Fall protection/prevention

Reaction score
Consultant Scaffolding Manager AG&P Philippines
Just wondering what you lads in the UK are doing regarding fall protection in the lower levels?
Obviously harness manufacturers say the shock absorder lanyard is only effective if deployed at 6 metres.
How are you doing the first couple of lifts? Anyone using the 1 metre lift method or do safety just turn a blind eye to people using shock absorbers when at 2 metre height as long as they are hooked on?
This is a question for those on proper jobs not your street merchants.;)

should you not be using the scaff step/1 meter method regardless of height and all ways clipped on when on the step ;)

Doesnt the latest version of SG 4 still allow the tunnelling method?

tunneling method???? all we got rilled in to us was scaff step but b4 that was obvusly can walk the lenght of your longest componant ie 20ft with out bene clipped on to put hand rail in and what have you but since then the new tg sg came otu and its scaff step i believe

Your bang on, the theory and the practice are totally different, been thrown off two sites for refusing to clip on on the first lift, safety bloke didn't even mention the step just obsessed about clipping on.

Yet plumbers joiners sparks and the lowest of the low bricklayers, spit, can all work off ladders without hinderence, dont say they cant cos they do ;)

Rant over, wheres aom has he been murdered by the scots ?

Were on a job for galliford try, and we have to put a tube in on a base lift to install our handrail off the steps. Nothing is said about using our shock aborber lanyards, more the fact we wear a harness.

Yes the health and safety professionals seem more concerned that people are hooked on at low level than the actual outcome if they fell from low level hooked on with a shock absorber lanyard.
No doubt double standards will be able to tell us what he does when he is on the tools every weekend.

The sliding handrail method keeps you within SG4:10 no extra kit required. But it needs to be in your RAMS. I doubt if they allow DS off the floor.

We use tis method swifty in conjunction with barracudas fod the 1st man up

The sliding handrail method keeps you within SG4:10 no extra kit required. But it needs to be in your RAMS. I doubt if they allow DS off the floor.

Excuse my ignorance but do you mean a sliding handrail as used to be done on loading bay's years ago?
It's 100% tie off here so the SG 4 thing of not having to hook on once h/r and boards are in place doesn't apply.
Are they quite happy to let you hook on at say 2m with a shock absorber even though it is useless if you fell?

they insist your clipped on regardles worked on some sites and the demand you clip on until you have a doubble hand rail in place fair enought it was on a shut down next to sellafeild but still. i was under the impression it was 4 m or above but supose if falling from 2 meter the force i would take to snap it open will lift you head above your feet b4 you hit the ground any how but still dont agree with clipping on below manufactures quidleines but elf an saftey wont have it. worked on some site with the scaffs wlaking about with just a harness no landyard jacket over the job of the harness and they were happy need more of that type about and this was on the uk no1 developer .....storys site

Its All Sg4:10 Now Havespanner, Its A Pain In The Arse, I Know Its All Safety And All That, But Imagine Taking Everything You Were Taught To Do While Erecting A Scaffold And Throwing It All In The Bin. And That Is What They Are Trying To Do, Sometimes The Safety People Have Too Much Say.

And its them feckers that are destroying the industry. These peopl come out of uni never stepped foot on a site before and go thats how you do it, no ifs, buts or maybes. Perhaps if they put a set of spanners on and get told right, theres so much x footage that needs to be done today to earn your money, i wounder how many would either jack it or start cutting corners???.

Havespanner, You Have To Wear A Harness At All Times Mate, Never Mind The Meter Lift You Must Wear A Harness.

Just wondering what you lads in the UK are doing regarding fall protection in the lower levels?
Obviously harness manufacturers say the shock absorder lanyard is only effective if deployed at 6 metres.
How are you doing the first couple of lifts? Anyone using the 1 metre lift method or do safety just turn a blind eye to people using shock absorbers when at 2 metre height as long as they are hooked on?
This is a question for those on proper jobs not your street merchants.;)

Ask the SCCR board they are going to change the way the industry works, swiftly is your best bet he's a supervisor although he didn't seem to realise TG 20 isn't a safety document , not sure what he supervisors

HSWT, so-called Safety afficianados will not listen to rhyme, nor reason with regards to lanyard deployment. I've had it out the best of them and they are all, to a man, stumped when you tell them that the lanyard is rendered useless at such low heights. They usually just tell you that they're right as their company handbook tells them so. Bawbags!

Stonedrose, I Am Fed Up To The Back Teeth Arguing With These Tosspots, Im Working For The Worst Company In The World right Now (Stewart Milne ) Its Either There Way Or The Highway, Fekking Joob Joobs.

We have in our Method Statement that we will work to SG4 10 & when not possible will revert back to SG4 05.

This has been passed through HSE & the powers behind the SG guidance.

You have to prove that you have planned the work.

Nice to see Ian is now on the case of the SCCR.

This is one of the areas we worked on & made a change.

The sliding rail was something we had put into SG4 10.

If you read it closely there is a 1 metre exclusion to the open edge so you could walk on the inside board without clipping on then when you get to your point of fixing the next double for the handrail then clip to the nearest inside standard & move out fix the double & repeat at the area the handrail breaks.

Try fitting advanced handrails & using a step when you base out round a bay window in a garden full of roses!!

Ragscaff

while off shore when on the deck myself and most other Scaffolders dont wear a Harness this was challenged by the SAFETY EXPERTS.We did not back down and stated that as we were on the ground and carrying the gear IT WOULD DAMAGE THE INTEGRITY OF THE PPE WHICH COULD CAUSE US TO BREAK A GOLDEN RULE OF THE OIL COMPANY
The end result was due to the fact that it made sense and the GOLDEN RULES could be broke they shat it or seen sense you decide;)

Top Bottom