Neebosh

Once a scaff always a scaff no matter what other qualifications you earn.

Two heavy weights of the Forum in effect saying taking the NEBOSH examinations are a waste of time.:(

It may not have worked out for you guys but it does for many others,It is the first step down a Health & Safety career,that is all,you are a trainee in a new occupation,you need drive and determination, as in any job to pull away from the pack and tread your own path

It worked for me , I only work part-time now , I am officially a pensioner next year but will continue working until I am 70 God willing.This would be impossible if I were on the spanners or working for a company who seem to get shut of staff once they are turned 55.

March or Die eh Paddy M8---Alistair your right once a Scaff always a Scaff---I couldni listen to the utter balderdash and piffle that came out of the mouths of some of them self righteous inverted snobs that call themselves Safety Advisers or what ever fancy name they bestowed upon themselves---

When all is said and done NEBOSH is yet another Money Spinning Organization...

Aye fair enough Rigger and a good point that I have used a few times myself, whats good for one won't do for another. I would say though that even in my small area the safety game is flooded with people who have never done anything else and the extra effort to tread your own path on such a well trodden road means the returns are maybe not what they once were. I'm really glad it worked for you and again if it suits you to work into your retirement more power to your elbow but just to illustrate the differences with people I fully intend to jump ship at the first opportunity that presents itself and go and play golf.:cool:

Rigger

With respect I did not say NEBOSH was a waste of time---it works for some, however, it is not an automatic entry for a lot of Scaffolders.

The Industry is at near saturation point with NEBOSH Certified Scaffolders---it is a hard worked Qualification to gain and many are disappointed when they cannot get a position and or a chance to climb the ladder.

It did not work for me, however, I would not condemn anyone for Studying NEBOSH---Indeed, I have a full copy of the International NEBOSH for anyone who wished to go for it.

All the posts are top notch as usual,but the way I see it I won't no unless I try it,I'm not getting any younger and like rigger says most of us don't want to be doin this into there sixtys .

Know the feeling aom

"I fully intend to jump ship at the first opportunity that presents itself and go and play golf.:cool: "

Used to think that way myself when I was a bit younger,but as I grew older there was a big void looming up ahead.

You can only appreciate your leisure time when it is limited.

As for me I work 2/3 days a week,get to the gym 3/4 times a week, and have plenty of time for my leisure activities and hobbies.

My life is no longer controled by others,I take on the work I want, on my terms.I could have retired in my late 50s if I had wanted too.But I think I would have died from boredom before now.

Two heavy weights of the Forum in effect saying taking the NEBOSH examinations are a waste of time.:(

It may not have worked out for you guys but it does for many others,It is the first step down a Health & Safety career,that is all,you are a trainee in a new occupation,you need drive and determination, as in any job to pull away from the pack and tread your own path

It worked for me , I only work part-time now , I am officially a pensioner next year but will continue working until I am 70 God willing.This would be impossible if I were on the spanners or working for a company who seem to get shut of staff once they are turned 55.

You are right there Rigger, mate. It did not work out for me........

Why could this maybe be so?

Being a Trade union Shop Steward ?

Being a Trade Union Safety Rep ?

Being a Representative of Employee's Safety ?

Forming a Alliance with Mr Garry Adams and trying to introduce our (At the time) Views into a mainstream tightknit community of 'Training providers and overmen' gazing down on the scaffolders as a pay check or commodity for the bank balance, from their 'Ivory towers'.

Without expanding on open forum, I have been let down and my hardworking intellectual friend, who has a wealth of knowledge, have been ignored by the foundations and groups that people have fought for.

Join and Support the SCCR

Your right Damo, maybe try a wee bit market research in your area before you spend the cash though, find out if there is demand or even the slightest bit of interest before you spend your hard earned. There maybe other options.

Damo

Fair play to ya M8---The Study Group will give you every assistance available...

Where do you want to start Bro...

Know the feeling aom

"I fully intend to jump ship at the first opportunity that presents itself and go and play golf.:cool: "

Used to think that way myself when I was a bit younger,but as I grew older there was a big void looming up ahead.

You can only appreciate your leisure time when it is limited.

As for me I work 2/3 days a week,get to the gym 3/4 times a week, and have plenty of time for my leisure activities and hobbies.

My life is no longer controled by others,I take on the work I want, on my terms.I could have retired in my late 50s if I had wanted too.But I think I would have died from boredom before now.

