run before you can walk

dico

Reaction score
is this right that somebody can come off the street ie a factory worker or a bus driver or even a macdonald burger maker!!! do a ten day course then wait six months and get a part1 scaffolders ticket if this is the way things are goingwhat will we have in ten years time:embarrest:eek:hh nearly forgot you need £980 quid

Last edited:
Been Saying That For Years Folks, Any Fruit Loop With The Price Of A Course Can Do It Never Mind Experience,Practical Knowledge,Etc Shows Cisrs Up For What It Is, A Money Making Scam

Don't know if that's still how they do it but that certainly accounts for how I first got started. I think the young team have to have site experience and touch screen just to get a labourers card then 6 months experience before going to college for 3 weeks to do a sort of induction course then another 6 months before doing their part 1, so they have been in the game 18 months before they even get a part 1.

was told aom 6 months site exsperience which can easly be sighned by the right person!!! ten day course they say 2 weeks as it sounds beter then wait 6 months and your a part1 scaffolders alls well if youve learnte a little but if you havent your being carried the systems wrong and in some cases i would say dangerous!!!

I would agree but I started as a site labourer then got sent on my part 1 without ever having touched scaffolding and I remember exactly how dangerous I was but the post above shows exactly how it is done in our neck of the woods now but might be different else where.

The courses for scaffolding are a joke and everyone knows it. you cant scaffold after 2 weeks on a part 1 its all down to who you work with. if your lucky enough to work with a time served scaff you will learn quickly and correctly but this is left to chance once you leave the course they have no idea what you are doing.
Sit on your arse for a few months do your part 2 and you will pass then your a qualified scaff with not only your own life but the life of all trades in your hands.

scaffolders are the backbone of the country all the maintenance on power stations,chemical sites etc would stop new builds would stop.
all these trades that we are not a part of need us or they would not work.
its about time everyone realised this instead of treating us like idiots.

I have had issues with training in the past but if I thought it wasn't worth it I would have given up long ago. What about the portfolio section that must be signed off surely that can't be faked? There is much I would change and if I was ever an instructor I would without doubt be the most hated man amongst the young team at least until they realised how much more advanced they are compared to the ones who didn't come to me.

part one does'nt qualify you to scaffold though, its only a trainee qualification...

as with you aom you wouldnt put your men through unless they had exsperience theve been taught the right way and you wouldnt waste your moneys and time unless youve had faith in these men its a shame the system dosent get filtered now and again as for portphollio i think its a hundred quid to get someone to fill one in these days

Surely it would only take 5 minutes and a couple of phone calls to verify a portfolio?

is this right that somebody can come off the street ie a factory worker or a bus driver or even a macdonald burger maker!!! do a ten day course then wait six months and get a part1 scaffolders ticket if this is the way things are goingwhat will we have in ten years time:embarrest:eek:hh nearly forgot you need £980 quid

If this is all true who is going to make the McDonalds burgers?

As already stated the part 1 is only a trainees card.having gained the part 1 you are then allowed to work on the erection of scaffolds along with journeymen scaffolders,none of us were born with spanners on everyday is an education.
The ecitb and the earlier eitb cards were dished out willy nilly and guys looked after.
I feel that unless scaffolding gets the full trade recognition it deserves with a proper apprenticeship then we will always be having this debate

I was working for the Salvation Army, as a Trumpet Master, 6 months ago and i found a paper clipping about Scaffolders and how they 'could' earn over £9.50 an hour, so i did a few courses and here i am.

IT WAS THE WORST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!!!

:amazed::laugh::cheesy:

Seriously though... the CITB do need to sort out their policy, as it seems that they are more interested in a pound note, then actually doing their jobs correctly.

6 months is NO WAY near enough time to be let loose on a site and asked and given the responsibility to put a Scaffold up unsupervised.
F.uck me, i was Labouring for over 3 years before i was even allowed near a fitting, let alone let run riot over a job.

It should be:
  • 0 - 2.5 years = Labourer.
  • 2.5 - 5 years = Trainee.
  • 5 - 7.5 year = Part 1 Scaffolder.
  • 7.5 - 10 years = Part 2 Scaffolder.
  • 10 years + = Advanced Scaffolder.
At the very least.

I was working for the Salvation Army, as a Trumpet Master, 6 months ago and i found a paper clipping about Scaffolders and how they 'could' earn over £9.50 an hour, so i did a few courses and here i am.

IT WAS THE WORST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!!!

:amazed::laugh::cheesy:

Seriously though... the CITB do need to sort out their policy, as it seems that they are more interested in a pound note, then actually doing their jobs correctly.

6 months is NO WAY near enough time to be let loose on a site and asked and given the responsibility to put a Scaffold up unsupervised.
F.uck me, i was Labouring for over 3 years before i was even allowed near a fitting, let alone let run riot over a job.

It should be:
  • 0 - 2.5 years = Labourer.
  • 2.5 - 5 years = Trainee.
  • 5 - 7.5 year = Part 1 Scaffolder.
  • 7.5 - 10 years = Part 2 Scaffolder.
  • 10 years + = Advanced Scaffolder.
At the very least.

wheres this job for 9.50 might pass it on to 21s j

these debates are hilarious , we all know its not what u know but who , its always been the same, if u have money for the courses and have a friend then ure in, come on people , i bet loads of us know some steroid pumpin M*****F***** who spends money on the course gets his part 1 and then ends up earnin shitloads or workin offshore or somethin like that ,, also whats the one about youre not a scaff unless youve been in jail , how dyou think that came about , cause theres loads of people who see it as an easy job to get into and earn good money , after a fuckin 10 day course lost count of people ive worked with with storys like that , our industry always has been and always will be A BIG JOKE.

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

JASON GIBBS you must have hard a hard life in scaffolding , you want guys to work for 10 years before there a part 2, thats taken it a bit too far m8 , you realise that would mean people workin for pennies for 10 years, if that was the case there would not be any scaffolders.

I can see what your saying, but have a little faith mate. Things will get better, i mean they must do... they cant get any worse, lol.

Maybe 10 years is a bit much, buts its just a generalisation.
Theres blokes out there, that even after 20 years will never make more then an average/below average Scaffolder, as they just dont have that certain something in them and theres kids (like 19 year olds), who after 2 years can pretty much do anything you ask them, as they do have a spark for the job.

On your Part 2 course you do a Cantilevered 'Dropper'/Hanger and a Cantilevered Trussout. Now id not fancy letting a freshly out of college 19 year old with about 2 years total experience to do one of those, without having someone half sensible keeping an eye on him.
Its just too risky.

People need real time to learn and actual experience and need to learn how to Labour, before you do the basics and you need to learn the basics before you do the more advanced stuff.

Thats what i think anyway. :)

I can see what your saying, but have a little faith mate. Things will get better, i mean they must do... they cant get any worse, lol.

People need real time to learn and actual experience and need to learn how to Labour, before you do the basics and you need to learn the basics before you do the more advanced stuff.

Thats what i think anyway. :)

Bit like passing your driving test, the more you drive the more experience you pick up and the more confident you feel.

Top Bottom