doubles

I agree with Phillo, a guardrail is just for that, a means to stop someone from falling. An average man it is stated weights 80 kg, so the figure of 250kg stated by Isitjell would reguire 3 men to fall against the guardrail at the same time, a possibility I admit, but onlly a possibility. As I have posted previously the method shown on the link is not new, it has been in use for years, We were shown how to do this by a previous generation of scaffolders, I would like to see evidence of a fall where there was a guardrail in place. It seems to me that the people who do and know how to do the job are been overruled by this new breed of consultants and such like. I can see now why there is definitely a need for a body such as the SCCR.

calculated by designer

So how much side impact must a handrail be capable of withstanding then to conform
isitjell ?

I couldn't tell you it's got to be calculated by a designer. I suppose, you may be able to have a generic drawings that could be used for similar buildings / structures. There's more and more changes being introduces little by little. I sympathise with you lads on the spanners now, you have to put more and more gear into a job without getting any extra for it.. I've heard of some sub-contractors that ask for the price / quote for the job to be done the safe way, that's the price they put to the client, and a price without and thats what you get paid.

next it will be double handrails,ie,one infront of the other.giving a safety barrier to a safety barrier.PATHETIC.

quite simple mate if am not getting paid for what i do im certinly not doing it job or no job,if its in the job its in the time sheet.

next it will be double handrails,ie,one infront of the other.giving a safety barrier to a safety barrier.PATHETIC.
Is that not the scaffolders step - collective fall prevention over PPE, putting the handrail in before you get up there.

ISITJELL, I think your splitting hairs, or taking the piss, but whatever, good thread.

isitjell,theres me thinking we were on about handrails between girders,i was meaning we would put an handrail on the girders,then we would put an handrail behind the other one so we cant fall over the first one.sarcarstic or what.you seem to be going the wrong way .:D

not taking pish

I'm not taking the piss or splitting hair, just trying to give you some info that could save you cash, because that the first thing the HSE will do, hit you in the pocket. I’ve been reading a lot of posts on here and have seen SCCR mentioned a number of times. It appears that a lot of members have some very strong views, with regard to forming an organisation with a voice for scaffolders, which you have done for the people that actually do the work, the men at the sharp end, which I think is a good idea. It appears from what I have read that the Scaffolders Forum have made big strides in meeting / achieving this goal. It appears to have been one way traffic, for a long time, with regard to being told what to do.
I know there are other bodies / organisations run by the training companies, for example. I think they’re called ASITO and they have members or representatives on a number of committees within NASC and the CITB so can influence a lot of policies and the decision making process that governs this industry.
So, if ASITO can have a bearing on the rules and regulations in this industry, I think you are right to make an effort to influence decisions that have a massive impact on your livelihood. But you must understand that your suggestions have to be rational, sensible and logical or your voice will be ignored. I am new to the site and still doing a bit of research, so, can someone answer a couple of questions please. I’m not sure if I’ve got the wrong end of the stick, but is SCCR trying to set up in opposition to the NASC or do you just want to have some influence in decision making process?

isitjell iam not sure what your point is here ? you started out worrying about handrails falling over now your trying to question the SCCR , suggest you talk to the administrators of the SCCR and they can inform you of exactly what there goals are :)

sccr??is all about a voice for the aftermentioned isitjell which you have mentioned,what its all about is in the title CONSULTATION.to have a rational reasonable input into the ways and means of the guidence notes affecting us ie sg4 sg.10,as stewart and paddy steve aom have been banging on about for so long,as these guidence notes affect us more than anybody then we should have an input that could make significant diffrence to the way we work day in day out.a movement for the betterment of scaffolders as a whole,that in no way is set up to challenge the nasc,but to work along side it to improve our everyday task of scaffolding.

Doubles,a doubles a double no matter what way it goes,or that's what I got told on my Advanced course.Though that was over 25years ago!!Maybe they should print this way up on them like they have"must be used in pairs" on some girder clamps.

Doubles,a doubles a double no matter what way it goes,or that's what I got told on my Advanced course.Though that was over 25years ago!!Maybe they should print this way up on them like they have"must be used in pairs" on some girder clamps.

hmmm well ive been going 23 years 1969scaff and ive been taught ups up and downs down depending on what job your building ive done jobs on stations
in the passed and unless youve built the jobs its difficult exspecially if its been modified by different gangs and the fittings are not the right way to see whats holding what up its only the exsperience that youve learnt that shows you whats what but like you say 1969 scaff that was 25 years ago its okay
untill some flash harry comes along and undoes the wrong fitting not every one has the exsperience.

en12811-1:2003

'Any principle guardrail and intermediate guardrail, regardless of its method of support, shall be capable of resisting a point load of 1.25kN.'

'All components of the side protection, except toeboards, shall be designed to resist a horizontal load of 0.3kN...'

In all the 26 years ive been in the game ive always treated the double as the bolt being the weakist point and the arm being the strongest,so depending what type job your doing ,ie:independent ,drop , support,this would determine which way the double would go ''always with the arm taking the strain ''not the bolt,

Who remembers them dodgy fittings made by "Cotton" they where like 2 half swivels tack welded together seen them break after being dropped 15 foot. I always liked the little giant doubles as they are great for working on steel erected jobs

Who remembers them dodgy fittings made by "Cotton" they where like 2 half swivels tack welded together seen them break after being dropped 15 foot. I always liked the little giant doubles as they are great for working on steel erected jobs

totally agree about little giants phillio, however i loved the doubles marked PHD, 1/4 turn and these babys were wrapped, spot on.

has anybody came across the " ****** lip " Double ( sincere apologies for the nick name for the double, but that was the name they gave them---when you were dismantling and unwraped the bolt the Gate used to drop vertical, it was bad enough on a ledger but feckin big shock if they were on a dropper :eek: cant remember who manufactured :embarrest: then,but they were drop forged :wondering:

cotton was crap u are correct , just like the stretched singles

Scaffy

Its harder to get quantities for decent fittings lately---Im sourcing older drop forge and sprung steel from auctions and second ex-stock---once they are serviced they'r very servicable---dont like this imports, pure sh!t Man :cry:

Top Bottom