Looking after our/thier best interests..lol!!!

grumpy

Reaction score
Gents.

What does the Scaffolding Association do that NASC dont, or the other way round??
comments..

All these so-called Associations are a waste of time.
As shown recently, Scaffolders dont give 2 monkies about each other.

While the causes behind them seem fair enough, they don't get the backing.
They are only as strong as the support they receive and they don't receive 5% of the support they really need.

How i see things:
The NASC is the governing body, primarily look to the interests of the employer...
The Scaffolding Association and the SCCR, primarily attempt to help out the Scaffolder.

But where the NASC has plenty of backing, the SA and SCCR dont.

Apologies in advance for my post.
Dont wanna come across as a 'know it all' for answering an honest question with an honest answer. :confused:

We jump through all these hoops that the nasc tell us to, but i dont understand what we get back from them. Yeah i understand we can tender for higher profile jobs, but i know firms that are better equiped and manned for such jobs but cos there not part of the NASC they dont get a look in...
So i ask the question again....Whats the scaffs benefit out of it ???.

We have little choice but to jump through the hoops.
The Firms work under the NASC Guidelines - unless we work to the same Guidelines = we're out of a job.

All that it is, is backing.
The SCCR get the same backing - they would have the same power a the NASC, but they dont.

We dont benefit. NASC members benefit.
The Clients like Skanska, Bovis, Mace, Mansells, Galliford Try, ect all want NASC (or prefer NASC) to work for them, because the NASC is seen as the defacto governing body of Scaffolding.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, the new association is meant to be an alternative. What I can't seem to find on their web site is what they intend to do about TG:20 and the like, it appears they don't have one or if they do I can't seem to find it.

Scaffs association are coming.Supported by the sccr this could be a marriage made in heaven lol. Seriously tho, everything needs an opposition. Keeps all on their toe's.

problem is how many firms out there follow any of the guidelines set by any of these associations? until you got every firm behind any of them and adhering to the rules and regs,which will never happen,they're only covering a small percentage of the industry.

Scaffs association are coming.Supported by the sccr this could be a marriage made in heaven lol. Seriously tho, everything needs an opposition. Keeps all on their toe's.

Didn't realise there was a tie in Fred, good luck to all I know you will be busy then. I will await with interest to see what guidance is produced and see how it compares.

You cant get behind the nasc as theyre selective in their membership numbers. Theres been loads tried to join. So imo nasc dont represent the scaffold industry in general.

I'm staying out of that one Fred.;)

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

problem is how many firms out there follow any of the guidelines set by any of these associations? until you got every firm behind any of them and adhering to the rules and regs,which will never happen,they're only covering a small percentage of the industry.

Who is to blame for that though, firms or associations?

Didn't realise there was a tie in Fred, good luck to all I know you will be busy then. I will await with interest to see what guidance is produced and see how it compares.

No tie in Alistair. Just a suggestion. sccr was for consultation. S.A may be more in line with nasc template;)

Oh, sorry. Very hard to tell at the moment, no information on their web site other than regulations you can find anywhere.

Its all a question of numbers aint it. I do know,they already have a lot of companies signed up,and growing.

You cant get behind the nasc as theyre selective in their membership numbers. Theres been loads tried to join. So imo nasc dont represent the scaffold industry in general.

Governing bodies rarely truely represent the man on the ground.
Look at the FA (Football Association), who is on the board who is a former pro Footballer?? Probably about 5%.
Its all Lord this, Mr that, Sir this, Dr that, if you get what i mean.

NASC is the same.
How many on the board are REAL ex-Scaffolders?
Id guess, not many. Some might have done 'a bit', then rose up the ranks very quickly, but most, id guess no.
The upper management who make up the NASC board (from what can tell) are brought into these companies for their Management and Commercial expertise and not because they spent 35 years slapping squarage up.

Take Gary Peacock. Not sure if he's still on TONE or not.
He's not a Scaffolder... his background was like Mechanical Engineering or something like that. But he was like the Operations Director on TONE and former MD of PHD Modular Access - brought in fir his MANAGEMENT experience, not his Scaffolding experience.
He's just one example.

The NASC have the backing of several big Firms, who in turn are very friendly with several big Clients = They will NEVER be 'matched'.
They make the rules, they enforce the rules.

Imho anyway.

I can't speak about the FA or large scaffold companies Jason, but I do know some big hitters with the nasc did put up plenty meterage in their day.

It's not always about putting the steel away anyway, you need a bit of a mixture to be successful at anything, I find anyway.

Its all a question of numbers aint it. I do know,they already have a lot of companies signed up,and growing.

Numbers will help, but there is a lot more to it than that surely? Speaking for myself for example, what are they offering that I am not getting? Is their guidance sound and accepted when I go on site? Would I get value for money? As always, just a small operators opinion, and it's just off the top of my head for discussion.

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

Spot on again aom. You can bang up loads but if the price or tender doesn't cover costs your up the creek.

It's just something that is probably quite relevant to what's happening here at the moment. I could probably use a great manager more than a good scaffolder here right now.

Top Bottom