puncheon double fitting

downash

Reaction score
right lads,
im working along side a knowall bullshitter.
his latest quote is regarding which way round the double goes.
now ive been involved in scaffolding for 30 yrs & have always put it on
the puncheon with the bolt under the ledger.
he says its with the bolt on top!.
i think its ********!!.
hope im correct,so i can ram it up him!

I always have and always will put one double upside down on a punch-up gate on top ,it makes life a lot easier , But i think they teach at the CITB to put it with the bolt on top as far as i see it aint know weaker , ask him to explain WHY bet he cant ;)

always upside down . some people argue that if its upside down the bolt can be knocked out if any thing falls on it. if its not upside down its easy not to realise its a puncheon or dropper and thats when you drop the fooker

does the bullshitter live bristol way ?its how some of them are taught its how the training moduals illustrates the double on a puncheon ,there not on there own theres two russians and one polish kid on our job doit all the time,they doent board out across the ledgers by anychance does he.

Its ALWAYS upside down!

Puncheon = Double upside down - with the tube all the way UP in the air.
Dropper = Double upside down - with the tube all the way DOWN below.
Raker = Double normal way up.

3 reasons that i know of why its done like this are:

1. Its easier to 'hang' a Puncheon on your Ledger if the Double is upside down.
2. When some numpty is striking your job, if the Double is upside down, hopefully it will let them know its a Puncheon/Dropper and not start undoing it, before they look what is connected to it.
3. Is because a gate is FAR stronger then a bolt and theres almost no chance of a gate failing, where i bolt 'in theory' could snap, under massive pressure.

Simples. :)

The bloke your working with is full of shiit, lol.

Obviously everyone should check the configuration of the scaffold before dismantling. Always put them on with the bolt under myself as easy to do a 21 on your own that way impossible if the bolt is on top. Have heard the argument that if bolt is under something can knock it out but its the same as putting a dropper in on a hanger you can not do the bolt up and leave it hanging on the gate it will stay there. As far as having it upside down to show others its a puncheon then can always put another double on the handrail or next ledger to act as a warning.
The most important thing is to look at what your doing to avoid dropped objects like the amount of stuff they drop over here.

Never heard a gate is stronger then a bolt Jason , and i have seen a good few " drop gate" fittings in my time but never a snapped bolt :unsure:

i am sure we all know on here how a double works and is tested yes a slip test, so with that in mind a double has the same SWL what ever way it is used and if using it gate on top makes it easier for us to erect certain jobs then i for one embrace it

right lads,
im working along side a knowall bullshitter.
his latest quote is regarding which way round the double goes.
now ive been involved in scaffolding for 30 yrs & have always put it on
the puncheon with the bolt under the ledger.
he says its with the bolt on top!.
i think its ********!!.
hope im correct,so i can ram it up him!

Always upside down, that way you and anyone else who strips the job knows its a puncheon... strength wise it makes no difference to the double... tell him to fuk off and slap him...lol

up side down always how ever ive worked with a few b*ll sh****s scaff this particular scaff asked why i was using a double as a puncheon and not a clip as this is how they do it in oz my reply go back to oz

A double its tested in every way it will hold over 12 kn (1.2 tonn)
but the safe working load for the doubble is 6.5 kn (0.65tonn ) thats class b i think .a class a wil safely hold 9.7 i think but you can put a doubble on any way for a puncheon it will hold had the argument with an advanced of 20 years and he said it should be put the right way round as the pin in the gate is more likely to snap than the bolt. But if it put on bolt at the bottom you automaticaly know what the purpose of that doubble is when upside down its for a puncheon / dropper always put it upside down if its not broke dont fix it

I was always learnt to put my gates so even if the bolt was released somehow the gate would jam against the standard or ledger etc even my swivels on a sway brace for example the top swivel and bottom swivel has the gate in the same bay, pushing against each other kind of hope you know what i mean.

I was always learnt to put my gates so even if the bolt was released somehow the gate would jam against the standard or ledger etc even my swivels on a sway brace for example the top swivel and bottom swivel has the gate in the same bay, pushing against each other kind of hope you know what i mean.

Thats what i was told ss75 always gate to gate.

Always did them bolt to bolt as I am right handed and it was slightly quicker to wrap them up.

I was just taught if doing it your way that if for any reason the bolts were not fastened properly or got sheared type of thing your tube would just drop out where as me an oldscaffs tubes would stay lodged in place as the tube dropped the gates would jam against standards etc etc

Maybe you porridge munchers are so hard up there ye dinna care bout a tube over the knappa from height :laugh::laugh:

always put one upside down and other one on normal but my mate has told me tht some guys down south put them on normal way even on hangers personally i think the must be sum amout of pressure on the bolt if on hanger normal way each to there own thou

Top Bottom