How would you....

I'm no expert, but looks overly complicated with a higher than average chance of failure. Why not sling it with hi-abb or crane, got to be as cheap and quicker than all that jazz?

I'm no expert, but looks overly complicated with a higher than average chance of failure. Why not sling it with hi-abb or crane, got to be as cheap and quicker than all that jazz?

You're right, but sorry, forgot to mention I asked all around the district. Two owner-drivers with HIAB trucks each agreed a date/time/price, then each let me down when I phoned the day before to check times.

I was willing to pay the right rate, without haggling.

That's when I decided to try to put a sufficient structure together, and ask in here.

3 ton is not a lot of weight but i think you need the chain blocks directly above the boat therefore needing a lifting spreader beam to hang slings off, have you tried your local speedy hire shop they got allsorts of stuff for lifting awkward or big objects in tight or awkward situations

Will speak to SGB design man monday try to find out the weight strength etc of steel ladder beam or unit beams. I have your number will ring when i have more info. Cheers Guy

Found this and thought it may help in your quest,

Allowable Bending Moments & Safe Working Loads etc

B.M. 305mm Deep Ladder Beams: 12.5 KN/m

Max End Reaction For 305mm Deep Ladder Beams: 12.5 KN

B.M. 610mm Deep Unit Beams (including self weight) 26 KN/m
B.M. 610mm Deep Unit Beams (excluding self weight) 27.1 KN/m

Max End Reaction For 610mm Deep Unit Beams: 15.6 KN

B.M. 450mm Deep Aluminium Beams: 15.7 KN/m

Max End Reaction For 450mm Deep Aluminium Beams: 12.7 KN

Safe Working Load of Fitting (against slip) Class A: 6.3 KN
Safe Working Load of Fitting (against slip) Class B: 9.4 KN

Damo,are you sure about the fitting load. thought class b was 6.3kn max???

Frederik , had to check myself but it seems we may be both wrong , as TG20:08 Vol. 2 Table 24 Page 145 - The safe slip load of a Swivel Coupler (Class A) is 6.1 kN not 3.6 kN, and the safe slip load of a Swivel (Class B) is 9.1 kN not 5.5 kN. this goes for all class b fittings bar Sleeves. Sorry for the wrong info i i know the table was old but thought it still applied. Sorry gents

I need to lift the 3T weight of the boat a few inches so as to remove the trailer, then lower the boat down 2 feet into a rigid boat cradle, where it will sit until I've ready to launch it.

Hello mate.

You could employ a local Scaffold contractor to build a small, but strong lifting frame or atleast give you a quote on it.

Ring a local Crane Company,they are the lifting experts :bigsmile:

I think this would be the best answer, tbh.

Hello mate. You could employ a local Scaffold contractor to build a small, but strong lifting frame or atleast give you a quote on it. I think this would be the best answer, tbh.

Thanks to all who are taking an interest.

A suitable crane/HIAB tractor unit/Telehandler would have been the easiest option, and I tried that, but got let down a couple of times after agreeing arrangements. There comes a point where you say "Sod them!" and move on...

As for a local scaffolding contractor, that's the way I went this weekend, after asking around and finding - completely reasonably - that most were fully-occupied on bigger jobs. Eventually, after a bit of arm-twisting, one team came in and put up a lifting tower, tying it into the big tree ( see below ). The idea was to hang 2 chain hoists from the ends of the ladder beam, where that tied into the tower(s). The guys did fine and, just as they were finishing, the boss came along and had them double the structure!

In the event, I needed to take more slack out of the 8T-spec lifting strops ( thank you, Safety-Lifting of Avonmouth ) so put one of the chain hoists another 2 metres up in the tree, on a BIG strop. As you can see....

One pic shows the boat just lifted off the trailer, so the trailer can be removed. The second pic show the boat ready to lower into its steel 'boat cradle'. Once the scaffolding lifts are removed, I'll use a Tirfor stump puller to slide the boat 'n cradle around sideways, on some old poles laid horizontally, and free up some parking space.

I'll need to do this lift a couple of times a year, so I'm still looking to have a gantry-structure which I can build up and take down when I need it, using alloy ladder beams and adequate bracing. I'm now trying to find my way to someone who can/will do the calculations and advise accordingly.

:smile1:​

Attachments

• IMG_2247.jpg
    IMG_2247.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2258.jpg
    IMG_2258.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 28
Looks a bit of a mishmash mate,but seems to have done the job,,urmm needs a few boards and hand rail. Was the guys name ikram by any chance lol

Thanks, Fred

I've looked through all the techie scaffolding manuals on't interweb - including Vygotsky and Bruner :D - and none of them detail a 'mishmash'. It seemed to me that it was the sort of lash-up that I'd have made myself, given a wagon full of kit and a whole Saturday, but I'm only the client! ;)

It has done the job. That's better than the other 'option'.... It didn't shift - not even when my farmer mate's ( his trailer ) old chain hoist broke with me tugging on the hand-chain. Don't ask! :notrust:

When I seek the guidance of experienced tradesmen with 'tickets', like here, I rarely argue with them. ( They're usually bigger than me! ) But there's more metal there than I'd expected, and there could well be a reason for that.....
:bigsmile:​

Thanks, Fred

I've looked through all the techie scaffolding manuals on't interweb - including Vygotsky and Bruner :D - and none of them detail a 'mishmash'. It seemed to me that it was the sort of lash-up that I'd have made myself, given a wagon full of kit and a whole Saturday, but I'm only the client! ;)

It has done the job. That's better than the other 'option'.... It didn't shift - not even when my farmer mate's ( his trailer ) old chain hoist broke with me tugging on the hand-chain. Don't ask! :notrust:

When I seek the guidance of experienced tradesmen with 'tickets', like here, I rarely argue with them. ( They're usually bigger than me! ) But there's more metal there than I'd expected, and there could well be a reason for that.....
:bigsmile:​

oldbilbo never worry about them being bigger than you hit them right there fall!!!! if not the only guidance i can give is fooking run !!!!!

When I was a kid in Glesgie, in the 50s, the only good answer to 'Whit team di' yoo support?' was to eff-aff sharpish! That's how I got into the school sprint team.... :D

alrite Bilbo mate,just having the crack,glad to see you also have a sense of humour. What tickets did they show you??And is that the company sign on the back end,or is that the jolly roger in all its glory. Bilbo,get it chocked up quick mate,and make those big guys walk the plank.lol

Thanks, 'superscaff'.

That was the first idea. Them things are big and heavy - due in part to the steel I-beam. I don't need to sling a load from the centre, so the I-beam needs only to perform as a brace. I 'reckon' an alloy scaffie ladder will do that job well.

And it has to be demountable, 'cos I don't want that sitting permanently in my front yard. The pikies would pinch it!! :notrust:

And as for 'tickets', the ones I was shown looked suspiciously like beer mats!!:D

Top Bottom