Hilti tie loads

seems to me there is an oppurtunity here for someone to invent a harness point for using in brickwork/concrete. could make someone a few quid.

You can get a ring bolt that rope access guys ( gay bast.rds ) use, but there only to clip onto, scaff tube won't run thru... you drill an fix them like a Hilti ring...

i can't grasp this chinkey that is being talked about. surely if you fix band and plate to the wall as if it was on an imaginary standard at six foot apart lets say four of them, then run a 21' tube in as a ledger, clip on to that tube, then this is how the fitting would be used in a normal scaffold. as long the fixing used for the tie, apollo/excalibur/hilti was up to the job then that would be ok.

The chinky thing is what we used to call a half set. If you put a tube running the same way as the wall straight into the set it would be taking the forces from left to right rather than the shear required. It seemed easier to explain when I started to write this.:nuts:

i'd imagine there is some mountain climbing gear out there that would do a similar job aswell. looks like i won't be a millionaire any time soon then.

Just glad I'm putting a scaff up now instead of fuking about with shear weights and vertical forces..lol.... ****... I'll be on 1,000 posts at this rate...:eek:

i can't grasp this chinkey that is being talked about. surely if you fix band and plate to the wall as if it was on an imaginary standard at six foot apart lets say four of them, then run a 21' tube in as a ledger, clip on to that tube, then this is how the fitting would be used in a normal scaffold. as long the fixing used for the tie, apollo/excalibur/hilti was up to the job then that would be ok.

Morning chris o,
sorry for the slow response I have been on a flight to the UK.
You thought about the B&P at the standard is correct but only when the load is applied directly at the the B&P. Consider the rest of the condition by taking the next step where the load is mid span between two anchors. I the condition you expresses ie 4 ties on a long would give a span of around 6'. Apply the 6kN force to the mid span condition and your tube would be around 3 times overloaded.
When this bending condition occurs it will induce a rotation into the B&P either side of the load and a tension load (pulling ) against the side of the band and plate this load will be in the narrow axis (known in the old days as chinky) of the fitting and not in the long axis which is where the strength is. This is the axis the B&P is likely to fail in.
If you consider this in either of the end bays your tube could pull through the B&P, not so good for the dope on a rope!!
If you consider a continuous tube over many bays this would also prove to be a problem in sleeved bays.
Hope this helps
regards
Alan

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 AM ----------

The chinky thing is what we used to call a half set. If you put a tube running the same way as the wall straight into the set it would be taking the forces from left to right rather than the shear required. It seemed easier to explain when I started to write this.:nuts:

Morning AOM
I thought it would be easier myself !!
merry xmas
Alan

want to put Hilti's in the the brick wall that runs alongside the track,
cheers AOM
you will need to ensure that the ties go into the second leaf of brickwork and not just the front brick, as this will most certainly not take a shock load.
the fixings will then need to be tested to 6kN, you have then got the basics of a line system.

If you only need to test them to 6kn why would the first leaf not hold it?

Oh, are you are still talking about the hilti in brick? I think it was quickly recognised the hilti rings were not suitable.

Oh, are you are still talking about the hilti in brick? I think it was quickly recognised the hilti rings were not suitable.

sorry mate i joined this thread at the end without reading all the other posts, so i thought you were looking to put a series of eye bolts in to create a safety line,
you are right though, hilti fixings are unsuitable for this type of system, i was talking about class a1 anchors to EN795, of which are resin fixed into a suitable structure which meets Bs7883, ie second leaf in solid brickwork, not cavity wall. a cavity wall would require a through fix with a plate bolted on the back.

No problem stourbridge, I thought that but wasn't sure. Welcome to the forum and keep posting.

Top Bottom