Hilti tie loads

cala

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a hilti tie will take a vertical shock load ? pretty sure they don't just trying to confirm.. looked on internet and can't find any info..

What's it for? I'm the same as you, unsure but would doubt very much if anything would take a shock load but then again I'm continually wrong.:embarrest:

Were erecting a job on a crane and want to put Hilti's in the the brick wall that runs alongside the track, then put tubes through to form a running line to clip onto, and we can't clip onto anything on the crane... if a fall occurs the Hilti would take a vertical shock as opposed to the normal horizontal pull..

cheers AOM

It will depend on which type of tie you are using. If its a ring bolt forget it. Hilti bolts will take a shear load however the problem may not be the bolt it is more likley to be the brickwork.
I would be looking for an alternative to be honest
regards
Alan

"want to put Hilti's in the the brick wall that runs alongside the track, then put tubes through to form a running line to clip onto"

Think you will require a "Life-line" set up, if it is to ensure the safety of your men.Secured at both ends to the specs of the equipment you choose to use

Cheers lads, thought that... know any decent places that sell that type of gear ?

I have seen them in the usual places but spanset would be my first port of call.

Have you tried the nylon set up, I don't know about for hooking on but they do take a shear in brick just don't know what loads you would need.

Spanset do them or try BH Sala, if they are still about... i think they are called DBI-Sala now or maybe even Latchways.

These used to be market leaders in Fall Prevention and Working at Height.
Once apon a time. :)

Load would be 1 man approx 13 stone.... really expensive these running line systems, and you have to get an approved installer to fit them, might end up sticking towers up for the crane people instead.....

If i had to trust my weight (14 stone) to a Hilti Tie or Excalibur Bolt, tied in, then i would be quietly confident to clip on to it.

I very very much doubt that the weight of a man would be enough force to pull a tie out of the wall that is used to tie in a Scaffold, that is sheeted. :)

I would doubt it as well Jason but it's proving it that causes the problems.

Scaffolders have used Hilti rings to tie scaffolds in for years but now the new ties have come out on the market us scaffs have lost confidence in the good old Hilti ring tie..... as a suggestion why not use the Anchor ring with a nylon plug into the wall (which has a pull test) and put a steel line through the rings and triple bull dog clip the line at each end just like when you are doing a wire slung scaffolds, used in cinema's ect.....

Scaffolders have used Hilti rings to tie scaffolds in for years but now the new ties have come out on the market us scaffs have lost confidence in the good old Hilti ring tie..... as a suggestion why not use the Anchor ring with a nylon plug into the wall (which has a pull test) and put a steel line through the rings and triple bull dog clip the line at each end just like when you are doing a wire slung scaffolds, used in cinema's ect.....

I agree regarding the strength of the Hilti, I'd be happy swinging on one, thing is there designed for a horizontal force pull, fall arrest would be vertical, and seeing as I'm in charge, I'm the one who gets fucked if it fails... plus whoever is on the end dies.... Probably go with a wire rope fall arrest system... thanks for all the replies lads..:bigsmile:

Good luck which way you go with it mate.... be good be safe...

Were erecting a job on a crane and want to put Hilti's in the the brick wall that runs alongside the track, then put tubes through to form a running line to clip onto, and we can't clip onto anything on the crane... if a fall occurs the Hilti would take a vertical shock as opposed to the normal horizontal pull..

cheers AOM

use the apollo bolt 2 off with a band and plate, then run your tubes in, just about bullet proof

I'll have a look at that mate... gotta be certified though, our place is a HSE hell..lol....

Are you using the HKD drop in anchors with the rings?

They are only designed for concrete not brick work according to the new TG4.

when hilti rings are used the tube arrangement usually goes with the load; ie the tube would go vertically so if impact was applied and the scaffold dropped due to the ground then the tube would slide through the ring and not shear off due to possible excessive loading. I THINK!!!!!

I also think that the impact load required for harness suspension is around 6kn

Hopefully ALan or some one can come up with the real answer!

Load would be 1 man approx 13 stone.... really expensive these running line systems, and you have to get an approved installer to fit them, might end up sticking towers up for the crane people instead.....

Morning Cala
the load requirement is no to do with the weight of the man it is to do with the impact of the weight of the man falling. I.E. the arresting force which is around 6kN this is around 3 times the weight of your 13st man.

---------- Post added at 02:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 AM ----------

If i had to trust my weight (14 stone) to a Hilti Tie or Excalibur Bolt, tied in, then i would be quietly confident to clip on to it.

I very very much doubt that the weight of a man would be enough force to pull a tie out of the wall that is used to tie in a Scaffold, that is sheeted. :)

Morning Jay
In the case of a Hilti anchor it would depend on the Hilti to be used. You cannot clip onto a ring bolt they are for pull out only and not designed for a vertical impact load.
regards
Alan

---------- Post added at 02:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 AM ----------

use the apollo bolt 2 off with a band and plate, then run your tubes in, just about bullet proof

Morning Jackdan
this was my first thought also, however upon reflection not so sure. If the B&P is bolted to the wall and the tubes run between two fixings the B&P will be what we used to call "chinkey" ie flat to its load bearing capacity. Remember the load to resist is 6kN assuming the chap falls close to either anchor the full load to the tie point would be close to the B&P SWL in the right direction let alone the non load bearing direction.
Yopu may have to turn the B&P flat on the wall put a vertival butt and then 2 horizontals to stop the rotation upon impact????
regards
Alan

---------- Post added at 02:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 AM ----------

The Hilti ring on a HKD Shield is the same as it always has been, but for the time I have been in the industry it has been incorrectley used. IE in brickwork. Hilti have always refused to give data on the use of the HKD in brick. The ring has never been approved for a vertical load and should not be used in this fashion.
The nylon anchor would beed to be tested to 3 times the impact load which would indicate a pull test of 18kN.
This method is not to be advised
regards
Alan

Top Bottom