how did you get into scaffolding?

benjo0211

Reaction score
Most scaffs I talk to got into this game through relatives, I got into it through my cousin who's dad was was a scaff but now teaches instead (lazy) just wondering how some of you got into it

because i thought it was a job where if u could work hard u could make money , but it seems that it doesnt matter how hard u can work because companies dont let u make money , people like turners and palmers who want u too work for pennies like interserve and sgb who give u a price then try and bump u , then theres the agencys who want u too work for £10 an hour but ure self employed so ure actually working for about 8 quid an hour , scaffolding is the shittiest trade to be in , run by ********* regulated by *********

i started on mills scaffolding when it was a good job to have
good lads good crack and good money
i was 18 when i started im now 51 i watched this trade go down hill its no fun now
the cracks gone and the grasses have moved in there not many lads you can trust
in this game anymore

Ill tell you a story.
It was a stormy night, many years ago... the winds were blowing high and thunder was in the distance. A dark cloud drifted over an old Scaffold Yard and lightning struck a pile of fittings, animating it with natural wrath and strength.

From that pile rose a baby, clutching a Scaffold Spanner..., full of raw power and unrivalled wisdom that boy was called: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (fill in the blanks, lol)

Honestly. :)
I started off as a Trainee Engineer/Tea Boy and i was 'persuaded' to start Scaffolding Labouring nearly 14 years ago.
Been doing it ever since.

Yup waaaay to many grasses n its normally the sh!t scaffs covering there @sses haha to be fair I'm glad I came in still have a good crack just poop money thank you ancestors hahaha

cn it in carreers office when i was 18 thought great job attended the interview and gott a start wi sgb.

worked in the yard for 6 months great laugh and then out on the street wi great bunch of guys willing to teach u the game best time of my carreer no snakes cld all work together and throw up healthy amout of scaffolding plus we would go out and get melted together to bring bak those days

have since work at few places and cn growin men suck cant off thought scaffs had more pride in them selfs never in my life will i drop to my knees and rim any cant call me old fashioned but let my work speak for its self

tell u wot all the old skool scaffs will be turning in there graves if they cld c wots going on now bak in the day these cant would have got there c unt kicked in and never cn again bring bak those days and get the rats to feck

we had a guy that was a **** on mills like to shitstir so the guys hung him upside down on the rope & wheel he soon f@ucked off after that lol

A 16 year old mate of mine told me he was a scaffolders labourer at Mills Scaffolding in Bradford and told me to get in there, went along saw Bruno Tarazac and got the job, turned up on the Monday morning to start and got promptly sent home as i was 2 weeks short of my 16th birthday, anyway went back a fortnight later and 40 + years later for my sins i am still in the game

When I was 16 my mum said you either stay on at school or get a job. I wanted money so opted for the job. I wanted to be a sparky like my old man but there were no apprenticeships available but there was positions for apprentice scaffs. I applied and was successful. That was that

Drugs, drink and being a total broken brained muppet got me into scaffolding :nuts:

I had pre qualified to join the R.A.F as a Aircraft Technician All I had to do was get the same results in my main exams as I had done in my mock exams 4 months before , but within that 4 month I discovered Drink, Marijuana , Ecstacy, trips , cars and girls so by the time my exams came around I had forgotten more than I had learnt and got 5 Ds 2 Es ( not the tablets :laugh: ) so then Thought I would just be a Bum for 6 months but as I come from a family with a good working Back ground my Idea of just bumming around lasted 3 days before my father threw me in car and marched me to my local scaffold contractors place to ask for a job, I took to it like a duck to water especially as it was summer time doing all council contracts wolf whistling at women , working just in shorts getting a tan , the crack was fcukin brilliant except for the beasting but even that didnt put me off and loved doing 2 big blocks off flats after my first year I was well hooked .

The R.A.F would possibly have been a superb experience I know but I count myself lucky to have been in work doing a job I used to love a lot since my school days finished ,

I dont do looking back, or regrets its a waste of good thinking time in my book . :noworry:

i went to bircham newton in 1983 for a year being sponsered by SGB (great firm to learn on ), my dad was a scaffolder working in london and he got me started

Like many others on here .... i was born into it.

Every weekend and School holiday ( and a sizeable chunk of School term time too :) ) was spent with the old man working for UBM , Graysons , Scaffwest or Hammer scaffolding humping gear around and slowly twisting my brain into thinking it`s the trade to be in . On the bright side though .... by the time i left School i had done most of my labouring and was let loose as chargehand at 17 , that was early 90`s when it was still a good time for Scaffs and the money was much better than any other trade ...... OMFG ! how things of changed :(

left school with a few descent results (o levels haha old tw@) 85 work was scarce so went to work in a factory, the old mans mate got me a job done that for about a year then at 17/18 my mate (10 year older) said a company was looking for young labourers scaffolding, sent in a letter phoned up the same day, started the next, loved every minute couldn't believe it working in newcastle city centre shouting at the f@nny etc, climbing up jobs 16 lifts up without a ladder, women in the offices loving it (or so i thought:nuts:)
never looked back, gave me everything i ever wanted AND MORE, i tried to get out of it for a year due to pneumonia and thought i couldn't hack it any more.
IT JUST SUCKED ME BACK I MISSED THE CRACK,
I've met some of the best blokes in the world i still keep in touch with, but i have also met some of the biggest bag stabbing snidey little fukcs you could ever wish to meet, but that's the same in all walks of life.
got two sons who have come into i t just like me, not ideal i know but if they have the life SCAFFOLDING has provided for me and mine they will be OK.

I had the chance to be a brickie once ( thank fukc that went t1ts up)

BEST JOB IN THE WORLD, IMO

Spent 25 years in roofing & structural waterproofing. Running my own firm for 10 years. Sold that to take up a job as a senior contracts manager for a pretty big flat roofing company in Wakefield. Within a year the recession really took hold & it was shut down ( big overheads, big problems when the work dries up) got a job labouring on ratcliffe power station through my neibghbour who's in the office for c&d. Worked every hour possible, watched the boys doing the jobs & asked the right questions & listened to the answers. Became more & more involved in the work, so I put myself through my part 1 & part 2. I still try & learn something new every day. Never ever wanted to do this for a living, in fact I hated scaffolding in the days when everyone did their own mods but if truth be told I wish I'd done this years ago. :eek:

Finished School on a Wednesday, had my time out (on the Thursday) Started working For Anglesey Scaffolding on the Friday (Yes My old man worked there), never been out of work for a single day since. Been scaffolding for 25 years and running our business for the last 14 years...

Have a look at the website JR Scaffolding North Wales - Domestic, Commercial and Industrial Scaffolding

Top Bottom