scaff step

Scaff step survey.

These are the recent results of the SCCR's Scaff Step Survey

1. Does your employer or their customers insist on the scaff step being the only method used on their sites?
43.3% Use the step
33.3% Don’t work to SG4:10
23.3% Work in offshore or industrial using other more suitable methods for their environment.

The answers below are only from scaffolders that use the step on a daily basis.

The ones that use the step
54% said yes
46% said no

2. What other methods of advanced guard rails do you or your company use and what is your opinion on them?
53.3% said no other A.G.R. used
13.3% use a dummy lift but time and cost is an issue.
13.3% use a sliding tube.
6.7% use Fast Guard
6.7% use Haki Wand
6.7% use double lanyard and Wrappa Anchor

3. If you use a scaff step what type is it, does it sit on the guard rail or on the standard, does it have a ladder to the platform or not?
All have steps going to the platform
93% sit on the guardrail
7% attach to the standard

4. If you use a scaff step do you feel safe using it, do you hemp while standing on the step?
71.4% feel unsafe using the step
28.6% do not feel unsafe using the step

64.3% hemp from the step
35.7% refuse to hemp from the step

5. Do you think that the scaff step causes extra strain and fatigue to the body?
71.5% say yes
28.5% say no
One is more concerned about gin wheels

6. Are you happy with hemping over the guard rail, do you consider this dangerous.
71.4% are unhappy with hemping over guardrails
28.6% are not

85.8% consider it dangerous
14.2% do not

7. Do you use the scaff step on base lifts, if so how do you manage with uneven ground conditions?

50% use the step on base lifts and erect a foot lift if necessary
50% do not use it on base lifts

8. How are the scaff steps transported from site to site?
71.4% are transported by company vehicles
21.4% are transported in scaffolders own cars
7.2% are left on site

9. Do you consider them dangerous in wet or muddy conditions?
92.9% said yes
7.1% said no

10. Have you or have you witnessed an accident or near miss due to the use of the scaff step or hemping over the guard rail?
78.6% said they had ranging from trips because of the step cluttering lifts to broken bones losing footing on the step and dropped hemps which could have caused a fatality.
21.4% said no but 50% of them expect to see one soon.

11. Do you feel that your job is at risk if you complain about using something you consider unsafe or puts extra strain on your body?
71% said yes
29% said no

12. Do you think the SG4:05 traversing rule was adequate?
78.4% said yes although many admit it was flawed and easily abused
21.6% said no

This is a truthful and unbiased breakdown of all the replies I have received from members of the SCCR, ScaffoldersForum and readers of Scaffmag. Compiled from around 110 replies of which 15% were management.

Russell Swift
SCCR

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

The HSE are not responsible for the introduction of the scaff step in any form whatsoever.

I do work for Kier Northern and if you dont use the scaff step on there sites you get instant dismissle.There health and saftey crazy, have to put brick gaurds on every job, you have to have sole pads down on concrete.Some of the stuff us scaffolders have been called back for are unreal.The worst thing about the scaff step they want the jobs done at the same price and complain because the job takes longer! im used to it now but must admit feel like a right muppett using it!

Thanks swifty..this clears up the advantages and dis advantages of using these.;)

ha thanks deb for the vote of confidence on my intelectual capabilities..;) the reason i asked for a pic is i havnt seen or used one myself..wanted to see what the advantages or disadvantages were with them..so if anyone has any pics would you post one for me...please;)
SCAFFSTEP.jpg

I wonder what is the point of that bottom guardrail?

470mm?

Last edited:
View attachment 800

I wonder what is the point of that bottom guardrail?

470mm?

Scaffs work in breach of the W@HR 2005 on lifts and have done since the introduction of the single rail. The only way to comply is to install double guard rails and toe boards; i will gladly take the single rail over that on price:worried:

Scaffolders are allowed to work without being clipped on in a "Scaffolder safe zone" according to SG4:10 which consists of a fully boarded lift and single guardrails.

The picture with the scaffstep appears to be a poorly completed lift for other trades.

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

If you don't like the step do something about it.

Join the SCCR today!!!!!!!!

Worst Invention Ever Totally Ill Thought Out Piece Of Scrap Alloy

The Scaff-Step is good for one thing... Being used as a place to put your teas and coffees, lol.

The worst thing about any advanced guardrail system is you have to hemp over it. The most dangerous thing a scaffolder has ever been asked to do.

