Instructors again

Did mine with AID training they are based in Warminster but run the courses all over the country did mine in Blackpool but no bright lights was slaving till midnight for 4 nights getting the 7 assignments rattled off never mind the 30 minute micro teach!!! AOM if you are seriously thinking of doing the course I have all the completed course work electronically to give you the heads up????

Thanks PTG, I would love a look at it. There is just no way I could think about it right now as I'm up to midnight as it is keeping the firm up and running but I think that may form part of any exit strategy.

If you have anything you think may be of use feel free to forward to aomscaffolding@btconnect.com but be prepared for the barrage of questions.:embarrest:

fook this job you be another cog in the machine train them up kick them out train them up kick them out.

Alistar if you were to come into the teaching side of the industry having met you personally then I would only think that it would be a great bonus to the industry. I think theres a few on the forum who will give you the push in the right direction. Good luck with it. you've got my number for any advice pal.

As our work is growing again in the middle east and Africa. We are looking for more instructors to assist us.

A lot of the work will be ad hoc at the beginning but it is becoming more frequent every week.

Criteria is:

Advanced scaffolder
A training qualification
A1 assessor

We provide all flights, accomodation and transport. Food is supplied in some areas but if not we provide a food allowance.

Rates will be discussed with candidates who we interview as we expect certain applicants to be more qualified than others. We normally expect you to do around 20 days at a time.

CV's to info@simian-risk.com

Do you arrange all work permits etc? In UAE it is illegal to work without the necessary paperwork in place.
Several expats have been jailed there for working before their paperwork was in place.

Did mine with AID training they are based in Warminster but run the courses all over the country did mine in Blackpool but no bright lights was slaving till midnight for 4 nights getting the 7 assignments rattled off never mind the 30 minute micro teach!!! AOM if you are seriously thinking of doing the course I have all the completed course work electronically to give you the heads up????

PTG,

Crackin e-mail, thanks for that. Certainly food for thought as it was not what I imagined. Starting to understand a wee bit why things are the way in are in the training game.

Steve,

I have your number and will bend your ear as well.

AOM PTLLS is all about equality, Diversity and numerous other subjects that you don't automatically associate as part of the bigger picture and training requirements to be able to teach and become a Scaffolding Instructor.

Regards PTG

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

AOM the PTLLS Qualification would also gave you the competence to conduct your own internal training courses ie W@H awareness and harness training etc?? I would get your skates on and complete before they make it harder and you need more teaching hours.

only my opinion but it would benefit you and your company.

I got a bit of that through your 2nd attachment, I started to write you another e-mail regarding the individual learning plans as I had a couple of questions in relation to my own work but the Hilti rep came in and never left till eventually I had to go but as long as you don't mind I will be in touch soon.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

AOM the PTLLS Qualification would also gave you the competence to conduct your own internal training courses ie W@H awareness and harness training etc?? I would get your skates on and complete before they make it harder and you need more teaching hours.

only my opinion but it would benefit you and your company.

Funny, that thought crossed my mind only this morning driving down the road. I intend to but just trying to find out if I can do it without going to the City.

OK boy's I must admit to feeling like a part 1 with the questions I have but is the link below what I'm looking for and what is the difference between all these levels. I don't want to book the wrong one but I see they have one running when I'm on holiday and as the Mrs is working this year thought it might be a good opportunity to get it done.

PTLLS Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector - Cardonald College

Hi aom,

Simian would probably be better suited to reply to this but I just had a look at the course and I think it's just a preparing to teach course, i.e. at the end you still wouldn't be qualified to teach. (I don't think).

I don't know if you need it to go on to CTLLS (Certificate in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector). (hmm maybe you do). It's billed as a pre-requiste, but that doesn't always mean you have to do it to do the next one. Some people do it to see if they like teaching.

Also, don't forget to look into getting funding - the country still needs teachers!

Looking at the requirements, this is what is fundamentally wrong with the education sector in our country. I realise teachers, whether for kids or adults, should deliver quality teaching, but there should be a distinction for those that just want to teach part time, in their vocational field. If the hurdles are too high, ain't no one gonna wanna jump.

aom, there could be a college locally to you, maybe even 6th form+ that would like your expertise for the occassional lecture - industry specific. Again, Simian may be able to give you a few pointers. I know universities get industry experts in to deliver to students, maybe only once a week or so.

Don't get deterred if this is something you want to do!

Good advice BT thanks. I was approached by my local college at a time to do a bit with the apprentice's. Not entirely sure what exactly but I was a wee bit blinded by running my own wee show and had very little time for anything else, you are right though it is something I will look into although I may have told them what I thought about them once or twice in the past so might have to rebuild some bridges.:embarrest:

I was under the impression that the CTLLS is a step above what I would need to achieve as I am already qualified in the sector I would like to teach in as an advanced scaffolder. I hope you are wrong BT, but I kinda doubt it but will wait for further confirmation as to what this course actually allows me to do.

Funding is a great idea as well but I had a quick look on the ILA web site and I'm afraid I don't think I would qualify for any help which is fair enough, I never expected any hand out's.

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Just had a look at your link BT, 9 months.:eek:

That can't be right, most of the boy's I have spoken to have done it in 35 hours or so.

Maybe they know I'm a bit slow.:embarrest:

Please don't take my word for any of it - I did my quals nearly 10 years ago and City and Guilds, for whatever reason, keep changing things :(.

I'd say, from the description on the website we both linked to, it's unclear about whether PTTLS would be enough or not. I hope it is, but it may just allow you to be a teaching assistant... It just talks about "understanding" the role of teaching, rather than demonstrating your ability.

Keep us posted!

Will do, hopefully someone will confirm before this mob call me as I have already inquired about it.

Simian are probally the best ones to answer your question alistair,but i think their all in Iraq at the mo:cool:

You going over there Ali?

Seriously considering it Jason. As I have said a few times, I reckon I would be good at it. I'm not blowing my own trumpet as I know there is more to it than meets the eye but I think I could look an employer in the eye and tell him I got his young gun the best.

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

Simian are probally the best ones to answer your question alistair,but i think their all in Iraq at the mo:cool:

Iraq!!!, Does he know there is a war on?:eek: I fancy being an instructor but not that badly.:worried:

Seriously? Ah brilliant.
I hope it goes well for ya. :)

I think you'll do well too... your grounded, honest, easy to communicate with and experienced.

Beats the cold Scottish nights anyway. ;)

Cheers Jason, let's hope I have not talked or typed my way out of any opportunities.

Top Bottom