Question for an instructor

Big answer I want is what is the sheering breaking point on a swiv,it's fair enough teaching the swl of a double and swivel are the same but there has to be a massive discrepancy in the shearing off of a swivel,then maybe it would encourage more double on double action lol

Would take a lot of force, the sort of force that would bend some of the weaker doubles I'd imagine?

Big answer I want is what is the sheering breaking point on a swiv,it's fair enough teaching the swl of a double and swivel are the same but there has to be a massive discrepancy in the shearing off of a swivel,then maybe it would encourage more double on double action lol

you refering to the rivet and the body of the doubble? would ther be away of testing that that didnt involve the slip of the fitting or the breackage of the bolt? if you get me

Joe, where the feck were you when I was getting ripped to bit's for this only a week ago. Wish I could remember the thread but you are bang on. No one believed me when I said they were banned for saddles then it seemed to disappear as they slid back in to common use. Maybe they were not actually banned but there sure was a lot of chat years back about it.

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

I'm talking about the swivels.

Yes,the weakest point on the swiv is the joint,surely that must come into play in the forces put on it,maybe the swl fails far sooner than it would ever shear but when weight is put directly down onto the fitting as on a saddle loaded with brick,that would be far weaker than a solid double:idea:

Joe, where the feck were you when I was getting ripped to bit's for this only a week ago. Wish I could remember the thread but you are bang on. No one believed me when I said they were banned for saddles then it seemed to disappear as they slid back in to common use. Maybe they were not actually banned but there sure was a lot of chat years back about it.

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

I'm talking about the swivels.

This swivel shear is in EN74. I think it's 17kn but I don't have the books to hand. Next I was witnessing EN74 double testing and the gate of the double broke, not the rivet at 8.6 tonne.

Drop forged, I was watching it along with a few others, all failed around the same

Had a bespoke L/bay gate made out of T&F and the Swivel joint snapped on the transom fulcrum arm, for what reason i know not, however, i think the FLT tried to lift it with his forks.

You're average scaff is not going to have that information Ian. It's a common belief that certain fittings are stronger than others just with the feeling you get from working with them.

just like a board aom you no when there gana snap or go they have that deadly creek about them!!! one little push in the right place and snap!!!!

Exactly, and with the amount of bending and twisting we now see from pressed fittings it is any wonder we think they are weaker.

From my experience its common belief that drop forges are the strongest, prescos are your average the stickys are the poorest quality barely worthy of holding a handrail.

Kinda similar here although I do think the stickies are OK. Obviously we are wrong with the test results quoted but that's why testing is carried out. I still don't use drop forged though simply because the T bar making you think it's tight when it's not.

Top Bottom