How do they get away with it!

• Thread starter southernpoofter
  • Start date
S

southernpoofter

I enjoy being on here, exchanging views, giving advise, and generally adding my tupence worth,
but just when you think the game is improving you see something that shatters the illusion, and say to yourself "how do they get away with it"

I was having a jolly today and thought i'd do a bit of xmas shopping in my home town of Basingstoke, 9 am in a pedestrian area part of town with as you can imagine lots of civis...nothing out of the oridinary in this you may think,
so imagine my surprise when i saw 3 so called scaff no hats harness,boots hiviz at all, 10m shopfront x 4 lifts - with no area cordoned off,bombing into a wheelbarrell, and dropping their gear onto the ground around them , while leaving the long leaning at a angle from the strike, all while Fing & blinding at the top of their voice.

so my question to the forum is why are they allowed to get away with it, and is this (and i hope not ) the way we should be..:cry:

nobody agrees with all the rules and regs shoved down our throats but not one scaff wants to hurt someone surely , that just sounds ridiculous bombing in the main street.i havent wore trainers in years since i put 5 5 foots down on my toe when i were 16

S.P, you see them every where and not just in our trade but as I try and explain to my clients who can pay dear to get it done right, at least we can sleep at night. If the worst was to happen there is loads of things we have put in place to reduce the effect so any sanctions would reduce on the same scale (hopefully). I try and do it right, in no way should you infer we always manage it but I reckon we are there or there about's, and to be honest I just ignore the cowboy's flinging up alli towers on the street without a permit despite getting chinned from the local authority that some of my high vis cable ties holding on my high vis padding protecting the public from that devilishly dangerous smooth galvi tube leaping out at you and tripping you up(Sorry, I digress:embarrest:) are protruding. I just do my own thing and let the rest batter at it.:cool:

aom.
not infering anything budd, just pisses me of that these are the type of cowboys that we are up against - how can we compete in price , - i also try my best but as u know sometimes it difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel when its so crowded with chancers and blaggers , we try to be as complient as we can, but to watch this today just maddened me -

I enjoy being on here, exchanging views, giving advise, and generally adding my tupence worth,
but just when you think the game is improving you see something that shatters the illusion, and say to yourself "how do they get away with it"

I was having a jolly today and thought i'd do a bit of xmas shopping in my home town of Basingstoke, 9 am in a pedestrian area part of town with as you can imagine lots of civis...nothing out of the oridinary in this you may think,
so imagine my surprise when i saw 3 so called scaff no hats harness,boots hiviz at all, 10m shopfront x 4 lifts - with no area cordoned off,bombing into a wheelbarrell, and dropping their gear onto the ground around them , while leaving the long leaning at a angle from the strike, all while Fing & blinding at the top of their voice.

so my question to the forum is why are they allowed to get away with it, and is this (and i hope not ) the way we should be..:cry:

Its Scaffolders like that who help f.uck this game up.
But unfortunately, there are more of those ones, then us.

cheap and nasty scaffolders working for cheap and nasty contractors

a wise man once told me many years ago " you get what you are willing to accept"

how right u are jason- but the way the industry is going how long till these dinosaus are also extinct

aom.
not infering anything budd, just pisses me of that these are the type of cowboys that we are up against - how can we compete in price , - i also try my best but as u know sometimes it difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel when its so crowded with chancers and blaggers , we try to be as complient as we can, but to watch this today just maddened me -

Yes, it's annoying and frustrating and if you add costing you money by winning work as their over heads are so minimal it's tough but they will never win work of you from a descent client, they would never get a big job. The smaller stuff is our bread and butter but we are getting marginalised by the rough and ready so we are becoming more and more reliant on larger jobs from outsiders which is fine at the moment as they all seem to be payers and I'm afraid we will just have to come to accept that the smaller jobs are not going to come our way as often at least until something goes wrong and cut our cloth to suit. The client is as much to blame, if they are not going to allow enough in the contract for a scaffold to go up correctly they too should be brought to book.

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

a wise man once told me many years ago " you get what you are willing to accept"

I quite like that saying Scotontour, and here is mine when discussing with the boy's in the morning what I expect from the day ahead, "I want jam on it". I want it done safely, efficiently and I want it done for commercial gain. I'm not good at accepting any less.

Southern they are everywhere mate , they never last long.
When you do things to he best of your ability and try to do things right all the time it can be very frustrating to see these doughnuts just turn up without any regard for HSE ,
but like Aom says they will never get a decent job of you , trouble is the people that contract these idiots are only interested in the price .
I would paid the lads to knock it down on a Sunday morning when there are a lot less public around.

I would paid the lads to knock it down on a Sunday morning when there are a lot less public around.

Snap.:noworry:

southern were they the big firm that had the huge birdcage up through the shopping centre in the summer?

or a smaller out fit

How can you classify the guys that have to do the job........ for reasons that could be simple as.........I need to feed my family as we have no food, as "Cheap and nasty Scaffolders" ?

I agree with ;Cheap and nasty Contractors.... thats their livliehood. However, Collective agreement on a job, and your the FNG thats going to change the world, and stir the sh1t, for the rest. I wish it was, however...... in the real world on the street the jobs get done, then move on to your next one as the clock is ticking.

I am saying it as it is....and we all know how it is. We all cant work offshore or in Powerstations, we still need the Guys at the pointy end for front and backs, and the ever popular 'Solar panel' work.

Newbuild... those lads are getting stitched up as well.......i for one dont go to work for Fun....../i go for ££££££££££ 33 year on pricework, :eek: sore is one word i could state.

Streetwork as the original thread was.......Winter months when can you safely dismantle in a town centre at Xmas.......

I am thinking as i am typing here, this could all be a crock of sh1t to the lads that have the 'Good jobs' However..... think of your fellow scaffs.

scotontour this is not..and i repeat not a slur on your posting my friend.

regards
Paddy

southern poofter if i knew it was you staring up i would have introduced myself.
we cut corners i agree but its a long way from basingstoke to glasgow and the traffic on a friday is a cant to say the least,anyway im home safely now with a nice wee can of nelson mandella.

you do know im kidding dont yous;)

daftscaff,
knew u were jokin cos the guy on the lift was drinking special brew not tennents lol

paddy
i made my judgement based on the original post.
no ppe of any kind, bombing on a main street and behaving like morons.

no self respecting decent scaff would behave like that in this day and age
it is nothing to do with powerstations or offshore its about being professional and safe.

but thats my opinion.

Last edited:
Sunday morning 7.00am knock the fu ck out of it and gone by 10am thats the only way to do a job like that on the street :)

Top Bottom