Thanks for the advice Rigger and believe me I take it seriously. It's a topic which has been in my head for a while now probably because I spend a bit of my leisure time with quite a few retired men and have done for a few years now and I discovered that I have more in common with men 30-40 years older than me than I do with guy's 10 years younger than me. It's not that I'm ready to retire or anything but you have to have some sort of plan for the future. It isn't the first time I have heard such advise and I usually dismiss it coming from men who have worked hard all their life and never really had much else to concentrate on. I feel we are all guilty of judging ourselves by what we do in the work place instead of other facets of life. I have loads of thoughts on the subject but better not empty them on to the forum. Thanks again for a timely reminder though.

Garry, Paddy

I apologise if I have read too much into your post's, I have a great respect for both of you and agree with many of your post's.

I also agree on reflection, that many scaffolders think the National Certificate is the "yellow brick Road" to big bucks for walking around site.

When in fact you are at the lowest point on the ladder of a new career competing with guys in many cases from universities and higher Education establishments.

Fraternally Yours

Paddy M8---well said---however, we have educated yourself in the paths of HSEQF Considerations---we expanded our minds and explored and tabled new Technologies and Training Initiatives---we can sit with Blue or White collars, in the Bate Shed and in the Board Room---we can discuss and debate with the best of them Paddy---in the early days we Set up the Scaffolders Study Group and many other Horizon Scanning Initiatives---Scaffs rule...

Nebosh, advanced CISRS card, advanced inspection.. that would give you a big advantage over the uni boys would'nt it ?

Rigger

No apologies require Brother, I have the greatest respect for you, a Man of Morals---I can remember when I went to night school for the NEBOSH, I was the only Scaffolder in the class, and as you have eluded too most of the Candidates were post Graduates, that is why Paddy and I set up the Scaffolders Study Group to try and help our Brother Scaffolders.

Fraternal regards always

Garry...

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Cala

Aye, a distinct advantage over the Uni Boys, until one gets to the Corporate and Fellow Members of IOSH and the IIRSM thats where the Uni Boys can over rule the Associate Members ( NEBOSH Cert ).

As more Scaffolders take on the challenge of NEBOSH---they must aim higher to stand out from the crowd.

If I were younger, I would be giving an Engineering Qualification serious consideration---more and more Large Over Seas Organizations are looking for Scaffolding Engineers to oversee Projects---this for me is the way forward for those wishing to excel.

CALA

The scaffolding aspect of a Health & Safety advisor is only a very small part of a much larger and comprehensive job remit.

That is why my core business is scaffold inspection,stick with what I know best, being able to stand toe to toe with anyone that questions my decisions or actions.

Having said that I must be be able to back my judgements with legislation, guidelines, and best practice.This comes to the fore when conducting "accident investigations", "RIDDOR reporting" "toolbox-talks" and advising clients on general site safety

Following on from my previous post lads I have just had a week from hell having undertaken & passed the City & Guilds & 7303 PTLLS ( 9am to 1201am course in a 5 day block, the objectives of the qualificatation enables me to move into the training side of things and **** the health & Safety dream off, being a member of the fun Police wernt no fun......& my cup of tea, but was also a good insite the introduction to the pit ful of Vipers????????????????????once a Scaff always a Scaff................................................................................................................

By the way any SF members who has aspirations to complete the PTLLS course... do prior learning as I would say that the course was 3 times harder than a Nebosh level 3 course.

Good Luck

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

March or Die eh Paddy M8---Alistair your right once a Scaff always a Scaff---I couldni listen to the utter balderdash and piffle that came out of the mouths of some of them self righteous inverted snobs that call themselves Safety Advisers or what ever fancy name they bestowed upon themselves---

When all is said and done NEBOSH is yet another Money Spinning Organization...

But by flooding the market with ex Scaffs with Nebosh credentials & armed with ( Work @ Height Health & Safety knowledge) Garry could sway the balenc:eek:;)e & reclaim the common ground in this ongoing battle with the powers to be?????????????????????????????

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

It worked for me Rigger due to luck did Nebosh exams got connected with a major company nearly had 4 years service I hate it but have acheived NVQ level 4 which is the nearest that a ex scaff will get close to a Degree, point being is the Health & Safety Dream is flawed diverse & knowlegeable opinions aint welcome in a closed shop (old boys club) but don't let me put any budding SF members off taking that route because the whole experience will broaden your mind.........................:idea:

Last edited:
my nebosh exam on monday just wish me luck with questions lads
and so far every minute of it is worth it

Top Bottom