Jordon clamps

Best bit of kit for the scaffs simple easy to use and it works -no bias there then!

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Wrappa sling cheap and nasty and made to be a personal issue to the scaffs which keeps the cost down nothing more and nothing less - personal issue PPE is better as a scaff would always have an anchor point if the need arises, rather than hunting around for a clamp

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Weld did not snap it was the gate that sheared at the rivet due to overtightning by the scaffolder due to not being informed correctly on how to fix to standard - Ah, that explains it then. Is it a 6 week residential course to teach a scaffolder how to fix a coupler to a standard?

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

Sling and barracuda introduced by NASC with recommendations made to suit the products and not the safety of the scaffolders and to keep costs low for the companies - Why would anyone not embrace a decent product that also kept costs to a minimum? (unless you're selling an expensive alternative, obviously...)

I've used wrappa sling for a coupla yrs now n if there's a better alternative out there I've yet to find it.
No xtra weight to carry just wraps round Ya belt/harness
This new start I've got don't advocate em but don't ave an alternative either.

You are not a fan of the clamp it would seem ! Perhaps you are a member of the NASC fraternity ?? By the way what constitutes a VIP member ?????????????????????????

I think you're fighting a losing battle with our Pip Jordan.

My opinion (for what it's worth) is that the choice between the Wrappa and Jordan is purely personal as both can save injury or death and it doesn't make a huge difference to the end user which one they use.

Yes Pip manages a branch of a big player in the NASC but I believe he puts across his own opinions and not those of his employers.

To become a VIP member you have to have posted a certain amount of times.

I have used the Jordan Clamp on several occasions and would quite happily include it in our RAMS if the need arises.

Never intended to start a battle Swifty as the saying go's everybody is entitiled to their own opinion however it has come as complete shock (not) to discover that Pip is indeed a member of NASC. Going forward if any body has a desire to know the real facts about the NASC and its shameful handling of the clamp feel free to call me on 07901118754.

Best regards

Jordan

The main disadvantage I have seen with the wrappa is that being classed as personal issue it is chargeable.
Which means some scaffs will not report it lost and attempt to get by until they can nick one off someone else, I have seen this happen.
Jordan clamps get sent from the yard with the rest of the gear not the stores.

You are quite right Bri it is fastened like a double however as it is an anchor point the scaffolders were tending to give it an extra turn with the spanner for good measure which if is done on a regular basis will cause stress to the gate section. Which is why it is important not to over tighten fittings. In my experience I have come across ordinary fittings which have failed in the same manner through over zealous fixing. Another thing that people should bear in mind is that there is a lot of big burly scaffolders in the industry that can apply a lot of pressure to fittings ? With this point in mind it would perhaps be a good thing to introduce a torque spanner (hot topic) to ensure all fittings including the clamp were attached to the standards at the correct setting. Lets be honest some scaffolders are stronger than others and fittings are attached at different torques.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

Once again in my personal opinion I feel the main disadvatage of the wrappa is the fact that scaffolders being scaffolders will connect it to things they should not ie things that will not support their weight if they fall examples : cable trays, small bore pipe lines etc the list is not exhaustive and equally if they are being used on a refinery or a power station think of the potential for contamination or damage examples : oil,grease,hot surfaces once again the list is not exhaustive. Please bear in mind the wrappa was introduced for one reason only as an alternative to the clamp as was the barracuda and the amazingly expensive clamp proposed by a NASC safety committee member ?

Guess you won't be happy with the advent of impact wrenches then?

You are quite right Bri it is fastened like a double however as it is an anchor point the scaffolders were tending to give it an extra turn with the spanner for good measure which if is done on a regular basis will cause stress to the gate section. Which is why it is important not to over tighten fittings. In my experience I have come across ordinary fittings which have failed in the same manner through over zealous fixing. Another thing that people should bear in mind is that there is a lot of big burly scaffolders in the industry that can apply a lot of pressure to fittings ? With this point in mind it would perhaps be a good thing to introduce a torque spanner (hot topic) to ensure all fittings including the clamp were attached to the standards at the correct setting. Lets be honest some scaffolders are stronger than others and fittings are attached at different torques.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

Once again in my personal opinion I feel the main disadvatage of the wrappa is the fact that scaffolders being scaffolders will connect it to things they should not ie things that will not support their weight if they fall examples : cable trays, small bore pipe lines etc the list is not exhaustive and equally if they are being used on a refinery or a power station think of the potential for contamination or damage examples : oil,grease,hot surfaces once again the list is not exhaustive. Please bear in mind the wrappa was introduced for one reason only as an alternative to the clamp as was the barracuda and the amazingly expensive clamp proposed by a NASC safety committee member ?
Wunt same apply to all Ya gear? ie harness lanyard gettin contaminated.
Only reason I prefer wrappa is convenience,it's a lot easier to climb a dozen cat ladders wi it on Ya belt tha n cartin clamp wi Ya!
But it really is a matter of personal preference on this one,don't think there's a definitive right or wrong here

Why not it would ensure that all fittings and clamps are applied at the correct torque !

They reckon the impact wrench does nothing but over torque the fitings.

They are wrong of course but what would I know?

Maybe not Mick but the pen may well be mightier than the spanner but the IW is mightier than the swing over.:cool:

Maybe not Mick but the pen may well be mightier than the spanner but the IW is mightier than the swing over.:cool:
Ya might be right aom but I'm a bit of a traditionalist,only been using a ratchet for last few years cos Me old man reckoned they wa new fangled rubbish!!
Wunt mind a go wi IW tho,heard of em but not seen one in use yet.

I might have to invest in a few shares as you would think I was selling them Mick but honest, one go is all it takes to fall in love, they are magic.:love:

I might have to invest in a few shares as you would think I was selling them Mick but honest, one go is all it takes to fall in love, they are magic.:love:

thats what our lass says about me marra few other have an all lol :toung:

Maybe caw canny for the moment, depends on your views but they reckon they over torque them but you soon learn how long to push the button. Rumours abound about 2nd generation with cut off, not sure if true or how far away.

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Think I'll look into it Ya've definitely piqued my curiosity aom

Maybe contract hire from Hilti to get a wee feel for them.;)

jordan clamps do not over collective protection, just remember the harness is the last line of measure now. I do believe in a perfect word the collective protection is o.k but we do not live in a perfect word and scaffolding should be kept practical so although the collective protection can be practically used in places.i think it should be relaxed in some cases

Top Bottom