Offshore - Core Crew?

Offshore is not always cracked up to what it supposed to be.... There is a lot of good comments from various members on this thread.
I've had a steady number for the past year....I've been on a 5/5 rotation. I'm on a ship....the only reason why I'm doing it, is because of the Tax status. I've been here now 4 weeks....and only in the past few days have I actually bein busy.
I'm the only scaff on my shift, and the help I have ( if available ) are Spanish and Malaysian so called riggers! Some of the boys are keen... But it's hard work trying to communicate.
But you be surprised how fast you learn to speak Malay or Spanish .
This is not a place that I intend to live out my life.... There are guys here doing 12 week trips for peanuts... I came on 4 weeks ago, I saw a guy I recognised going off after being here for 12 weeks.... After 3 weeks at home he is back on again.... (Fcuk that).
I will be heading home next week, and then this vessel will be in dry dock in about a months time.... Then I will do a final trip then....with like minded scaffs.... On some project work...and have some crack too.

Good post Anto, in my limited experience, few things are as good as expected. I remember as a young boy working the sites, two semi experienced oilers were giving me a hard time about wasting my time working locally and I should head for the rigs. As soon as I stepped aboard I knew it was going to be a tough shift just getting through the day. I always enjoyed the graft, but 6 in a room on some stinking barge was never my idea of fun. I know it's changed days and I did have a few good berths from time to time but even the best was just a means to an end.

i left a cracking job on a construction project crew to take a job as core on 3 and 2.I did the 2 weeks and rapped it was the longest 2 weeks of my life.
It was on an FPSO nad the deck crew were all merchant seamen and waankers.
There were 3 blaster painters from Southsheilds who i sat to ahve my dinner with and have a wee bit of banter,i didnt even speak to the cuunts i worked with during the day.
I ahve had other offers since and knocked them back,it would be wasted on me so give it to someone who wants it.
I will stick to being an industrial gypsy as someone once said HAVESPANNERWILLTRAVEL;)

Ha ha, pretty much how I remember it. :laugh:

As long as the money is paid in every week, and its half sensible, then i could'nt give a monkies what the conditions are like to be truthful.
Cant be worse then Streetwork, grafting, not much breaks, shiite money, no washing facilities, ect.

Hardest thing will be for me, is that im a Cockney b@stard, in a place surrounded by Northeners, Taffs and Jocks...
That, i think is gonna be my only downfall - i was born in the wrong part of the country.

As long as the money is paid in every week, and its half sensible, then i could'nt give a monkies what the conditions are like to be truthful.
Cant be worse then Streetwork, grafting, not much breaks, shiite money, no washing facilities, ect.

Hardest thing will be for me, is that im a Cockney b@stard, in a place surrounded by Northeners, Taffs and Jocks...
That, i think is gonna be my only downfall - i was born in the wrong part of the country.

All joking aside mate, i think that indeed is going to be your problem. by all accounts it can be very cliquely out there!

Street work is great in the summer can't beat it, watching all the short skirts go by. In the winter it can be the worst job going. Being self employed don't have much of a choice out in it come rain or shine but In the summer best job going.

I think I worked with them all out there Jase and it can be clanish. Other than the local Jocks I always seemed to get on with the boro boys the best and found them very very funny. If you go out as the big I am you will crash and burn like a pan am jet, same everywhere really.

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

Street work is great in the summer can't beat it, watching all the short skirts go by. In the winter it can be the worst job going. Being self employed don't have much of a choice out in it come rain or shine but In the summer best job going.

Horses for courses Woodsie, everyone wants different things at different times in their life and priorities change.

No probs getting money paid in.... I usually leave my gaf with a couple a hundred ( in case of emergency) and I arrive home with the same amount, with the exception of the price of a Couple of well deserved pints in the airport...
I'm well fed, full use of the gym.... And I bring home smokes to those who smoke...200 for €12. Then obviously add my commission.

But you really have to learn to switch off, read a book, study etc etc...bit like prison.... But paid.:mad:

The missus keeps encouraging me to take my survival, but never fancied it to be honest. I was talking to someone who had just done his first trip last year, and I have to admit he made it sound very tempting with his talk of cinema, gym and steak nights. on the flipside there does seem to be long spells of monotony, teduim and boredom!

With all the chat that geos on about offshore, i would love to give it a go. Even if its for 6-12 months at least you can say you've done it..

No probs getting money paid in.... I usually leave my gaf with a couple a hundred ( in case of emergency) and I arrive home with the same amount, with the exception of the price of a Couple of well deserved pints in the airport...
I'm well fed, full use of the gym.... And I bring home smokes to those who smoke...200 for €12. Then obviously add my commission.

But you really have to learn to switch off, read a book, study etc etc...bit like prison.... But paid.:mad:

Having the time to study would be good.
Im looking forward to it. Go there, keep my head down and do what im asked to the best of my ability - which is what i pretty much do anyway.

With all the chat that geos on about offshore, i would love to give it a go. Even if its for 6-12 months at least you can say you've done it..
Exactly. Last page in the book for me.
And it opens up more doors then all the other types of work combined.

No probs on the norf & sarf aspect theres been mixed motley Tigers performing & enduring out there since 70s.

Last edited:
Anto good speech my man r u by any chance on the seaway lifting vessels courtesy of Harsco holland?

Anto good speech my man r u by any chance on the seaway lifting vessels courtesy of Harsco holland?

Somewhere off Norway at moment. Move to new location of Denmark in a few days....then I'm offski..... Next job on my return will be dry dock....unless I win the lotto.....:toung:

Norway as expensive as they say?
Heard the work is good, but the cost of beer is shocking. :eek:

Top Bottom