School boy error

i hear you mate and i do agree obviousley 2 doubles is twice the strength just that if you can do one inside then do it,saves you reaching up higher than the 2 metre lifts(pain in the asss for a short guy like myself haha)and thers all the bracing on the outside,if i sound like a cowboy i apologize its just that ive been told from day one the inside leg is fine boys

Might be ok on a system scaffold as the trannies are o the node point , but with tube and fitting the trannies are on clips , you need to catch 2 x standards or ledgers with doubles .

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

I was going to say that,but Was not sure if it was allowed with all the new rules

There aint much allowed under new rules Jonny , i sometimes wonder how we ever managed to get any scaffold up without us all dying years ago :worried:

Always Tie On Both Standards, Thats How I Was Taught Anyway, Although I See A Lot Of Scaffolds Tied With Apollo Ties On The Inside Leg Only, The Hse Are Condeming Any System (Not Just Kwikstage) Scaffold They See Like This.

if thats a hilti tie then shoudnt it need to be on 2 doubles at LEAST across the with as double is 6k/n and a hilti anchor will hold 12k/n. i think aslo what such be said is it will only ever as strong s the subtrate its in.

Here's a question for the engineers. Does a scaffold need to be tied across the width of the scaffold or is it just good practice.
Course it does, if the transomes are held on with singles they are not a weight bearing fitting. If a vehicle struck the scaffold the whole of the outside of the scaffold could just come away from the building leaving the inside standards and ledgers still attached to the wall. Basic stuff really.

Course it does, if the transomes are held on with singles they are not a weight bearing fitting. If a vehicle struck the scaffold the whole of the outside of the scaffold could just come away from the building leaving the inside standards and ledgers still attached to the wall. Basic stuff really.

Thats why using Aberdeens is the correct way just like the Aussies do.

A good scaffolder would always tie through the width of the scaffold, either picking up both standards or ledgers. Im just asking is it necessary. Many things can cause a scaffold to fail, over loading, high winds, struck by a vechile the list could go on. Im sure we have all seen a scaffold tied on the inside only, but how many of these have failed.

but how many of these have failed

If you consider the amount of scaffolds erected on a dails basis world Wide with a 1 leg tie, ,unable to answer at moment until an in depth analysis has been conducted which could take years.

Mystic Meg might be able to answer that one/

when i was at erith we was told you had to tie under every lift with load beariing fittings across the standard but who does,
then you can hilti tie to inside standards

Old Habits Die Hard specially if your on price work and cut corners cause you can hear in the distance Time Gentlemen PLEASE & you know there a possibility of a lock in.

I digess Pubs have longer Seving Hours now. Sorry

Last edited:
It's recommended that at least 50% of ties are positive,across both standards or within 300ml of a node point if across two ledgers,the other 50% can be superficial,pressure ties or of just one standard,there is a tg on this some where i'm sure,maybe some of the nasc members on here can clarify this;)

Can't believe this is even a credible arguement , any scaff that has any wit or has knowledge at all should know ties where possible should pick up bott legs or ledgers , Christ this is a weird one

jiggaman,

You are technically correct but 2 standards are recommended. The 50% thing is for reveal ties but who uses them nowadays?

I have seen a lot of Glasgow companies tie their scaffolds this way and they are perfectly fine, however it's a bit basic for me and I have never done it and to be honest the young team working with me will probably think it's poor practice as they have never seen it done.

right or wrong , to tie 1 leg when u can do 2 , is fuckin lazy

phil181, comedy genius , (the donkey is smarter than you)

Last edited:
there can be a reasons to only tie one leg , and i have had to in the past
but the way i done it was to tie the inside standard and then put a brace from the top of the tie to the outside ledger i theory its tied across 2 standards just of set ( if that makes sense)
Dont know bout the rest of the UK but in London in the 80s we used to use wire lashings on the inside ledgers as ties onto 25mm raw bolt s, and i never ever seen any problems with them with regards stability , but as the saying goes ,alls well until it goes wrong

I passed one today tied with blue rope lashed round the down pipe.:eek:

I can just hear the builder, "it's never moved yet.":laugh:

Top Bottom