Votes: 29 49.2%
  • No.

Votes: 27 45.8%
  • Unsure.

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
good post alan,

The Ladder beam is NOT intended to be extended in length so cannot be used for larger spans.
sabretiger read that:laugh: fuking labourer;)

Im still using them... OH MY! do i hate those poxxy beams!
The boys are nearly finished though, only about another 90 to put in over the next few weeks, lol.

Alloy beams are definitely the way forward, but I think there will always be a place for steel beams for some applications.

Start worrying though when your Engineer custom designs his own steel beams :toung: Remember these Jakdan ? 2m long each from memory, connected with a single large pin top and bottom, and were bloody heavy even before the railway track got bolted to the top :cry:

Attachments

• P6-8 track system 1 01.02.01.jpg
    P6-8 track system 1 01.02.01.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 22
Alloy beams are definitely the way forward, but I think there will always be a place for steel beams for some applications.

Start worrying though when your Engineer custom designs his own steel beams :toung: Remember these Jakdan ? 2m long each from memory, connected with a single large pin top and bottom, and were bloody heavy even before the railway track got bolted to the top :cry:

fukc me thats them that fukced my back,
i cant believe you have pictures of them, now that was a technical job! have you any more pics of the full job mark?
quality;)

Yeah regarding Alan's comment about ally beams being soft - we were on a job on a big church in South Yorkshire a few years ago. If I remember right it was approx 5 lifts then beamed over roof with about 7 or 8 lifts punched off em up the steeple. Was just walking up to finish erecting the top lift after break when I noticed one of the beams looking a strange. I climbed over for a closer look and the doubles were cutting right through the beams - they were ready to fckn crumble. Ran and checked the other side and it was exactly the same. Sent shivers down my spine. Saved the company's arses that day. All the lot was ready to come down. FCKIN SHOCKING!!!

Hello, sorry for the delay.
I can't say for sure to be honest Alan as it was a few tears ago and both types were obviously being used.

Would the pressed have been more likely to cause this problem?

It was identical on all the beams on both sides of the church tower. The beams weren't bending or bowing. It was exactly where the doubles were and they were cutting through.

Surely there must have been a design fault with the weight distribution or should have not used that type of beam in the first place?

Morning Davo777
Thanks for the response.
I would guess that the pressed due to its profile would be more likley to cut into the tube than a DF Double which has a flatter profile. (I was looking for the answer myself to be honest)

The more you load the pressed double the sharp edges would tend to cut into the alloy.

As to design fault that could depend on many things, had to say without seeing the situation.
Regards
Alan

Top Bottom