Does Old School Really Exist?

aom Thought you might be able to help me,It came on when I copied and pasted the old post :eek:

might be an internal thing with the Board :)

Sorry Rigger, all's I hear is blah blah blah. I had the same problem at school.:embarrest:

Rigger that was spot on,dont no about your area where you live , before the introduction of the citb,like i have stated before ,in the n/east you where either in the CEU or TGW, mostly around the middlesbrough area it was CEU,lots of black trade work started in the sixties ,ICI/seal sands late sixties/oil rig and ship building work ,like you say you started in squads,and you progressed through YOUR (TOP HAND)it was up to him if you moved on ,CEU had a grading system, labourer,trainee/top hand,to get anywhere in the industry you had to graft ,to progress ,not like today work a couple of months go to a training school come back with a card ,work a few more months go again come back with even a bigger card,i have mates in there sixties who through what ever reasons the never progressed through to advanced ,some because the companies wouldnt put them through others through shear stubborness,any big job started they where allways the first that got a call ,but the irony of it all the companies put young guys with advanced cards working with them knowing full well the job was going to be done correct only out of shear pride,the moral is all the cards in the world will notmake you a better tradesman regardless of what trade they where in,like you say the only learning curve is experience.(LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR BOOK)

Thanks Denbo we are not extinct yet, but high on the endangered list :sad2:

I was in both Unions,the "TGWU" and the "AUEW" The same as today some sectors only accepted certain "cards"

We seemed to get on OK before the CITB stuck it's nose in But they tell me it is progres :confused:

Thanks Denbo we are not extinct yet, but high on the endangered list :sad2:

This is one of the rare National Geographic pictures of an 'Old School' Scaffolders gathering.

hillbillies.JPG

Picture taken by: Peg-leg Pete.
Date: 14th September 1974.

:laugh:

These lads took the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in the

"Best Looking Scaffolder 1974"

Unlike these lads some of the entrants were real mingers :amazed:

Always well dressed in the old days Fred ;)

Even the Irish labourers came to work in suits, worked in them all week bought a new one Friday for the week end, Days of the 50/- (shilling) tailor

Remember them days well Rigger. I was plastering before taking up the spanners,as you said,the old boys use to come to work in a shirt and tie, use to tie bits of plaster bags round their shoes and wear a white apron.

Top Bottom