Offshore - Core Crew?

J

Jason-Gibbs

Been looking about for various Offshore work the last week and there is not too much with regards to Core Crew Scaffolding.

Now, i know that Core Crew is kinda 'permanent' - you still get your rotation, but its not one trip and you could be NRB or moved to another rig, its like 20 trips on the same rig or what ever.

But what exactly is 'Core Crew'?
What does it mean in real terms?
Why are these jobs more rare?
Is Core Crew more beneficial?

Opinions please. :)

Plenty will disagree with me Jase but it's the most boring job in the world. I got very friendly with the rig welder as he always had a hot work permit on the go and I could spend large chunks of my day smoking and drinking tea.

You will also have to educate a crew who don't place a great deal of credence to scaffolding despite what they tell you in the paper work. I kicked a job off for the sparkies on an overhead crane, put the square in, droppers in and then the bottom square. Went for a brew and came back and the daft fookers were on it. I have a few stories like that, each one a total nightmare.

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

I should have added, contracting is where it's at. My favourite job offshore was when we were flying onto a rig with a chopper full of pipefitters and welders to do a specific contract and didn't leave until it was complete. If I couldn't get that, it would be hookups (which are a thing of the past) or shutdowns, working for one of the main service providers. Core crew is working direct for the operator of the platform usually but it could still be with one of the service companies. When I did it, they made me do 4 trips through an agency to see if I could do the job or not before taking me on direct. I lasted just under the year I think it was before sheer boredom got to me.

I am a core crew scaff and it`s changed days aom , I work on a small platform and to be honest never get a minute , if your not scaffolding you are doing the helideck or something with the fireteam . The time off is the main benefit to being core crew 2 on 3 off and any extra time (if you are a greedy fecker) paid at time and a half . I am sure it`s different on other platforms in fact I know it is .

I knew not all would agree, and your right, it will depend where you end up, but see that helideck stuff, I could never take to it. I never liked firefighting and rescuing dummies was never my bag. The only good thing about doing the helideck was the extra inbetweenie and you got your paper. I'm not knocking it, it just didn't suit me. 3 weekers were never my bag either.

I knew not all would agree, and your right, it will depend where you end up, but see that helideck stuff, I could never take to it. I never liked firefighting and rescuing dummies was never my bag. The only good thing about doing the helideck was the extra inbetweenie and you got your paper. I'm not knocking it, it just didn't suit me. 3 weekers were never my bag either.

Would two weeks wages on a rig keep you going for five weeks?
About 2k every 5 weeks right? Works out £400 a week.

Jase my man. The chances of jumping in a core crew are seriously slim my man especially if you have no offshore experience. I know you occasionally see these positions advertised with cape but the reality is that 9 times out of 10 the position has already been filled an they only advertise this as the law requires them to. Don't get me wrong if you had your slinger/banksman, HLO heli deck ticket and advanced fire fighting you would maybe be in with a shout providing you had previous experience on other installations.
You will see for yourself when u get out the offshore environment is VERY CLEEKY and in order to progress it takes time and helps if you are related or mates with the focal points/ field co ordinators. I wish you the best of luck finding a core crew slot but from my own experience you need to bang in a few trips with one of the big 3, find a rig u get a little slot (steady 2 on 2 off) everything else should fall into place. I know guys been at stork still jumping about after 5 years still classed as long term adhoc. Good luck :D

Should be clearing closer to 3K a trip but like everything else, depends on where and who for. There will be plenty more on a fair bit more.

Depend wot field ur in buddy. Field I'm in is 2weeks on 2weeks off just under 3 grand a trip after tax. 22 weeks work for a gross salary of £55,000 plus expenses as well as the odd 3 week trip here and there an ur up bout 65k fed quality food on some rigs. feeds my family :D

Depend wot field ur in buddy. Field I'm in is 2weeks on 2weeks off just under 3 grand a trip after tax. 22 weeks work for a gross salary of £55,000 plus expenses as well as the odd 3 week trip here and there an ur up bout 65k fed quality food on some rigs. feeds my family :D

Not bad for 6 months. When u say what field u mean where U are in the country right?

The North sea is split into areas and they are referred to as fields Woodsie. Some of these fields are very close to one another and have numerous rigs in each field.

Not bad for 6 months. When u say what field u mean where U are in the country right?

Fields are owned by different oil companies and consist of anything from a couple of rigs to various. Rates and conditions change from field to field some also have different rotations. I know with Stork there can be a difference of nearly £500 a trip after tax on a 2 week trip between the good fields and the bad ones

Who would you say Rick, is the better of the 'big 3' to work for?

Cape?
Stork (RigBlast)?
Salamis?

No, but you do get free use of a life jacket that may or may not deploy when you need it.

I would probably say cape have the best working conditions, however they are just like companies back on the stations like DSL, Hertel etc. instead of blue book you have OCA rates. Certain fields pay uplifts etc. so kinda depends not only who ur with but where u are. The installations themselves range from 1 to 4 star with some having better facilities than others

Who would you say Rick, is the better of the 'big 3' to work for?

Cape?
Stork (RigBlast)?
Salamis?

one of our work team onshore is going offshore to start tuesday hes been with cape 7yrs and jumping companys wonder if that answers your question lol!!! been promised years work £300 a day two on two off seems the rigs paye the dollar these days

Yeah dico £300 a day sounds about right. Holiday camps some of them but some 2week trips can feel like a lifetime, 3 week trips are brutal. Means u only get a week off an ur back to fall in the same rota, 5days @ home really coz 2 of ur 7 u spend travelling. Good for bank balance though

Top Bottom