Older then 'Old Father Scaff...?'

J

Jason-Gibbs

Hi guys.

Striking an old job inside one of the plant rooms at Vandenburgs, Purfleet.

I come across this old beauty!
I aint got a clue what its called, but its like finding an old fossil... needs to be preserved and handles with care, lol.

jason-gibbs-albums-misc-photos-picture1222-old-beam-clamp-being-used-striking-old-job-inside-one-plant-rooms-vandenburgs-purfleet-i-come-across-old-beauty-i-aint-got-clue-what-its-called-but-its-like-finding-old-fossil-needs-preserved-handles-care-lol.jpg

jason-gibbs-albums-misc-photos-picture1221-old-beam-clamp-after-use-striking-old-job-inside-one-plant-rooms-vandenburgs-purfleet-i-come-across-old-beauty-i-aint-got-clue-what-its-called-but-its-like-finding-old-fossil-needs-preserved-handles-care-lol.jpg

Can anyone give us a clue to what this is called?
Or, if they have used these before...?

It'll be nice to hear if anyone else has seen these before and what they think. :)

Jay---that is an S.K,---named after the inventor Stevie Knight---

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

Used them Offshore for butts on steelwork hangers ect ect

Was superseded by the Gravlock...

IMHO still a good fitting especially in tight spot...

This is the SK beam clamp 1975+
This was the Stevie Knight scaffold beam clamp it was band after some years as it had a week point the bolt on the top of flat clamp was snapping off and breaking so it was takin out of service.
Some scaffolding firms sued poor old Stevie Kinght as they had a lot of stock of this fitting

Oooooh!!!
THATS an SK. :embarrest:

Ive always called these SK's:

272x340_125371952813185.jpg

You know, SK or Beam Clamp or Gravlok... i always thought that it was different terms for different areas?
Like a Clip or Wrap, or Single or Pigs Ear and so on.

See... you learn something new everyday, lol. :D

Btw, i dont like it much, lol.
Prefer a Gravlok.

Jay---have you ever seen this one---its an underdeck 2000---inventor Ricky Morgan, Welsh Scaffolder...

Attachments

• STA60570.jpg
    STA60570.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 92
  • STA60571.jpg
    STA60571.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 65
Built in check...

Attachments

• STA60009.jpg
    STA60009.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 31
  • STA60010.jpg
    STA60010.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 34
No mate, thats a new one.

Ive seen one similar, thats used to pinch wood, so you can effectively tie a Scaffold frame to wooden battons for Hoarding. :)
Very similar to that. Used them over at Farringdon Train Station a few months ago.

Thats a strange looking fitting though.
Im guessing the double gates means that you dont have to Check Fitting it?

J

also double bolt on jaws so you can maintain the threads---loosen and wire brush and lube clip one at a time...

Loosen and Lube...

Thats what ive been trying to get my Missus's into the last few months! :amazed::D

Seriously though, as always, a good reply and thanks for giving me some decent info. I like finding out new stuff like that, sad as i am, lol.
I bow to your knowledge sir. :)

It is credit to you Jas---an inquiring mind---and shows a willingness to learn...

I am merely passing on knowledge that was taught to me by true Scaffolders that have gone before us...

Chase the peril of wisdom Jas, you are the new Generation...

Oooooh!!!
THATS an SK. :embarrest:

Ive always called these SK's:

272x340_125371952813185.jpg

A very common myth! The SKs are the very old design, and few actually know what SK stand for. Go on ask someone, bet you they reply "uuuuuh, Steel Klamp?"

Honestly I still refer to these as SKs too :embarrest:

nice info and some nice pics. who on earth calls clips pigs ears must be either cockneys or the sheep sh@ggers

I think its a Cockney thing, lol.
Me? I call them Clips, as im a Cockney, but a normal one, if there is such a thing, lol.

Before the advent of the SK; Gravelock and the underdeck 2000, we used Millsez P.C's ( for the uninitiated,pictured below ) and SBG D/H hooks :eek:

Attachments

• STA60588.jpg
    STA60588.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 17
  • STA60586.jpg
    STA60586.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 18
  • STA60587.jpg
    STA60587.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 19
Jay---have you ever seen this one---its an underdeck 2000---inventor Ricky Morgan, Welsh Scaffolder...

are these legal ? i see what its for, to replace a but or lacing tube but if it got a nock it would be gone and slight movement could loosen it. cant see these being legal tender

I'm afraid there's no such thing as a normal cockney haha them millsez can't have a good slip resistance surely

Garry I remember the Mill's hooks as we used to call them. Always found they were good for toeboard clips.

The Mills doubles as well with the speedthread, brings back memories. They were a good fitting but took a bit of getting used to.

Benjo---one of the best fittings around ;)

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Euro

Underdeck 2000 are used in pairs---as is Gravlocks ect...

Top Bottom