high way to heaven

feeling the love right now...

Hi all,

OK, I was expecting a bit of a hard time, I didn't expect an '*ss kickin' just because I'm not one of the brethren...

I'm pretty sure if I was a scaffolder bring this to the forum, then the really offend members here would have joined their brothers to slate the crew who did this job... (its easy to attack, not so easy to step back an look at the whole picture)

Trades; qualified plumber, then 15 years as a joiner & then retrained at 40 as an electrician. Now 48 & my back is shot. (just giving facts , don't want sympathy, don't give a sh*t if you think I'm a failure, I state it for the few who actually want to help me, so they know where my mid set comes from)

If I didn't give s sh*t abut doing the right thing & understanding where the reality of a site scaffold & where some poxy rule is over kill. I wouldn't have posted here & would have been the kind of idiot who believes their own bullsh*t.

I will get terminology wrong sometimes, I don't live & breath scaffolding

Trip hazard- noted & the brace was to be cut back

Tom, **** & harry- Fully agree, why do you think I came here

Full scaffold pix for job- I didn't want to do that because the scaffold had so many issues, I thought that it would cause a negative ' I'm attacking scaffolders' reaction', I wanted to have an open mind & advice (guess I might as well have not bothered...)

The rest of the site & house keeping - on this one & trust me there was so much wrong with the site I gave them seven days to sort & return unannounced.

There was no point posting pix of every other c*ck up the site manager was letting happen, I just wanted other scaffolder's input on scaffold issues & to LEARN.

Sorry, getting to be a long one...

Deep breath, can we start again or do I just become the beast some of you think I am & just quote from some regs book without knowing the full SP?

Steve

What you've got to understand pal is that we get the sh1t end of the stick every time from safety officers who don't know there ars3 from their elbow with regards to scaffolding, they read a book and think they're experts,hence the gripes. 2 weeks worth of scaffold inspection courses in my opinion doesn't qualify someone to inspect a scaffold, . I've been scaffolding 17 years, A carded and Supervisors card and still pick new stuff up and learn new things all the time.

Don't get me wrong, i read that you've come to get advise which i doff my cap to you for that as at least you trying to get the right information, and i hope your genuine with what to say, as the timescale between you joining and your first post tally's up with some of the wind-up d1ckheads that come on, and this makes me a bit sceptical that your not another numbty!

P.s Please note opinions referenced herein are those of the writer and such can not be interpreted as those of the majority. These are my opinions, and nothing to do with the forum, forum members or any other person, dead or alive that have joined or will join this elite group of special individuals. Also not discounting those of us with the terrible ginger pubic gene affliction, that smites the nether regions and facially growth zones with such callous disregard for what others may think of said copper coloured follicle members. FCK the baldies, up the gingers, peace out!

Most of the boys on here will have, at one time or another been on the receiving end of an overzealous, ill-informed H&S guy spouting innane drivel at him about how his job is a death-trap or some other such nonsense as it doesn't have a stop-end toeboard or some equally non-descript fault that could be rectified in two minutes. It is for this reason you shouldn't be surprised to encounter some antipathy when you, as an H&S man come on asking us, the scaffolders, to identify faults on another scaff's work.

Having said that, if you really want an objective and concise opinion on the scaffold, then as aom stated, you'll have to post pictures of the whole job.

From the two that were posted, yes while the base plates aren't completely level, presumably the lifts are, and the job is, braced, plumb and tied. As I said earlier, it's going nowhere.

Personally, I'd have built the sole pads up or staggered the standards or whatever was necessary to ensure it looked the part. I would feel pretty hard done by, if it was suggested the job should be stripped and re-erected based on that. The weight of the whole job is distributing the weight between all these points. The scaffolder could fit a few 'jammers' to ease your mind, tubes wedged both ways against the walls ensuring virtually no movement.

Also, the trannie that overshoots into the walkway is clearly a trip hazard and should be changed or chopped.

Copperknackers/ stonedrose1

I hear you, I have become the devil that I used to hate, hopefully I will have a bit more bl**dy common sense than them...
I joined the site just after I did the course & do drop in to read the boards, didn't ask before now, because I have had pretty good scaffolds to check...
I won't be bothering the members every day with a what if questions all the time
I will ask & not judge before I've listened first, (and I will get it wrong some times)

Cheers for the advice, I didn't ask the scaffold to be struck before & now I won't get it done, - the crews advice that it's stable enough thru the rest of the structure to cope with this, is good enough for me, ta

Steve

Last edited:
Sorry. . . I fainted there for a minute from the shock. Cheers and good luck.;)

If your genuine Steve, used properly this forum can be a handy tool, and a good source of information. There's a good mix of opinion and perspectives from company owners, through management to the pointy end of the stick and the lads doing the turning.

Well most of the time anyway!:nuts:

Guy's,

I'm being genuine, I have no reason to use you or this site to throw stones & tell teacher
Can only prove I'm genuine going forward in what I do & say...

As for getting rinsed, well shouldn't have become the devil if my skin was so sensitive, I was initially annoyed at Stoney, but ended up p*ssing myself, thinking, you know what, I've done the same when i got a kicking on site by others...

huraah for the men with long poles!

