Offshore Changes

Reaction score
Consultant Scaffolding Manager AG&P Philippines
Anyone got an update on the offshore changes?
Apparently the HSE are instructing the scaffolding companies that due to the large amount of hangers offshore they should only have CISRS trained advanced gold card holders offshore. All basic and trainee scaffolders will be downmanned and replacement advanced scaffolders recruited.
Anyone offshore got more info?

What a load of *****, I know lads who have been offshore 20+ years with just a basic card & have done every hanger on the platform 3 or 4 times over & now the HSE are gonna try & get them down manned because they don't think their competent enough. It will never happen.

anyone got an update on the offshore changes?
Apparently the hse are instructing the scaffolding companies that due to the large amount of hangers offshore they should only have cisrs trained advanced gold card holders offshore. All basic and trainee scaffolders will be downmanned and replacement advanced scaffolders recruited.
Anyone offshore got more info?

you sure its hse and not cisrs pushing fr moe men to do advanced marra lol

What a load of *****, I know lads who have been offshore 20+ years with just a basic card & have done every hanger on the platform 3 or 4 times over & now the HSE are gonna try & get them down manned because they don't think their competent enough. It will never happen.

Isn't that exactly what happened to the ECITB boys? Its all down to training as far as the HSE and CISRS are concerned.

is the gold card ok if they done the assesssed route or is it just proper advanced cards that count.

Are you saying the assessed route isn't proper jakdan? You may upset some big guns on here if so.;)

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Fight it. Restriction of trade.

How could you possibly fight it?
Don't know if it will be a restriction of trade as the WAHR say to be competent you must have had training. I suppose the basics could still go offshore and do the little towers, man the radio while the advanced boys do the tricky stuff.:D

Wouldnt you have a case,if your sacked after 20 years of doing work that no one can teach you to do.??

Wouldnt you have a case,if your sacked after 20 years of doing work that no one can teach you to do.??

Don't think Dico has got anywhere and thats what happened to him.

I suppose it all comes down to the fact that we can't have it all ways. Loads have been on here saying that "legally" you can't scaffold without a CISRS card. The WAHR say you must be competent to scaffold which includes training and experience. So technically if you have not had recognised training on how to do a hanger then you are not competent?

I heard a while back that offshore companies would be only taking on advanced, or putting more men through they're advanced, but nothing changed so I forgot about it. Whether it is true or not that the HSE are saying that, I don't know.

Baz

Here we go again. competent,qualified bollix. 30 years of repitition and suddenly you dont know what your doing. Its a Semi skilled trade. How comes qualified scaffs from other shores aint competent over here.and vise versa.

Theres definately skill in it. but 1 week courses and all passing says something different.

Don't know where you done your trainingg, but I don't know of anyone who done a one week course at any stage of their scaffold training.

The apprentice route is 5 blocks of 2 weeks every 3 months with site experience between, then another 3 months before your Basic assesment. So that's a minimum of 18 months training/experience.

The adult rout is 6 months on site labouring, 2 weeks part 1, 6 months on site, 2 weeks part 2, 6 months on site then basic assessment. Again 18 months.

Then a minimum of 1 year before you can do your advanced course, then 6 months before your advanced assessment.

So whatever way you look at it it should be a minmum of 3 years of training and site work to get fully qualified.

Baz

Thats how it should be cod eye, anyone can book on to a part 1. T&f or system.
As for me,Ive never had a ticket,had some very good scaffs instructing me as a kid.

this was tryd before in the 70s and early 80s but because most of the Platforms are over 40 miles from shore the companies could get round it.
the likes of the Claire,Beatrice,and Captain fields in the North and a few of the Southern Sector fields may well kop for it.;)

this was tryd before in the 70s and early 80s but because most of the Platforms are over 40 miles from shore the companies could get round it.
the likes of the Claire,Beatrice,and Captain fields in the North and a few of the Southern Sector fields may well kop for it.;)

Platforms outside the 40 mile inshore zone may well be exempt. Apparently the new Overseas CISRS cards being issued in the Middle East for a 5 day course will be accepted on these platforms as they are outside of British control. This will open the floodgates for cheap workers from Asia. Offshore camp bosses are already being trained in the new food requirements such as lentil soup, lentil curry and lentil ice cream.

Platforms outside the 40 mile inshore zone may well be exempt. Apparently the new Overseas CISRS cards being issued in the Middle East for a 5 day course will be accepted on these platforms as they are outside of British control. This will open the floodgates for cheap workers from Asia. Offshore camp bosses are already being trained in the new food requirements such as lentil soup, lentil curry and lentil ice cream.

cheaper workers hope this dont affect the supervisors and managers running jobs out there. you will have to lose the pool and go to 3 star accomidation instead haverspanner:laugh:

cheaper workers hope this dont affect the supervisors and managers running jobs out there. you will have to lose the pool and go to 3 star accomidation instead haverspanner:laugh:

I won't downsize for anyone dico!!
The number of overseas jobs has been steadily decreasing over the years. Now you get situations where an Asian who has done a course with Cape or such like insists that a scaffold is for access only despite the heading being Heavy Duty Lateral Support Scaffold followed by 10 pages of calculations!!
Thank god I am retiring!!

Top Bottom