Neebosh

I would say to anyone wanting to do it give it a go but dont have fantastic expectations as most jobs out there ask for experience, i was lucky as i was offshore in a real safe environment and i had my leave to study outside of night school. If you get asked to do it or fancy it its good experience. Having said that it took me two years to get a full time safety job and i had to leave the rigs and take a 13k pay cut to go to the bottom of a better ladder, i've recovered that now but it took a few years.

Ian

cracking thread there lads, went out last night so couldn't join in,(i would probably have spoilt it) lots of good info for fellow scaffs take your time and think about the next move of your career.

good luck slav 80 on your exam:D

Excellent read this thread and spot on to the industry at this current time. I also hit the books and achieved the NEBOSH General cert to interlink with my Scaffolding quals ! It was hard work to get it but to use it its like everything you just need a break ! Just saying !!

Damo. Do some research as to where you intent to sit your course. I did mine at the mines rescue centre in Mansfield. We had 2 tutors one guy was in his 70's & a founder member of NEBOSH & the other guy was in his 80's & had an OBE for services to H&S.
Without wanting to sound harsh to 2 very experienced men, they were fkuking clueless as to today's modern methods & equipment. In the working at heights section if we had followed their advice we would all be jail by now. I had to keep correcting them throughout the sessions. I could go on but it would take all night + I want to watch England thrash the kiwis at rugby :)
One other point that's been mentioned. Most companies employ H&S ADVISORS. The main purpose of these men is to stop the company from legal ramifications should it's operatives screw up. They are viewed as being counterproductive & end up taking **** from both sides & usually for very little money. I was asked if I'd consider taking in on at ratcliffe earlier this year until they told me it was £28k. I was polite in declining.
I had to do mine as H&S was a major part of my role as a senior contract manager for a large flat roofing company. If you asked me would I do it off my own back just for the ticket? I would have to say no, although it is a big eye opener as to much onus the H&S act 1974 put on each individual.
Good luck with whatever you decide mate.

Great thread lads..I done an iosh accredited course for 8 months in university college dublin..after qualifiying i got a job as scaffolding supervisor for a big firm..although i was also an advanced scaff i was just 27..try givin safety advice to a more (older) experienced scaff doesnt wash very well..basically your just there to keep the main contractor happy..paperwork on time..harness inspection..toolbox talks..etc..the minute you turn your back theyl just do whatever theyve always been doin..in my experience you just have to let them do it their way to an extent..unless your prepared to have 20 arguements a day and get no metres in the book;)

Haha, Skrtel I think that about sums it up for all of us.

Ha its true aom...main contractors want arse covering..your boss wants production..a fine balance between the two usually works..plus you have to have the lads on side..been a scaff i know what were up against so respect and a little bit of common sense goes a long way..;)

Top Bottom