How to inspect a scaffold

Geoff couldnt care less who attends a SITS course..Geoff's sick of listening to folk with ideas above there station. TG is just that ....guidence on technical points for undesigned structures. You cant get in trouble for breaking a TG. All you need to do is proove you was working to best practice. A regulation though is different as its been passed through govenment and is now a UK law such as the working at height regs and that says the maximum gap allowed in a working platform is 25mm..Unles you have a sufficient risk assessment. It also says a scaffold must be inspected by a competent person. Most scaffs aint deemed competent four transoms under a board with 2.5m bay would not cover the nodes even a part one trainee should be able to answer that

http://www.scaffoldersforum.com/sca...how-stair-towers-tube-fitting.html#post141559

Geoff, you are talking absolute nonsense. You want to refer to TG guidance when it suits you, but you then dismiss it when you are losing an argument.

Secondly, the transom argument is utter, utter pony - only capable of being written by an 'armchair scaffolder'. What you fail to realise is that the transoms supporting the boards are doing just that - supporting the boards. Supplementary (you like that word, don't you) transoms at the node point are either fixed to the unsderside of the ledger - often called an 'aberdeen transom' - which are fixed with load bearing couplers. (Scaffolds erected using easy-fix transoms or sytem scaffolds do not require a load bearing transom at the node point) Let's face it, there is usually a transom within 300mm of a node point. Transoms fixed with singles are not adding anything to the strength of the scaffold regardless of where they are situated along the ledger. Some scaffolders fix the transom nearest to a node point with a band and plate.

All that aside - saying that 'you cannot have 4 transoms to a board' is incorrect.

As for the 25mm thing. That is a load of old b0llocks - Even 25mm is too great-a-gap if the risk assessment deems it to be. So it's a pointless argument to pursue in the first instance.

'Most scaffs aint deemed competent four transoms under a board with 2.5m bay would not cover the nodes even a part one trainee should be able to answer that'

see ialways thought that structural transoms were on non boarded lifts should be within 300mm of the node, on a boarded lift i dont think it says it has to be within 300mm of the standard, i thought it just said at distances stated by table 1?

may be i read it wrong?

As for the 25mm thing. That is a load of old b0llocks - Even 25mm is too great-a-gap if the risk assessment deems it to be. So it's a pointless argument to pursue in the first instance.

Safety on working platforms

5. A working platform shall—

(a)be of sufficient dimensions to permit the safe passage of persons and the safe use of any plant or materials required to be used and to provide a safe working area having regard to the work being carried out there; .

(b)possess a suitable surface and, in particular, be so constructed that the surface of the working platform has no gap— .

(i)through which a person could fall; .

(ii)through which any material or object could fall and injure a person; or .

(iii)giving rise to other risk of injury to any person, unless measures have been taken to protect persons against such risk; and
Correct Phil :D

According to some organisations,a 3 day course makes you qualified.

http://www.scaffoldersforum.com/sca...how-stair-towers-tube-fitting.html#post141559

Geoff, you are talking absolute nonsense. You want to refer to TG guidance when it suits you, but you then dismiss it when you are losing an argument.

Secondly, the transom argument is utter, utter pony - only capable of being written by an 'armchair scaffolder'. What you fail to realise is that the transoms supporting the boards are doing just that - supporting the boards. Supplementary (you like that word, don't you) transoms at the node point are either fixed to the unsderside of the ledger - often called an 'aberdeen transom' - which are fixed with load bearing couplers. (Scaffolds erected using easy-fix transoms or sytem scaffolds do not require a load bearing transom at the node point) Let's face it, there is usually a transom within 300mm of a node point. Transoms fixed with singles are not adding anything to the strength of the scaffold regardless of where they are situated along the ledger. Some scaffolders fix the transom nearest to a node point with a band and plate.

All that aside - saying that 'you cannot have 4 transoms to a board' is incorrect.

Ha Ha PMSL an aberdeen is not underslung on the ledgers its attached across the standards to tie the nods together, if your using them then yes you can put four supports transoms under a board.. you need to Go do one and read some books and then post on here..when you have a bit more knowledge than listening to your mates in the pub

:eek::D

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

Geoff, who do you think should be inspecting scaffolds?

lets face it if you inspect to everything can you imagine how long the reports would be, even on a good scaffold!

Very true, the point I am trying to make admittedly quite poorly is the average site agent that I have met miss glaringly obvious structural faults. I also feel that this might suit those higher up the chain as there is your fall guy right there. We have recently tripled the price for our inspections, you may be better getting someone else to do it.;)

Also, Phil181 never said an Aberdeen was underslung he said they were fitted underneath.:idea:

:eek::D

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

Geoff, who do you think should be inspecting scaffolds?

A Scaffold Inspector:laugh:

haha, he wasn't good he was the best.:laugh:

I think he is on the forum.;)

There is not a scaffold erected that I could not find fault with, But as with most things it is not all black and white, there are many shades of grey from minor to major faults.

I believe it takes a scaffolder to make these considered judgements, with or without an "inspection ticket"

As to the original question "How to inspect a scaffold" for any untrained person wishing to inspect a scaffold ask yourself

Is the scaffold in danger of falling

Can anybody fall from the scaffold

Can anything fall from the scaffold

If you answer YES to any of the above , action MUST be taken to rectify the fault

Far better to employ a competent Scaffold Inspector.

Well said as ever Rigger, good to see you back.

There is not a scaffold erected that I could not find fault with, But as with most things it is not all black and white, there are many shades of grey from minor to major faults.

I believe it takes a scaffolder to make these considered judgements, with or without an "inspection ticket"

As to the original question "How to inspect a scaffold" for any untrained person wishing to inspect a scaffold ask yourself

Is the scaffold in danger of falling

Can anybody fall from the scaffold

Can anything fall from the scaffold

If you answer YES to any of the above , action MUST be taken to rectify the fault

Far better to employ a competent Scaffold Inspector.

I agree with this 100% and you don't need to be a qualified scaffolder to make this assessment..........BUT YOU DO TO PUT IT RIGHT......and that seems to be the point everyone is missing even if I did yank a few chains...

:D:D;)

Would it not be easier just to make your point first then yank the chains? We all know about inspection tickets but less seem to know they are already a qualified inspector with the cards they hold. Just seemed a helluva long way for a short cut.

Top Bottom