Not only the safety aspect but the wear & tear on the lower back!!!:mad:

Designed by a non scaffolder:(

Ragscaff

Last edited:
we have 2 use them everyday on new build houses even on first lift they do my nut in

I aint topping out over a handrail... **** that.... lethal for the scaffolder and people below...

The scaff step has NEVER made sense. Put aside your "I hate the scaff step" and think about it logically.

The new SG rules are trying to minimise personal fall protection in favour of collective. They see the scaff step as part of that.

However, you still have to clip on when using it because you are "working at height" by standing on it! You have to clip onto the ledger behind you, even though your harness will not save you if you fall back onto the lift!! You will also have to clip on as many, if not more, times than you would by working to the old SG rules.

Ladders of all variety are known to be a high cause of accidents, this is well known by HSE. Hence why we are required to put up more scaffolds than ever as trades can't "just do it off a ladder" anymore. The scaff step IS a ladder.

The scaff step does not make sense, it is a solution for a problem which isn't there, and then fails to even deal with that.

Ps. Join the SCCR!!

These are the recent results of the SCCR's Scaff Step Survey

1. Does your employer or their customers insist on the scaff step being the only method used on their sites?
43.3% Use the step
33.3% Don’t work to SG4:10
23.3% Work in offshore or industrial using other more suitable methods for their environment.

The answers below are only from scaffolders that use the step on a daily basis.

The ones that use the step
54% said yes
46% said no

2. What other methods of advanced guard rails do you or your company use and what is your opinion on them?
53.3% said no other A.G.R. used
13.3% use a dummy lift but time and cost is an issue.
13.3% use a sliding tube.
6.7% use Fast Guard
6.7% use Haki Wand
6.7% use double lanyard and Wrappa Anchor

3. If you use a scaff step what type is it, does it sit on the guard rail or on the standard, does it have a ladder to the platform or not?
All have steps going to the platform
93% sit on the guardrail
7% attach to the standard

4. If you use a scaff step do you feel safe using it, do you hemp while standing on the step?
71.4% feel unsafe using the step
28.6% do not feel unsafe using the step

64.3% hemp from the step
35.7% refuse to hemp from the step

5. Do you think that the scaff step causes extra strain and fatigue to the body?
71.5% say yes
28.5% say no
One is more concerned about gin wheels

6. Are you happy with hemping over the guard rail, do you consider this dangerous.
71.4% are unhappy with hemping over guardrails
28.6% are not

85.8% consider it dangerous
14.2% do not

7. Do you use the scaff step on base lifts, if so how do you manage with uneven ground conditions?

50% use the step on base lifts and erect a foot lift if necessary
50% do not use it on base lifts

8. How are the scaff steps transported from site to site?
71.4% are transported by company vehicles
21.4% are transported in scaffolders own cars
7.2% are left on site

9. Do you consider them dangerous in wet or muddy conditions?
92.9% said yes
7.1% said no

10. Have you or have you witnessed an accident or near miss due to the use of the scaff step or hemping over the guard rail?
78.6% said they had ranging from trips because of the step cluttering lifts to broken bones losing footing on the step and dropped hemps which could have caused a fatality.
21.4% said no but 50% of them expect to see one soon.

11. Do you feel that your job is at risk if you complain about using something you consider unsafe or puts extra strain on your body?
71% said yes
29% said no

12. Do you think the SG4:05 traversing rule was adequate?
78.4% said yes although many admit it was flawed and easily abused
21.6% said no

This is a truthful and unbiased breakdown of all the replies I have received from members of the SCCR, ScaffoldersForum and readers of Scaffmag. Compiled from around 110 replies of which 15% were management.

Russell Swift
SCCR

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

The HSE are not responsible for the introduction of the scaff step in any form whatsoever.

I think this is a really good piece of work.

smenus002.jpg

Not Good for me!!:sad:

Looks safe in the picture below but total pile of crap on site!!!
Our H&S think this is safe enough!!

Attachments

• SCAFFSTEP.jpg
    SCAFFSTEP.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
smenus002.jpg

Not Good for me!!:sad:

Looks safe in the picture below but total pile of crap on site!!!
Our H&S think this is safe enough!!

Regardless of the step your still not complying with current guidance SG4 due to the missing boards. Shoot your health and safety department!!!:D:laugh:

Have your views changed on these now that they've been about a while?

Top Bottom