Help

Had a bit of read up and if you signed into a contract then you may have to pay some money back. It should only be a proportion of the training costs and not the full costs, also if these charges were to put you under the minimum wage then they cannot enforce it.

I laboured for a company for years and eventually they put me in an adult
Apprenticeship. This finished earlier this year. This is where the problems start
I had to sighn a contract saying I would stay for 2 years after it finished or pay them two grand. It was price work and wages were short and jobs majorly underpriced I worked like a dog for them. It was mostly system 90p a square meter up 45p down I struggled to pay bills and keep a roof over my head so I left and got a well paid job doin mostly tube and fitting scaffold and I love my job now. They have writer to me threatening legal action unless I pay up. Do I have a leg to stand on any feed back appreciated especially employers

Seek solicitors advice ASAP remember this is a scaffolders forum

Just spoken with our HR department and if the apprenticeship was for a NVQ then it is the company who is liable to pay for it regardless of what is in your contract.

Years ago i was manager of my local company and the boss put 3 lads through there assesed route of entry for there Part2. He made them sign a contract agreeing that if they left within 12 months they would owe him the money, Anyway 2 of them after a couple of months handed there notice in, The manager went up the wall ranting over this money that they owd him the lads just laughed at him finished the week and did one.
He contacted them asking for the money for the course and they refused to pay it so he said he was not paying there week in hand or holiday pay, of course it was kicking off by this point until my boss got his soliceter involved to find out where he stood legally.
Basicly my boss was told that the contract wasnt worth the paper it was drawn up on as A - he had to provide adiquate training and B- he may as well wrote the contract on the back of a fag packet it was worthless in the eyes of the law cos he was forcing the chaps to stay or pay for training that he had to provide.
Should of seen his face when the brief explaned all this and then he had to pay the lads there moneys owed which is right.
So i think you should be alright there just trying it on

Thanks as the company have with held holiday pay owed to me aswell.

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Yes apprenticeship was svq so jst reAly a Scottish nvq.

& people question why companies arnt putting guys through the system. Its no wonder when you pay for the course, food &:accom,transport & wages for the duration & once the guys get their ticket they fvck off & dont wanna honour their part of the deal that was struck to put em through it

Southern poofywr I was gonna stay and has no intention of leaving but wasn't getting enough work to earn a wage. Iv got a family to support. I worked for the company for 4 years before they put me on apprenticeship

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

Plus there was no accomadarion or food yes wages but I worked like a dog for this company and happily worked 7 days a week when try had enough work

Not ness aimed at you i fully understand your situation was commenting on cozzys post but for some reason the quotes didnt copy in & was personally commenting on the same scenario that ive had where ive put guys through who have left shortly afterwards not giving us the chance to recoup the cost that we'd invested in sending them off in the 1st place( just a pet hate of mine)

Sounds like youre one of the better employers out there Spoof , a can remember one of the big mobs havin the view that because they paid for the card it was theirs and refusing to let a worker leave. Got a feeling a know this **** firm , struan , think they were hiring recently

my how this story come close to home fukem marra sounds like another patons. the way i look at it is you worked as a lab for pritty much feck all for 2 3 4 years you have already invested your self in the frim and when goign threw the courses they are then paying you a little bit back, the wages they paid were nonsens but ya out on a limp up ther ebut seen recently they having agency lads back in mo more than there own lads again and they wonder why no **** wants to work for them. i had to sign a contract that i wouldnt leave with in 2 years but i left it till after xmas got my holiday pay dont the 2 days took wensday off got piad thursday and then told them the score bdcause i knew ad get knocked but as it happend only got knocked 2 days wages

struan unfortunately the company as a moral and legal right to claim back any expenses occurred on your behalf for training if you was on the books you don't have a leg to stand on you was under a training contract and I can bet your bottom dollar the company who trained you will have covered their arse other wise they would not be chasing you and the last thing you want is for it to go to court.
If it goes to court and the court rules your in default of your training contract not only will you have to find the course fees but also the solicitors fees when you have finished all your training your contract would have been extended for a further 18 to 24 months and if you leave during that period you are in breech of your training contract like southernpoofter said why do think he wont put anyone through their tickets because they leave having used the company for your own gain and under your employment act and the companies your company is in the right by law you can phone c.a.b and they will tell you what I am telling you your on a loser struan I know I was citb registered and I think you will find all the information you need under the naci agreement for employment act for training what you should have done is get the sack for gross misconduct and this forfeits all contract legal terms and conditions and are not liable for any training course fees all I can say mate your fecked

