Neebosh

Probably better doing the Nebosh oil and gas one then mate..

research the providers and start revising now.get a book 4th edition construction health and safety be ed ferrett and phil hughes.a lot to take in and really a mere beginning into safety...

nebosh

It does not guarantee a job in safety ,I have the cert and did not get a job in safety ,looks good on a cv though.

To get the general certificate you'll need to do both mate. Unless you need this or somebody else is funding the course, don't bother. My company at the time paid for mine on 08. It's done nothing for me since then, bit of a waste of time & effort.

Last edited:
Damo

You need to do the "National Construction Certificate" It is made up of three modules,two of the modules have robust exams to sit (NEBOSH), the other module, you conduct an on-site inspection and write a report.Assesed by provider (Pheonix)

I did a concentrated 3 week course,12 days of study (8:30/5pm) The Wednesday of the third week was for revision,the Thursday was the Site visit and report and Friday we sat two exams one in the morning and the other in the afternoon.

I used Pheonix (link below) at Birmingham, as they had a guaranteed pass clause.The deal was that you could re-attend classes for any module that you failed, free of charge you only paid for the exam re-sit (NEBOSH)

Very Glad I did as I failed one exam by one point (not 1%), I kid you not
Two month later,I attended classes for a further 3days and sat the exam again on the forth day and passed with a 87% with credit.

It was a very intense time,as I was staying in digs after I returned from the training centre, bit of dinner then head in the books until midnight on most nights.You will need to commit It is hard work if your anything like me a working guy who left School at 15 years,the academic side is tough

NEBOSH Training Courses, Health And Safety Qualifications - Phoenix Health & Safety

Nice one fo all the advice lads,I just think if a few proper scaffolders get into the safety side of things we mite be able to bring a bit of common sense with us.

I agree.
The same needs to be done with 'Engineers'. If real proper Scaffolders got into that, we might get some decent Drawings made up, instead of the usual crap we're made to use.

Nice one fo all the advice lads,I just think if a few proper scaffolders get into the safety side of things we mite be able to bring a bit of common sense with us.

We are trying...LOL...

there's plenty of scaffs with nebosh, just remember demo its not the holy grail? in my opinion if you think your clever enough go for the design engineer route safety is fukcing ****, you try and tell 40 scoffs what they're doing wrong :sick::D
and engineers are at a premium

I would agree with that jakdan or training provider, seems to me that these are 2 trades unaffected too much by the recession.

Safety and Engineering goes hand in hand on bigger jobs.

Increased Health and Safety will require that both those 2 jobs are needed even more then they are now, as we wont be able to build a 13ft handrail soon, without a Drawing and then have someone watch us to make sure we do it 'safetly' soon.

Got to agree with some of the thred points loads of lads do the Nebosh in the quest for the holy grail, to better your self so to speak...............However the reality is a different kettle of fish, I was lucky in the respect that after having an accident scaffolding in 2005 the insurers paid for my Nebosh General & Construction certs & I was very lucky to get employment in a H&S trainee role some 4 years ago. But the transition from being a Scaff to the Fun Police is a fucki*g nightmare Health & Safety is a myth all companies promote the concept but on the quiet resent the concept for financial reasons. All of a sudden you are public enermy number 1 and all job satisfaction & comraderie gos out off the window. Wish I had put my effort into training to become a design engineer.

I am the poacher who turned gamekeeper

Good honest straight answer Poacher, I always suspected that to be the case.

I worked so hard for my post nomials, Patrick Carr Tech (IOSH)...........Done my First 3 year CPD, and now have let it all go.

paying the membership myself, and the arse pocket of the 'Trousers where the money was kept for H&S' has truly been sewed up.

You're better earning it than spending it Paddy.

In the early to mid 90's NEBOSH and an Associateship to the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health was ( and still is in some respect still is ) a very sought after Qualification and indeed became a necessary addendum to the Credentials required for Scaffold Inspection and Safety Audits ect...however, it has become over subscribed to the point that its value has been diluted somewhat---Many Scaffolders recognized that it was not outwith their comprehension or capabilities to study and gain the NEBOSH Qualifications.

I have been in positions where the NEBOSH Qualifications opened doors to the world of HSEQF, however, after a while I got quite disillusioned, the lack of Safety Budgets and lack luster lip service from Management---this led me to reflect and return to Field Operations...

In the early to mid 90's NEBOSH and an Associateship to the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health was ( and still is in some respect still is ) a very sought after Qualification and indeed became a necessary addendum to the Credentials required for Scaffold Inspection and Safety Audits ect...however, it has become over subscribed to the point that its value has been diluted somewhat---Many Scaffolders recognized that it was not outwith their comprehension or capabilities to study and gain the NEBOSH Qualifications.

I have been in positions where the NEBOSH Qualifications opened doors to the world of HSEQF, however, after a while I got quite disillusioned, the lack of Safety Budgets and lack luster lip service from Management---this led me to reflect and return to Field Operations...

'Ditto' mucker. 'Till we march again' Garry.

Top Bottom