How do you get on a scaff step ?

philliosmaximus

Reaction score
I am prepared for a hiding here lads and i have never even seen a real step , my question is how do you get on and of the fooking thing without the risk of falling of it , these things dont look any safer to me then my double milk crates that i use to put in 8 foot lifts , is there a method for safely getting on and of the thing :unsure:

Don't know Phillo, never used em either. look dodgy enough.

Thats what i was thinking brandy you got 3 or 4 steps to climb up with nothing to grab , i know whats coming next HANDRAIL THE STEPS :laugh::laugh::laugh:

open it up attach the clips to the top handrail hook on then use the four steps to mount the podium easy peasy mate.

I see them as very dangerous, but I would never be able to use them because my knees are f***ed. Do I have to get a now job!!!

Been scaffolding 20 years!! What am I going to re-train at 46?

Tunnelling is safe. I know the legislations says its not due to the open edge but you still have to do your job!
:cry:

you already fixed your ledgers they act as the handrail,,,still got to be clipped on

i dont know lads , it is getting beyond a joke i aint gonna buy them and i aint gonna make my lads us them

your lift rail is your guardrail,beware allan and jakdan as they may recip the fooking thing.

if you cant use em dont there are alternatives as you all know were just using the sliding h/rail at the moment great to be off they steps for a bit.

i know how they work Celtic but was just wondering how you got on the things can you just walk up them ?

there are step to access platform and a short tail lanyard leading edge protection sg 4 10

the step mark 1 was a bit dodgy to get on but mark 2 is easy with the flip down steps!!

phill ive been using them and they are a ball ache we have been putting scaffold up using easyfix (bones, double enders )so the transom is already in place so that means you have to stand on about eight inches of the step ended up fuxxing them of very very very bad idea

According to RAMS i have seen, you erect your ledgers, and place a transom either side of the standard to act as side handrails.

Then you attach your step, and on facing it, you place your hands either side of the Tea tray(platform) and ascend the steps, til able to hold your ledger (acting handrail).:eek::eek:to descend, Jump because Allan and Jakdan have a Stihl saw.:nuts:

We got shown the lydons video to this 21' tower at the second lift the toppers were already in before the handrail went in.

When I asked my Dixon supervisor "how did they do that? Top out before the handrail was in?"
he said
"you always top out over a handrail."

That fooking amazes me!!!

Probably why they call him baseplate Neil!!!

And we got told to use them on EVERY scaffold we put up.

Plus they tried to make us sign a form to say if we didn't use them they'll fine us upto £1000.

Top Bottom