run before you can walk

Just finished my advanced course after 13 years experience and didnt learn anything really. The instructor just gave us drawings and said get on with it and if you asked him a question he`d just say "depends what it says on the design".
He also said your not competent unless you have a card no matter how much experience you had. I confronted him about this and then he changed his mind saying that with the card you are poven compitent which makes the diffrence when applying for work. You`ve been assessed & observed to prove your competency.
But as mentioned before it., I might not have learnt much on the course but get the card which hopefully gets you the job or whats the point doing it.

You can be Scaffolding for about 3 weeks and be f.ucking mustard at it.
This job is not hard, its physically demanding and very dangerous, but overall Scaffolding is easy to do.

But, LEGALLY you can be doing Scaffolding for 50 years and have no card and you will NOT be considered 'competent'.

A Scaffolding card is nothing more then a Bus Ticket... one that we all MUST have to get work.
Im an Advanced Scaffolder... i have been since about 22 years old, when i become a chargehand, but i was only legally a Part 1 and thats what i was paid on and thats what i was judged on and that was 8 years ago - Safety is much much more over the top nowadays.

I could do advanced stuff, but if anything went wrong, id have been in the major shiit, as also my employer would have been also...

I have my LUACAS (London Underground Card). This enables me to work on any London Underground Station, depot or track. ---> Do i need it to tell me to NOT do anything stupid, like walk on a live rail, or work without a SPIC/Watchman?

No, course not... id be a f.ucking idiot if i did, but im LEGALLY required to have that ticket, before i step foot in a close LU station.

The same thing applies to your CISRS Card.

You all know the crack.
Get your cards sorted and almost guarantee yourself a job in the future - or dont and struggle to get work in a few years.

Its b0llocks, but you know that how it is.

Good point that, at least the cards protect us from cheap immigrant labour... never thought of it that way....

I've worked on many firms that have CISRS registered Eastern Europeans.

Me too.

Some, though its a very small list are good as gold.
They act like us, talk English and do their best to fit in and work hard and well... though most are absolutely useless.

i would say if i looked into 100 bricklayers tool bags,80 would have a spanner in it, so how come those prima donna ********* can think they can be above the law ?

I put my alarm clock on a hour earlier than i need to, just so i can hate brickies that bit longer, nearly as bad as SMB's:D

Just finished my advanced course after 13 years experience and didnt learn anything really. The instructor just gave us drawings and said get on with it and if you asked him a question he`d just say "depends what it says on the design".
He also said your not competent unless you have a card no matter how much experience you had. I confronted him about this and then he changed his mind saying that with the card you are poven compitent which makes the diffrence when applying for work. You`ve been assessed & observed to prove your competency.
But as mentioned before it., I might not have learnt much on the course but get the card which hopefully gets you the job or whats the point doing it.

Woodsie, where did you do your course and what was the content? Did you complete your temporary roof and did you get to handle the pull tester?

Yes we completed the temporary roof. we did alot of shorring work including the flying shore which has now been dropped off future courses and now being replaced with a heavy duty ramp which could be used as a jumbo jet launch pad.
Hanger, dropper, cantiliver drop (which i also did on part 2) raking shore, two way shore.
Did the course at Birmingham.
The portfolio is now way easier too. No need for any evidence just write about jobs you`ve done, had mine completed before the two weeks were up and now booked on for my two day assessment in May 2012.
We did the pull test on hiltie ties which you can only use in concrete by the way not stone or brick.

Last edited:
Mmm, I think we may be getting short changed up here. They are doing the heavy duty ramp for the advanced but the rest of the course appears to be a bit on the light side. Thanks for the info Woodsie.

Oh yeh and a staircase and maybe someother stuff that i`ve already forgot lol

I worked with a lad who was working in river island or some shop, got a start as a labourer, within a month he had the money to do his part 1, there was no waiting for 6 months before he got his card he just did the course and got his part 1, then after 6 months he did his part 2, he was already collecting the evidence for his portfolio for his part 2 so he booked in early to do his 1 day assessment, so with-in 8 months he had gone from working on river island to being a basic scaffolder! and with-in 1 years he could have gone and done his advanced!
And the portfolio is easy to fake, I faked all the evidence for my advanced apart from the hangers because you just dont do any of the other scaffolds they want evidence for offshore, I know a lad who is a citb assessor and had access to the design drawings and he just made me a load of evidence and signed it up, I did try to get it done properly but most of the focal points on the rigs I went to just wernt interested, its just extra work for them!

Fairplay to the lad, you get out of life what you put in. Well some times anyhow. With that kind of attitude it show he`s keen.

plenty of east europeans were fast tracked through the cisrs scheme,i think that is another reason for the prevelance of the system cards now polluting our game

on the boy who put him through his courses i cant fault anyone who trys to better themselves,could do with more of that in this country

I realise lots of guys here will be working with tubing and fittin always , and this will not concern them , BUT , CISRS HAVE NOW DECREED THAT A GUY WHO HAS PART 2 CAN NOT GO ON A BUILDIN G SITE AND WORK WITH KWIKSTAGE UNLESS HE GETS QUALIFIED IN KWIKSTAGE , IE , GO AND PAY THESE CISRS ***** £365 FOR 2 DAY COURSE ,, SAME WITH CUPLOK AND TURNER PLUS 8 , JOB IN PAPER YESTERDAY WITH WORK IN GLASGOW,DUNDEE,ABERDEEN AND EDINBURGH , MY M8 CALLED AND SAID HE WAS PART 2 15 YEARS EXPERIENCE AND THE **** IS TELLING HIM THEY WANT/NEED PEOPLE WITH KWIKSTAGE CARDS, WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON ,

I dont believe this!
But if it is true it should be the other way round, anyone can put up pre fab scaffolds, not everyone can use tube and fitting!

this is a fact , my m8 has been on phone to cisrs training centre in hillington today , definetly happenin, right now

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

yes tecthy ure damm right

Top Bottom