Render adapt

WheresThatGoneDan

Reaction score
Im working on a lead bitter site and the scaffold has been 'deemed unsafe to use'. The reason for this - the inside board has been removed, for plasters to render - the safety bloke reckons the gap is too dangerous and should not exceed 200mm. A board is 225mm for fks sake! The solution - inside handrails all 4 lifts on a bloke of apartments!
Is this right? Or have we missed something hear
Any thoughts lads....

Last edited:
Not often a saftey officer will put his name to a minimum or maximum gap. he's commited him self now.

Last edited:
we had same problem not so long ago, in the end the safety guy said we was doin right as the maximum gap was 260mm n our gap was only 250mm... i think it is who ya know n also what site your on to be honest...

There is no min or max gap...it's down to risk assessment, unless the company has a min/max gap in its own safety policy.

If they want inside handrails they can have them charged accordingly. Do they want a double guardrail with toeboard?

The sequencing (adoptions for plasterers to render) isnt your problem...give our client whatever he requires just make sure it complies with current good practice and standard and CHARGE your client for the service you provide.

Simples!!

try your local suppliers, or local one in essex does a 6" board. gets you over loads of hese problems. rotameads in essex defo do these

The max gap is 300mm, though you can allow more than that if a risk assessment is carried out for it.

Did he ask for single guardrails on the inside? It amuses me that many "safety officers" ask for inside guardrails on jobs with a gap but ask for a single guardrail. A single guardrail is not good enough for other trades, if you want it guardrailed, you get a double. Good luck reaching over it.

If you just put a single guard rail in then the gap betwen toe board and hand rail is more than 470. If there is an accident the blame goes back to the scaffolder.

Im working on a lead bitter site and the scaffold has been 'deemed unsafe to use'. The reason for this - the inside board has been removed, for plasters to render - the safety bloke reckons the gap is too dangerous and should not exceed 200mm. A board is 225mm for fks sake! The solution - inside handrails all 4 lifts on a bloke of apartments!
Is this right? Or have we missed something hear
Any thoughts lads....

300mm - Independent
150mm - Birdcage

Have been saying fer a good few years now,get the other trades to use a safety harness when in these sort of situations,they can clip on and work to their hearts content with no inner h-rail which none of the trades seem to want.
Let them get neck and bollox sores then.

There is no min or max gap...it's down to risk assessment, unless the company has a min/max gap in its own safety policy.

If they want inside handrails they can have them charged accordingly. Do they want a double guardrail with toeboard?

The sequencing (adoptions for plasterers to render) isnt your problem...give our client whatever he requires just make sure it complies with current good practice and standard and CHARGE your client for the service you provide.

Simples!!

Thanks, this is the most reasonable solution, but it frustrating when you find out these things AFTER and not when your erecting, just more fking about on an already busy site and gets lads backs up, you know how it is

Maybe you should suggest the renderer wear a harness.

I feel this is a case of “its not what you’ve got its how you use it”.
The norm would be to keep the gap a small as reasonably practicable. There is no minimum specified in TG20 this falls to WAH Regs.
The issue is one for the end user under their risk assessment and method statement. These dictate the safe method of work required, this may include a harness and not allowing people to work above or below you.

---------- Post added at 06:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 AM ----------

i thought the recommendations were 225mm is an acceptable maximum gap anything over should be guard railed off, if you want to lose a guard rail or both then a risk assessment must be carried out and a safe system of work used?

Bri, no unless I am mistaken there is no guidance on the size of gap.

As Alan says the issue is one for the end user and / or the person procuring the scaffold. They must inform the scaffold contractor what they require.

With respect it just clouds the issue when scaffolders / scaffold contractors offer their opinion or suggested method of overcoming the problem (such as harness wearing), this distracts from the fact that it is the clients (by that I mean the person procuring the scaffolding) problem - he should find a solution and if that includes scaffolding work or adaption he should instruct that to be done and pay for it accordingly.

I agree, all done under risk assessment. There was talk a while back that this was no good as the hse tried to put the emphasis back on the scaffolding contractor but we do this a fair bit and just hand it over again after any alteration to form gap as requested. My thinking behind that is they have been given as requested and I have paper work to that effect. Not entirely sure how good the lawyer would need to be to get round it though. For me it's just not as simple as putting in a double rail and toe board as we all know no one could work and who would want to pay for something that was not fit for their purpose?

WHR 2005 from Were ever a person can fall. (Risk Asessment) Tricky one

Exactly, always back heel it to the end user.:idea:

The wording states there should be no permissable gaps in the working platform.

Top Bottom