Seek solicitors advice ASAP remember this is a scaffolders forum

Trust me scaffolders have the best all round knowledge of all my friend, 100% certain I could ask ANY question and get some good advice.... Just look at some of the pukka answers on this thread;)

National Joint Council for the Engineering Construction Industry (NJC)
The naeci agreement has feck all to do with it

UK Employment Law - Recovery of training fees

^^^^^worth reading^^^^^^^^^^^

Has I said I have spoken with human resources and it is not possible for an employer to make you pay back for a NVQ. Also any contract you signed should be separate from your employment contract and should also have had a copy of a training request form attached showing the full costs of the courses you were signing for. In addition to the above if you were to pay anything back it should be on a sliding scale and not the full amount

Oh and just to add your did your contract of employment guarantee you work up until the time you were expected to stay

Last edited:
Once is training as finished ds I would presume his contract was extended then the sliding scale starts to reduce by the month and the costs start to depreciate I can only speak as a former employer ds and it all depends on his contract and looking outside in I would say this company are in the right to claim back any expenses occurred during training even if his training grants was subsidised by citb they can still claim back the pay for being on a course digs and travel and if his course was 75% grant and 25% employer they can claim this back as well it all depends what was in his contract their is an employment law that covers employers for this and we all know the scenario get my tickets then fek off this act for employers is still valid to this day to protect them of things like this and reading stuans thread ds if they was that bad to work for why did he stay there so long my prognosis get my tickets and do one

Once is training as finished ds I would presume his contract was extended then the sliding scale starts to reduce by the month and the costs start to depreciate I can only speak as a former employer ds and it all depends on his contract and looking outside in I would say this company are in the right to claim back any expenses occurred during training even if his training grants was subsidised by citb they can still claim back the pay for being on a course digs and travel and if his course was 75% grant and 25% employer they can claim this back as well it all depends what was in his contract their is an employment law that covers employers for this and we all know the scenario get my tickets then fek off this act for employers is still valid to this day to protect them of things like this and reading stuans thread ds if they was that bad to work for why did he stay there so long my prognosis get my tickets and do one

I just wondered what the naeci agreement had to do with it steelcity . Don't get me wrong there are always two sides to a story and there are moral implications on both sides. I would say that if the company have invested in training for an employee then they are looking at a long time future for him within the company, on the other hand if the employee has a change of circumstances then it may be he needs to move on. What I would say is don't burn your bridges , negotiate a fair settlement with your former employer and move on.

PS

Steelcity what's your company , I'm only over the border in chezvegas

No longer trade anymore but under this agreement on pay structure and training programme this is pro rata for employers and employees basically its was put in place to protect employers an employees all the information is available on there web site for pay structures and training programmes and the rights for employers and employees during any training and iam almost sure this still carries weight in civil and engineering contracts it all depends on what his employment contract with this company like I said it looks like this company as covered all aspects of his employment contract or they wouldn't be chasing him in my previous thread he would have been better getting the sack for gross misconduct and this cancels all responsibility's to his training programme

The naeci agreement is an agreement between employers and the unions (GMB & ECIA) usually on major engineering projects power stations , refineries etc etc . Not very often you will find a scaffold company signed upto the agreement unless they are on one of these projects.
National Joint Council for the Engineering Construction Industry (NJC)

See link

PS

Steelcity scaffolding by any chance

no live in Cambridgeshire and have done for 14 years now but I know of steelcity access

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

If struans employer has a signed employment contract the company as a legal right to claim back training expense on the sliding scale as percentage per month in the employment law this is known as CLAW BACK for breech of contract,

Top Bottom