scaff step

steve198622

Reaction score
who honestly uses the scaff step and advanced guard rail, we don't like n i no alot of other firms that don't, i think must be just big firms that use them!!

I agree there crap, but at least have the step on your lift..if HSE come your fucked mate..

I always get funny looks when I say this but we are using the step quite successfully. Admittedly the less time you have spent in the game the easier it was to get them to use it. No one likes change but give it a chance even the older operators seem to like it after a bit. There will always be times when it cant be used but for every day independents it's a pretty good way of keeping ahead of the safety man.

No.... cus no ****** uses em...lol...

Am i missin something here deb..didnt aom just say he was usin them quite successfully?

Your missing nothing mate, and obviously a very intelligent person noticing that ;) but how many use them, think you will find more not using than using pal...

Ha thanks deb for the vote of confidence on my intelectual capabilities..;) the reason i asked for a pic is i havnt seen or used one myself..wanted to see what the advantages or disadvantages were with them..so if anyone has any pics would you post one for me...please;)

Your very intelligent mate ;) just Google " scaffstep " plenty on there for you to see, they basically clip over the top handral giving you access ( on a 2 m lift ) to fit the next lifts single handrail, so once you get up there the handrails on...

They are crap and dangerous... but rules are rules.

The SCCR team are trying to get the HSE to re-assess their views on the Scaff-step.
Hopefully Stew and Andy will get them to listen and eventually get rid of the bloody thing.

I personally try to avoid using them at all costs.

skrtel. Google scaff step,youll get your pics. There is a thread called who invented the scaff step,you may fnd it interesting. We believe it was pushed through by someone connected to nasc. No tests on suitability,no consultation with men who have to use it.

Just had a look there on combisafes site..they look very flimsy wudnt fancy usin them..can see how they would cause a potential slip..who comes up with this cra.p..scaffs have been working without these for years..think double lanyard 100% clip on ia appropriate enough..then again its the law.

As usual Fred mate... seems that a 'friend of a friend' got a big fat backhander to invent a tin-pot piece of shiit and we are then MADE to use it... no matter how dangerous and difficult it is.

Typical.
Just typical.

God bless the NASC.
No one else will, not if they dont back their ideas up.

Yes J. as you wrote earlier,the sccr are trying to resolve it. Nasc cant be questioned. I dont see anywhere a law that says it has to be used. Health and saftey are half interested in research and questions???????

Yes J. as you wrote earlier,the sccr are trying to resolve it. Nasc cant be questioned. I dont see anywhere a law that says it has to be used. Health and saftey are half interested in research and questions???????

Is it not included to use this in hse scaffolding codes of practice fred?..if not i wouldnt use it..maybe its at the stage where the big contractors are getting a few quid for promoting it,,lol

I dont know the anwers skrtle,was hoping statements made would provide answers.

I do believe its pushed hard on nasc sites.

Is it not included to use this in hse scaffolding codes of practice fred?..if not i wouldnt use it..maybe its at the stage where the big contractors are getting a few quid for promoting it,,lol

Yes its included in SG4:10 (ACoP so would be expected to be followed) but this is not the only method of collective fall protection there are others; i think its just a case that this is the most cost effective method to comply with the 2m lifts for most companies.

Once your used to it, its not bad its just a case of working with it. The young guns coming in now will just do it as they know different its just us older ones who can remember the good old days.

Problem is things change and move on if you don't move with it you get left behind!:sad:

Last edited:
Top Bottom