• No.

Votes: 27 45.8%
  • Unsure.

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
J

Jason-Gibbs

Poll: Should Steel Unit Beams be Banned?

Hi guys.

The job im working on atm has some pretty meaty jobs going up, like massive Scaffolds beamed over a Railway line and stuff like that and we're using ALOT (maybe a few hundred) Steel Unit Beams. :eek:

And to be honest, i fukking hate the things... They are horrible, heavy, awkward to use and just so outdated that im sure they used the same things when they built Stonehendge about 7,000 years ago, lol.

The thing is, is that im no wimp, but i also dont want to smash my back in carrying and lifting things that nearly weigh as much as a small car.
With Health and Safety constantly rammed down our necks, day and night, how comes that we are still being made to lift and carry these poxxy things, when there ARE lighter and easier to use alternative out there.
They are more expensive, but surely if they are lighter and easier, then we would erect/strike the jobs with them in faster, so over time they would be just as cost effective as the Steel ones? :idea:

Should Steel Unit Beams be banned?
Yes or No?

I vote YES.
But your opinions and votes would be great.

Thanks guys.
Jay.

Last edited:
I voted No Jason just because there will still be some guy's out there who still like and use them and probably designers who don't have to lift them who will specify them in drawings. I do sympathise big time though, I hate the things and got rid of them right early doors when I realised there was an alternative with alloy.

I voted yes for the simple reason that alloy diamond beams will do everything steel beams will do

ive voted no scaffolding has been around for many years and will be when i die people abuse the use of haki beams and the younger ones coming into the game need to learn how to use and lift these heavy unit beams they have it to easy these days

I have a few left in stock,but as I'm setting up this new yard of mine they'll all be used to do the roof over the racks. We have plenty of the alloys now and haven't used them for years, and I wont be buying any more,always hated the damn things.

I have a few left in stock,but as I'm setting up this new yard of mine they'll all be used to do the roof over the racks. We have plenty of the alloys now and haven't used them for years, and I wont be buying any more,always hated the damn things.

Thats all they are good for or weighed in as scrap

I am surprised that in today's H&S world & with the big emphasis on manual handling that they haven't been banned.
At ratcliffe this year all the lifting beams had to changed from alli to steel, a right pain in the arse swapping some of them over due to their position.

Not sure of the exact weight but they usually just get round that one with 2 or even 3 to a beam even with the knowledge it's not possible and at some time or another some poor scaff will be left with all the weight.

I still voted No Jason but I fully understand where you are coming from, I thought it was great to be able to lift more faster than anyone on site but with my back aching all week for no apparent reason I now realise what a twonk and should have been a bit smarter in the early days. Take my advice, no job is worth getting injured for and just because you can do it today doesn't mean there will not be a price to pay down the road, there usually is.

I voted yes so benflynnscaff and his like will go to a more suitable trade for him such as bricklaying and bench press RSJ's instead

I voted NO as when i started unit beams where a treat compared to the much loved "Ladder beams" at the time. And they are as cheap as chips now compared to the £60 :eek: a meter 750 deep beams. And unit beams are much better for crabbing along compared to the 450 ali beams.
And ali beams are like gold bars in the yard and need machine gun nests and electric fences to protect them , where as the poor old unit beams are just left knocking around the yard in favor of the ali :sad:

worked on railway stations most of my days and loved them compared to ladder beams, however ban the fuckas now because ally is far better, but will haki and the likes make them the same depth as unit beams they are much better to work on great depth for your legs with no fear of falling off, compared to shinning along a 450, you need to be atleast sober:nuts:

Owt does, stop whingeing, put the job up and get paid.......:eek:

Only kidding Guys, 6m steel ladder beams,FFS Character building kit.:D

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

worked on railway stations most of my days and loved them compared to ladder beams, however ban the fuckas now because ally is far better, but will haki and the likes make them the same depth as unit beams they are much better to work on great depth for your legs with no fear of falling off, compared to shinning along a 450, you need to be atleast sober:nuts:

Had none for 3 weeks........ then 4 came at once.

Phillios - can get new 750mm x beams £45 a metre

Jason - i vote yes i fkin hate them , we have none scrap em £200 a ton at min  beer tokens

dont have a problem with the old unit beam,would rather use them than poxy ladder beams.alli is good bit i cant get over the fact that a double does leave its mark on alli.maybe the strength and integruty of it is not all it seems.

Dont like em, but before X beams options were'nt in our hands. Some lads would still have them and ally aint cheap when works tight.
We use X beams, swear by them but the vote is no.

Celtic

We still have quite a few and still use them in design. The thing is they are 'free' to use in that they are so old they are fully depreciated. Although, we also try to be sensible and only use them at low level.

we have lots and still use them, however everytime u tell the lads to use them they do there best to use ladder beams.....scaffs here dont like using however i don't mind them coz am only telling them where to put them :p

As I'm on the other end of these unit beams from Jason when we are lifting them up, I voted a big fat yes.

Ha!

You would say that, when your on the cushty end, you fukker, lol.
That 11.5m piggy-backed span we did the other day was a right b@stard to do. :push:

Top Bottom