Steve

Tubes, not poles....you'll pick it up ;-)

terrible base out of course but being only 2 lifts high and tied at the top lift, the outside standard can't go anywhere due to the dog leg bracing. the 'fix' isn't doing much other than creating a trip hazard.

Aik iron in

I still believe you are not qualified or competent to inspect and make judgements on scaffold structures. Or make general site inspections to implement the “The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974”

You appear to think that you can pick it up as you go along, with the two day basic scaffold inspection course thus far your only training (posted) . A good scaffolders labourer, let alone a qualified scaffolder could make a far superior inspection than a two day wonder.

Do you prepare and sign off the scaffold register?

Do you work for yourself or a company?

Please admit this thread is a wind-up, put my mind at rest that your apparent incompetence will not lead to serious injury or death.

Aik iron in

I still believe you are not qualified or competent to inspect and make judgements on scaffold structures. Or make general site inspections to implement the “The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974”

You appear to think that you can pick it up as you go along, with the two day basic scaffold inspection course thus far your only training (posted) . A good scaffolders labourer, let alone a qualified scaffolder could make a far superior inspection than a two day wonder.

Please admit this thread is a wind-up, put my mind at rest that your apparent incompetence will not lead to serious injury or death.

Now who's making assumptions. The guy never said all he's done is the two day scaffold inspection course.

He's seeking advice which not so long ago you were at pains to explain the scaffolders forum was intended for and not for the 'comedians'.

Why don't you pm him if you want to question his credentials. He's taken a bit of stick but to call him incompetent and suggest his actions will lead to serious injury or death is frankly, reprehensible.

Gie yersel peace. It's Christmas.

Rigger,
you obviously have a fetish for safety officers... :)

You don't know me, you don't know my skills or past training, & are guessing as to what I do & don't know about scaffolding, you've already judged me, so fair enough, I can't change your first impression...

I haven't made any judgement on you, but I'll admit, you're making it hard to see any positives...

Some of your crew are prepared to reserve judgement & offer me advice & help me understand your take on scaffold issues, they are the one's i'll be listening to...

Steve

assumption made on

" I did the CISRS scaffold inspectors course a year ago & know I 'know nuffink' in the real scaffold world,"

"If I didn't give s sh*t abut doing the right thing & understanding where the reality of a site scaffold & where some poxy rule is over kill."

"Trades; qualified plumber, then 15 years as a joiner & then retrained at 40 as an electrician" ( no mention of H&S training)

Aki Feel free to make your "judgment" I will of course treat it with contempt.

Oh for F*ck sake, not gonna let it go R U...

NEBOSH Construction
NEBOSH fire
NEBOSH general
CISRS
PASMA
Asbestos P405
C&G level 3 electrical
C&G level 3 IT excel Data bases
C&G level 3 Swedish Massage
C&G level 2 plumber
HGV fitter
Solar PV installer
National sports coach
6th Dan Tomiki Aikido (hence Aikironin)
Inside leg is 28 1/2 inches (just longer than my...)

I don't know it all, I don't profess to think I can b*llsh*t & get away with it here, that's why I said from the get go I was H&S & didn't try to hide it...

Now unless you have a kn*b that's longer than your legs, have an IQ like Steven Hawkins or pix of a girl friend who looks like Kelly brook, please let it go, cos nothing you've said so far is remotely helpful & I'll ignore you going forward.

best of luck to you
Steve

Ronin....a samurai without a master ?...well seens as your lost in the world. ...your back fuked and your genuinely looking for some guidance and direction....

FUK OFF YOU GRASSING RAT BSTARD, GET A JOB WHERE YOU CONTRIBUTE TO SOCIETY RATHER THAN LEACH OFF YOUR FELLOW MAN AND WHEN YOU GET HOME TONIGHT DONT FORGET TO TELL YOUR BOYFRIEND WHAT A FUKIN HERO YOUVE JUST BEEN......RAT !

Ha ha, very funny. :laugh:

Oh for F*ck sake, not gonna let it go R U...

NEBOSH Construction
NEBOSH fire
NEBOSH general
CISRS
PASMA
Asbestos P405
C&G level 3 electrical
C&G level 3 IT excel Data bases
C&G level 3 Swedish Massage
C&G level 2 plumber
HGV fitter
Solar PV installer
National sports coach
6th Dan Tomiki Aikido (hence Aikironin)
Inside leg is 28 1/2 inches (just longer than my...)

I don't know it all, I don't profess to think I can b*llsh*t & get away with it here, that's why I said from the get go I was H&S & didn't try to hide it...

Now unless you have a kn*b that's longer than your legs, have an IQ like Steven Hawkins or pix of a girl friend who looks like Kelly brook, please let it go, cos nothing you've said so far is remotely helpful & I'll ignore you going forward.

best of luck to you
Steve

Hmmm a croydon boy that knows martial arts thought ud be popular on here mate lol

Lets face it!!!
Those 2 day courses for non scaffs,are just wrong.

You sober Bobby??

Lets face it!!!
Those 2 day courses for non scaffs,are just wrong.

Agreed, nice to see on the other thread that British Gas recognise you really need an ex scaff to do the job.

Might not be later fred just had a call ;) that's good about british gas boys incidently do you need any background/qualifications for the nebosh diploma? Or a career in health and saftey??

Top Bottom