How to inspect a scaffold

Why do you think someone has to be a scaffolder to inspect a scaffold

Because all the 2 day men are good at spotting is the 2" gap on the inside should be hand railed and toe boarded, it takes a scaff to spot the structural stuff. The newly qualified couldn't tell if a check fitting was required or even in the right place.

whats the maximum gap allowed in a scaffold then.? and where is that stated. and how would you know if a check fitting was required any way. Or should it be a suplimentry coupler and whats the difference between the two.
I still dont see what the techincal bit is in scaffolding....besides if had been put up right there wont be any faults to find

whats the maximum gap allowed in a scaffold then.? and where is that stated. and how would you know if a check fitting was required any way. Or should it be a suplimentry coupler and whats the difference between the two.
I still dont see what the techincal bit is in scaffolding....besides if had been put up right there wont be any faults to find

Oh! He's read NASC Guidance TG14:03...

Nice bit of bedtime reading that.

Na....Never read it, anyway a NASC TG is only for guidence.! I asked for an answer not technical advice

If a scaff dont no who does would u get chippy to inspect your bioler

Geoff,
I only speak as I find, the questions you ask would be met with many a blank stare from the 2 day inspector. The one incident I'm thinking off was a large national who grade their sites like wee school boy's A through E. After first hand-over and an inspector being flown in weekly to sign the tag the site was awarded an A which then kicked off another row as to why they can't achieve an A in the central belt when they can do it in the sticks. As the work progressed and the plan changed weekly or even daily they decided in their wisdom to remove an elevation of cladding and asked us to come down to close the gap that this caused and when I arrived on site I noticed where bracing had been removed and a slapping was dropped on to the scaffold from height and buckled it and a beam we put in to allow them to remove a standard on the base had been loosened and shifted back and just left loose. All things the inspector missed. I still reckon from my limited experience it's a scaff you need.

Na....Never read it, anyway a NASC TG is only for guidence.! I asked for an answer not technical advice

Well you'd struggle to justify an argument about the structural integrity of a scaffold without referring to some form of technical guidance.

As for the question on the maximum gap allowed between scaffold boards - there isn't a definitive answer, so it boils down to the residual risk assessment for each individual platform.

If a scaff dont no who does would u get chippy to inspect your bioler

Im not a machanic but if I paid to have my car seviced and the steering fluid had not been touched I would be some kind i **** head to pay the man the money...If I was paying for a scaffold I would want it put up right, not have four transoms to a board with 2.4m bays and 3.0m lifts and gaps that tools can fall through left in it, I wouldnt need to be scaff to know that was wrong
...I would want what I had paid for wouldnt I ?

i thought you could put four transoms to a board if you did it right?

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

Who MOT's the car, the cleaner?

window cleaner!!!

Am i right??????:D

Im not a machanic but if I paid to have my car seviced and the steering fluid had not been touched I would be some kind i **** head to pay the man the money...If I was paying for a scaffold I would want it put up right, not have four transoms to a board with 2.4m bays and 3.0m lifts and gaps that tools can fall through left in it, I wouldnt need to be scaff to know that was wrong
...I would want what I had paid for wouldnt I ?

What's wrong with 4 transoms to a 3.9m board at 1.20m C/C?

What's wrong with 2.4m bays on a 0.75kN/m2 - 1no lift loaded access scaffold?

What's wrong with a 3.0m lift that has been designed by a competent engineer?

The geezer is a mug mate.

I bet he's hammering away on Google right now trying to find the answers.

ha ha someone once said to me coaches coach because they could never make it!

to be fair if he scaffolds like he can play the guitar he will be ok!

I think Geoff would like to see more trainee SITS coming to the centers.

Geoff couldnt care less who attends a SITS course..Geoff's sick of listening to folk with ideas above there station. TG is just that ....guidence on technical points for undesigned structures. You cant get in trouble for breaking a TG. All you need to do is proove you was working to best practice. A regulation though is different as its been passed through govenment and is now a UK law such as the working at height regs and that says the maximum gap allowed in a working platform is 25mm..Unles you have a sufficient risk assessment. It also says a scaffold must be inspected by a competent person. Most scaffs aint deemed competent four transoms under a board with 2.5m bay would not cover the nodes even a part one trainee should be able to answer that

So now I'm getting above my station for daring to air my views. I've got news for you Geoff, get used to it or try facebook.

As Bri has already noted, those that can do, and those that can't, teach.

Top Bottom