National Access and Scaffolding Confederation

Yes very important!!!

Do not want to talk to me.

I am only a lowly scaffolder no one important :(.

Stewart SCCR Chairman.

I hope to write a book one day.

If I ever get the time :eek::eek:

thats coz your a threat ragscaff they dont like competition exspecially free compertition!!! all there competition carrys a hourly rate:laugh:

Nigel,

the NASC is the scaffolding equivalent of the Masons or any form of "Old Boys Club" they make the rules and expect the rest of the industry to follow.
A large number of NASC members fail to comply with their rules but will market themselves as the leaders in our industry (I know this from personal experience of working for these companies)

If a company wishes to join the NASC they will be audited by a competitor, who amongst other things will go through their paperwork including quotations that the rival company probably has interest in.

If you have issues with your competitor you simply won't get in, but if he's your mate you probably will.

A large number of scaffolding contractors including multi nationals do not see any benefit from joining the NASC as they already have a solid client base who understand that the NASC is merely a private organisation trying to feather the nests of it's members and have no interest in educating non members or the scaffolder on the tools.

The NASC have pushed themselves on local authorities and many large construction companies and some not all have fallen for their aggressive sales pitch.

We also have the SCCR which aims to help the industry as a whole, not just the large companies but everyone including the smaller companies that make up a large percentage of the scaffolding contractors in the UK and the scaffolder actually doing the job.

We are constantly working with the H.S.E. looking at ways to make a more sensible and safer working environment.

Education and advice is the answer for everyone, not just the select few who want to be, but fail miserably as the supposed elite.

Nigel follow the link below.

Last edited:
Last i heard it was Gerry Cooper

Did you not read Simians post?

Well, according to the NASC Yearbook, which I downloaded yesterday, Gerry Cooper is the newly-installed President. And there is no evidence that he was elected, so this is in no way a democratically accountable body. A bit like the CBI, with an appointed Chief. Does the President get paid a lot? (or anything?)

Nigel,

the NASC is the scaffolding equivalent of the Masons or any form of "Old Boys Club" they make the rules and expect the rest of the industry to follow.
A large number of NASC members fail to comply with their rules but will market themselves as the leaders in our industry (I know this from personal experience of working for these companies)

If a company wishes to join the NASC they will be audited by a competitor, who amongst other things will go through their paperwork including quotations that the rival company probably has interest in.

If you have issues with your competitor you simply won't get in, but if he's your mate you probably will.

A large number of scaffolding contractors including multi nationals do not see any benefit from joining the NASC as they already have a solid client base who understand that the NASC is merely a private organisation trying to feather the nests of it's members and have no interest in educating non members or the scaffolder on the tools.

The NASC have pushed themselves on local authorities and many large construction companies and some not all have fallen for their aggressive sales pitch.

We also have the SCCR which aims to help the industry as a whole, not just the large companies but everyone including the smaller companies that make up a large percentage of the scaffolding contractors in the UK and the scaffolder actually doing the job.

We are constantly working with the H.S.E. looking at ways to make a more sensible and safer working environment.

Education and advice is the answer for everyone, not just the select few who want to be, but fail miserably as the supposed elite.

Nigel follow the link below.
Thanks for the link, Swifty. Interesting. Am I right in thinking that the SCCR was formed to try to loosen the stranglehold of the NASC? Is it a bit like a union? (even though it's not called a union)

And when was it formed? thanks again.

Well said Lads...Swifty,you forgot personal driver, pension and medical plan.

Nigel,

the SCCR is not a union and it will never be, even though we have been approached by unions wanting to affiliate with us.
We are there purely to improve the industry in which we work.
The NASC has affected the way in which most scaffolders have to carry out their day to day business.
This has all been organised by people who either never have been on the tools or have forgotten how demanding the job can be.
The SCCR wants a voice in anything that effects how we do our job so when the next daft and dangerous idea comes up it can be nipped in the bud immediately.

Nigel,

the SCCR is not a union and it will never be, even though we have been approached by unions wanting to affiliate with us.
We are there purely to improve the industry in which we work.
The NASC has affected the way in which most scaffolders have to carry out their day to day business.
This has all been organised by people who either never have been on the tools or have forgotten how demanding the job can be.
The SCCR wants a voice in anything that effects how we do our job so when the next daft and dangerous idea comes up it can be nipped in the bud immediately.
so it's more like an advocacy group, or pressure group, as opposed to being a union?

Thanks. That's all very helpful. Is the SCCR very new?

Sorry I forgot to add,the SCCR was formed 12th July 2010.

It's only £10 a year for individual membership.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Ragscaff is the chairman and the man behind the evolution of the SCCR, you really should consider sitting down and having a chat with him before you write your book.

To be fair, i aint got a clue what it actually does...
Though, you might get more work if your in this exclusive 'club'.

Reminds me of the Free Masons, but a Scaffolding version, lol.

For a balanced view I would say it was very worth while joining. I did it as I had no other way to get relevant information on all the rule and reg changes. Most seem to think the NASC keep changing the goal posts but I feel they have to react to ever changing legislation and pressure from HSE to conform to the work at height regs. I also quite enjoy the audit process simply because it's good to get another set of eyes on your operation just to make sure nothing has slipped through the net with regards paper work, quoting the right regs on risk assessments and the like. Can't remember the figures exactly but TG 20 cost a fortune to develop and all the other guidance notes also have to be paid for. As for more work, well in my experience cash is king and the lowest bid will win the work.

well any firm that dosent reconise scaffolders that have been in the game with a valid ecitb ticket for over 25 years gets the thumbs down exspecially when my employees over the last 20 years have been nasc members and any new regs are either shown or trained to that level so how can i support a membership that is so unfair in what it preaches but some may benefit so thats there choice but for me iam out like ive said before how can this body get away with it with out inside help from certain people!!! yes i have chosen my words carefully and mentioned no names as this sinks ships!!

NASC is nothing remotely like the Free Masons...

One of the three founding members of the then denominated the National Association of Scaffolding Contractors, namely, Master Mariner Henry J Palmer was indeed a Man of sound judgement, strict morals and of mature age, However, I can see no resemblance to the modern day National Access and Scaffolding Confederation to that of the latter, indeed, Brotherly Love, Truth and Relief appear to be non existent...

Andy, quite, just had to leap to the defense...

are you back to work Andy ???

I could meet up soon ???

Gar...

Yes mate back offshore in Abu Dhabi not due back onshore untill the 20th oct mate when you coming over ????

Top Bottom