light line

hahahaha and make sure the sacks wet first brandy seen some nasty rope burns LOL
Yeh, Phil, nothing like a rope burn to get the new guy to do it right next time.(no pain,no gain) Can't beat the old hemp rope, though not so easy to come across a hemp sack nowa'days.

[/COLOR]i buy the stuff by the 720 foot coil Vancover , just out of interest what do you lads use for getting tins up and down ?[/QUOTE]

There's an old thread on here 'roping tin sheets' with some top tips on, well, roping tin sheets. does exactly what it says on the tin. Worth checking out mate.

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

Yeh, Phil, nothing like a rope burn to get the new guy to do it right next time.(no pain,no gain) Can't beat the old hemp rope, though not so easy to come across a hemp sack nowa'days.

I always stick a tube off a standard about 3ft high, give the rope a turn on the tube, then send the gear down. you can lower down at full pelt, then as you near the deck just cross the rope accross itself to act as a brake. Works a treat and saves on gloves/hemp sacks.

[/COLOR]i buy the stuff by the 720 foot coil Vancover , just out of interest what do you lads use for getting tins up and down ?

There's an old thread on here 'roping tin sheets' with some top tips on, well, roping tin sheets. does exactly what it says on the tin. Worth checking out mate.

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

I always stick a tube off a standard about 3ft high, give the rope a turn on the tube, then send the gear down. you can lower down at full pelt, then as you near the deck just cross the rope accross itself to act as a brake. Works a treat and saves on gloves/hemp sacks.[/QUOTE]
Used that trick too Collo, as you say it's fast, but a bit too near the gear coming down, no time to run if the knot slips. Always liked to keep a distance and step in just before it landed. Them days we were'nt over keen on the hard hats and the gloves were scarce too.

I am of the same opinion mate, I don't want to be directly underneath that gear coming down. Put the tube out 2 standards away from the rope and wheel and then stand behind it this should give you enough distance. Oh and have someone you trust tying on, not some muppet!!

used a light line today to get fittings down as hse was about and no wheel on the job

know what you mean about younguns tho, didnt even know how to tie a bucket off

use a carabina clip for buckets sometimes the knot can get so tight they struggle to undo it

fastest way to strike a high job you can use both ends at once funny watching the labour trying to untie tube as your letting the next lot down :laugh:

i was just curios as you dont see many lads using a light line anymore , in my younger days i could let down 2 x 21 foot tubes at once, have even let 3 x 12 foot unit beams still bolted together at once, man that tempory roof came down fast :toung:

bloody hell philliosmaximus, you must of had the strengh of rambo. lol

i just slide it thro me hands

i have got hands like gators skin tho

(many years stood at the bottom of a tower block pulling on a rope see to that)

Yeah I use light lines, can't stand rope and wheel, I find and have done that if you loop the rope over the handrail you can use it as a brake when lumping heavy stuff down by pulling the rope to right of the loop, ideal when getting 21ft ladder beams down 6 lifts. as a general rule of thumb we lightline fittings down from height, but usually chain the kit down through the ladder stagings on higher jobs, I recently stripped 12 lifts 36ft by 16ft three handed, we chained or caught the transoms, bracing tubes between the ladder stages, and tied off the 21's with doubles on the handrail on the ladder stagings due to use not being able to get them to the ground in one go, we had it down in 6 hrs job and knock mate, i have no problems with catching tube as long as I trust the guys im working with.

Yeah I use light lines, can't stand rope and wheel, I find and have done that if you loop the rope over the handrail you can use it as a brake when lumping heavy stuff down by pulling the rope to right of the loop, ideal when getting 21ft ladder beams down 6 lifts. as a general rule of thumb we lightline fittings down from height, but usually chain the kit down through the ladder stagings on higher jobs, I recently stripped 12 lifts 36ft by 16ft three handed, we chained or caught the transoms, bracing tubes between the ladder stages, and tied off the 21's with doubles on the handrail on the ladder stagings due to use not being able to get them to the ground in one go, we had it down in 6 hrs job and knock mate, i have no problems with catching tube as long as I trust the guys im working with.

This is turning into a proper scaffs chat!

You're supposed to talk the job UP mate, not down! :laugh:

lads always used to moan they couldnt earn on a big strike on price i always earned good money striking with my trusty light line dont matter how high it is, straight to the ground no messing about :nuts:

Top Bottom