Fall protection/prevention

nice to see you back rag scaff. hh i h8 carying gear with tools and harness on really grinds my gears like not so much the belt but the harness reet pet h8 of mine marra

How do you do metre lifts in tube & fitting when all lifts are boarded without spending half your time striking out what you just put in? It's fine with some systems it's just a case of knocking the transom back out.

Havespanner, You Have To Wear A Harness At All Times Mate, Never Mind The Meter Lift You Must Wear A Harness.

That's not correct mate. If 1 metre lifts are erected correctly you have implemented fall prevention. If proper fall prevention is in place then fall protection is not required. You would only need to wear fall protection if you went to do a cantilever etc I appreciate that some companies insist that scaffolders wear harnesses at all times even on the ground but that is their own policy nothing to do with work at height regs

---------- Post added at 06:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 AM ----------

How do you do metre lifts in tube & fitting when all lifts are boarded without spending half your time striking out what you just put in? It's fine with some systems it's just a case of knocking the transom back out.

You just take the transoms out leaving the extra ledgers and h/r in. Pretty similar to how we used to do dummy lifts for 10 foot lifts years ago. The Aussies seem to have mastered doing 1 metre lifts in t&f

---------- Post added at 06:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 AM ----------

while off shore when on the deck myself and most other Scaffolders dont wear a Harness this was challenged by the SAFETY EXPERTS.We did not back down and stated that as we were on the ground and carrying the gear IT WOULD DAMAGE THE INTEGRITY OF THE PPE WHICH COULD CAUSE US TO BREAK A GOLDEN RULE OF THE OIL COMPANY
The end result was due to the fact that it made sense and the GOLDEN RULES could be broke they shat it or seen sense you decide;)

They saw sense HH. If you don't leave the deck what use is a harness? If you hook on below 6 m with a 1.8 m shock absorber lanyard you haven't bothered to follow the instructions written on that piece of life saving safety equipment. If you use an inertia reel and don't attach it to something that has the appropriate strength or you use it at the wrong angle then you have again failed to use it correctly.

---------- Post added at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 AM ----------

Ask the SCCR board they are going to change the way the industry works, swiftly is your best bet he's a supervisor although he didn't seem to realise TG 20 isn't a safety document , not sure what he supervisors

You may have personal issues with the late lamented SCCR double standards but I am sure forum members would appreciate some constructive comments from a health and safety professional who still has to work weekends on the tools. You having some sort of scaffolding experience as well as having done a safety course are best placed to offer an educated opinion on this complex and confusing subject.

Come on ds, knowledge not knockin needed here ;), uneven ground for the step to be placed on is a great shout for running over it in the wagon,

Roses are not a problem as any decent scaff has a frog with pruning shears :D

We simply tell people not to fall off, it seems to work no one has fallen off. This common sense approach has its detractors though i.e. the HSE and shiny new safety officers with a two day scaffold inspection certificate. They obviously know best

We also use the step things and various other methods of collective fall protection. I like the common sense thing though the best, and you don't need a register to keep notes about it in or inspections.

I should just point out that we also wear harnesses before everybody condemns me as being some kind of heretic for trying to have a laugh at the expense of "Safety"

Last edited:
We simply tell people not to fall off, it seems to work no one has fallen off. This common sense approach has its detractors though i.e. the HSE and shiny new safety officers with a two day scaffold inspection certificate. They obviously know best

We also use the step things and various other methods of collective fall protection. I like the common sense thing though the best, and you don't need a register to keep notes about it in or inspections.

I should just point out that we also wear harnesses before everybody condemns me as being some kind of heretic for trying to have a laugh at the expense of "Safety"

Not sure that common sense is allowed to be used in these enlightened times dangerus.

Two "ss" in Dangeruss, I thought you knew that.

What's happened to the SCCR then ?

Enlighten me, I only come on the forum once in a blue moon to catch up. Does that mean this "sccr" back tattoo i've just had has been a painful waste of time ?

Not completely , theres a new outfit in town called the scaffold association so you could get it covered. The shiney membership card needs returning though :D

good for chopping up coke , but little else, that's what I heard

Enlighten me, I only come on the forum once in a blue moon to catch up. Does that mean this "sccr" back tattoo i've just had has been a painful waste of time ?

There may be a way out dangerus. If the tattooist is a bit handy get him to change the 2 C's to O's, then get him to change the R to a T. Simply add a Y on the end, get him to tattoo a small bear like glove puppet below it and job done. SOOTY

There may be a way out dangerus. If the tattooist is a bit handy get him to change the 2 C's to O's, then get him to change the R to a T. Simply add a Y on the end, get him to tattoo a small bear like glove puppet below it and job done. SOOTY
Good call, I hadn't though of that, that's why your management material with quick thinking like that. Ever thought of joining that new upcoming organisation called the Scaffolding association ?

Top Bottom