max inside brds.

• Thread starter southernpoofter
  • Start date
S

southernpoofter

heres a quick question to the forum asked to me by a mate today that had been picked up by his main contractors safty inspector,

now i know its all changed due to tg:20,& desighn issues etc, but i was always taught that 2 inside brd on a normal house is ok, but you can push it to the max of 3 for light loading/access - i think th mindset started due to the measurment being 675mm and the max unsurported load of the end of a tube should not exceed 750mm ( whether this has been confused with the overhang for a gini wheel i dont know) and its often done on a new build for a single gable where there is a big soffit/facia overhang and a stack so as to not require returning around the stack.
their SSO wants a bridle and spurs even though its now the top lift and 600mm of the inside brds will now be taken with the overhang
so in the forums opinion is it still ok to erect with a max of 3 inside brds or not.

heres a quick question to the forum asked to me by a mate today that had been picked up by his main contractors safty inspector,

now i know its all changed due to tg:20,& desighn issues etc, but i was always taught that 2 inside brd on a normal house is ok, but you can push it to the max of 3 for light loading/access - i think th mindset started due to the measurment being 675mm and the max unsurported load of the end of a tube should not exceed 750mm ( whether this has been confused with the overhang for a gini wheel i dont know) and its often done on a new build for a single gable where there is a big soffit/facia overhang and a stack so as to not require returning around the stack.
their SSO wants a bridle and spurs even though its now the top lift and 600mm of the inside brds will now be taken with the overhang
so in the forums opinion is it still ok to erect with a max of 3 inside brds or not.

Yes, SWL of 0.75kN/M2 on the inside boards regardless of the SWL on the main fleet.

in opinion.... lol whos a slasher and who isnt lol i would say 3 boards is ok as long as its not loaded with blocks and used to hold the likes of a man and and he deck of morta for laying with out dropping 3 is tops mind in my opinion wih out needing picked up

I will probably be proved wrong as ever SP, but we always go no mote than 2 inside boards as I have always been under the impression that was the max unsupported. I can't quote page numbers or guidance notes but remember a time when I used to pick 2 inside boards up.

i have often gone 3 inside boards for painters and the like un -supported , but for anything like roofers i have always spurred up 3 boards. I aint sure on the legality of it though

I've always worked on the basis that any more than two inside boards and they need to be rakered up (underslinger and a brace)

If there is three inside boards then you must put additional transoms in i think its an extra 2. I will check tomorrow and it is only for men and hand tools.Also if sleeves further than 300mm away from standards they must be spliced.

I seem to remember a calc for this,in another thread. I would think Phils got it right tho.

It's come up a few times Frederik, just how many times have they got to punch the information in before I remember it.:embarrest:

Ill back track a bit,cos its got me scratchin ma heed, this one. It may have been Brandy that wrote on the subject. I posted pics a while back of 3 inside bds on extenda's, This was definately a no no. according to a few. Theres no way you could spur those ones up.

I would be interested in hearing Daz back his suggestion up as that's the first time I have heard that one. Not disbelieving you Daz just sticks out a bit as a suggestion.

surprises me alister ,i thought youd have the answer line for line out of the tg /sg booklets lolo
but what surprises me more is the amount of guys that dont revert to 3 inside brds in the same situation, its not for loading @2Kn but only lightweight of a max of .75Kn, still no deffinate anwers maybe some of the designers may know so may have to repost on there forum :)

Sorry SP, I could go over the book but to be honest ma heid is nipping with tables and calculations. I honestly don't use 3 inside boards and haven't for years and even a stack would be picked up some other way. All our jobs are handed over as .75 inside regardless of size or design, just covers us. Let us know what the designers say.

One of the contractors we worked for asked if we had the calcs for 3 inside boards and had to get my design engineer to come up with calcs AOM.
I remember having to add additional trannies and splicing sleeves ill rake them out in office tomorrow and post them.

Yes, SWL of 0.75kN/M2 on the inside boards regardless of the SWL on the main fleet.

Phils pn the money here.
HOWEVER...................
3 inside boards falls outside the tables in TG20 and as such makes it a design job.
The limitations on any number of inside board is down to what you can prove in calculation. The considerations would be the transom crs. and what is nearly always missed is the cantilever condition on the ledger span. There may also be a time you run into problems with the outside leg joints in uplift.
regards
Alan

Did you have to say "Phils on the money" he will be a bl00dy nuisance all day now!!

I dont know the SWL and all that techical stuff... but 2 Boards is fine unsupported and 3 Boards require Spurs/ Pullbacks - along with an underslung Ledger.

Imho.

Did you have to say "Phils on the money" he will be a bl00dy nuisance all day now!!

Sorry Steve but on the up side it wont be me hes a nuisance too.
Hope you are well (spose you heard young Peter had it off on the lottery for a million quid) He's on the top of my christmas card list again LOL
regards
Alan

---------- Post added at 07:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 AM ----------

I dont know the SWL and all that techical stuff... but 2 Boards is fine unsupported and 3 Boards require Spurs/ Pullbacks - along with an underslung Ledger.

Imho.

Your correct Jay, that would be the normal way to do this but sometimes the contractor wants clear access for window frames etc.

Hi Alan

yes heard about young Peter, most strange thing is he's back at work or so the last bit of gossip goes. I would save the money on that xmas card if i was you, so things do not change!

Top Bottom