle to get one that can be worked to. i.e hemping, size of platfrom possible strain on the knees & working from a ladder!

ragscaff@sky.com

Thanks Ragscaff:cry:

ha we shyed away from this too as an impossibility to work safely from a platform that size

well i await copies of these cos im gunna PMSL...

The guidelines are yet to be released. Personally as his is basically a step ladder , yorur gonna be fecked . hse say 15 minutes citb say 30 minutes. see you in court:p

oh welcome back mate turn your flippin phone on ian....

Hi Guys

I am currently trying to compile a report for the SCCR, to produce to the HSE, at our meeting in October.

I have some data, however, i would like a lot more so we can have a general consensus.

My request is for you's to PM me with any details regarding, Accidents,near misses or cases of Ill health (Slips,Trips and falls and Aches and sprains to lower limbs) which have occured by using the 'Step up platform'.

All correspondence will be treated with Confidentialality, and will only be accessible to the SCCR committee. No names will be added to the aforementioned report, for perusal by 3rd parties.

Yours sincerely
Paddy H&S development officer SCCR

sorry steve ,but i've been holiday . Feck it was well deserved ring me tomorrow.
I'm in a mood with lots to say .

PS
I'm back biog style :D

about time too , serious talk could do with it b4 10am mate. in meetings then..

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
"If you can read this, you are probably over-educated.

What does the signature mean Ian?

If you can read this you are probably over educated;)

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Scaffy you must be able to Google quicker than me mate, Your lass always says you are quick on the draw;)

We started a seriously big job last Tuesday in the City - Massive independants for demolition.

I did a RAMS that incorporated the use of the MK2 safety step to achieve an advanced guardrail. No problems whatsoever - the time spent on these units is minimal and the lads actaully like using them now.

Scarfs shouldn't be a problem as you can fix the advanced guardrail to every other standard on a hemping lift.

Can anyone send me a method statement & risk assesment for the use of a step up device. I have done a risk assesment & struggle to get one that can be worked to. i.e hemping, size of platfrom possible strain on the knees & working from a ladder!

ragscaff@sky.com

Thanks Ragscaff:cry:

If the system provider cannot provide a safe system of work for their own system you may have a problem

Has no one got a method statement or risk assessment for a step up.

Phil I would assume you have to stand on the lift & lift the hemp over the handrail then if your sleeve is just above the lift try & place it in at a parallel angle. Sounds dodgy to me!

I thought there was a limit on the height you are allowed to lift weights & the hemp has to be within 300mm of the lift. Might be wrong, did happen once :unsure:

Ragscaff

Phil I would assume you have to stand on the lift & lift the hemp over the handrail then if your sleeve is just above the lift try & place it in at a parallel angle. Sounds dodgy to me!

I thought there was a limit on the height you are allowed to lift weights & the hemp has to be within 300mm of the lift. Might be wrong, did happen once :unsure:

Ragscaff

Never heard of the joint having to be maximum 300mm from the lift - Only ties and braces from a node point. I never mention hemps when compiling a MS.

We try and get the lads to set out their stagger properly and use the appropraiate size uprights on the base out to try and achieve low scarfs on the hemping lifts.

This is obviously extremely difficult when setting out on an uneven surface and when the lift heights vary.

Haven't heard about the height you can lift weights to thing - Probably comes down to what you are comfortable with. Agree with the guardrail being almost parallel with the hemp - I always found that awkward too. But like I always say 'If it was easy, then they wouldn't need a scaffold, would they?'

Last edited:

Ragscaff

Ragscaff

If the standards are staggered correctly then you can fit the handrail from the steps to every 2nd standard, then drop the hemps over and fill in when you jump up, this is what we do and never had any problems with it.

Surely to use these step ups in your companies someone must have done a risk assessment or method statement!!!

Throughout Industry there are guidelines in what you can lift & at what angle the arms are at would depend on the weight. Two years ago there was talk of banning 21ft tube due to this. The height of the hemp joint has to be as close to the lift as possible which I have always been led to believe is 300mm same as the ledger join to standard. When you are taught to hemp or carry a tube you should lean the top in. If you are lifting over a hand rail to hemp tow foot below it then this could cause unbalance.

Myself I could not step up & down all day long like that my knees are f****d.

Used to do it on high rise flats in London years ago, all 10ft lifts, crate to put it up stand on the handrail when striking!

Ragscaff

Ragscaff

If your handrail HAS to go to an upright that needs hemping put a 5' in then when your on lift simply swap it to whatever needs to go in :idea:

Top Bottom