Dodgy Job?

Icarus

Reaction score
Hi, I took on a job of painting a large domestic house and was promised a cherry picker to finish the high areas. Needless to say the picker never materialized and the punters provided a local builder to supply and erect a work platform.

He scaffolded off 3 areas with two 2x3 & one 3x3 units of scaffold at around 6 meters in height which are tied off by being roped to cast iron stacks or pipe, fixed in with 2” rusted screws, no doubt. There are no outriggers and the scaffold on the grass lack mudsills. The boards are not butted but overlap in the middle of the work area so that the elongated boards don’t overhang – Lovely little trip hazard. There is no guardrail on the wall facing side and a gap from the scaffold edge to wall of 400mm on each scaffold. These contraptions are 4 boards wide. Oh, the builder isn’t known to CISRS either.

Even at 6m I would have to use a 5m extension pole and roller, so all a bit of a nonsense in this day and age.

I have raised my concerns with the punters and requested a proper platform is erected under the supervision of a competent person or have sight of the current builder’s certs.

The builder feigned indignation but failed to provide any evidence of competency and these punters really just don’t ‘get things’. The builder has, not surprisingly, offered to get someone to do the work and will no doubt supply some poor halfwit who doesn’t appreciate the dangers. Whilst I will have the punter trying to bump me on their perception that I took on a job that I could not finish when in fact they supplied equipment that breaches Working at Height Regs 2005.

Of course I could just be being a big fairy and should consider abseiling down the building with paintbrush between my teeth every morning?

I’m in the far north of Scotland and may as well be in outer Mongola. The chance of a building inspector falling over this site is remote so I’m really wondering if I’m just being a moaning ninny or have a right to feel concerned?

Thanks for any thoughts, pointers, advice or help.

Welcome Icarus tell the builder to get you proper scaffolding or go fu ck himself , you aint no good to no one if you fall of and break your back or worse

Welcome,firstly i think you may be right to be concerned,a job with no soul pads,on grass and tied to a couple of drainpipes is an accident waiting to happen,and no certified scaffolder would leave a job like that,having said that,would you not be better asking for the gaps to be closed on the handrail and a buttress putting up,so the job cant fall down,with another lift put on it,and tell him your going to get it inspected before use by an independent scaffold company,that way he at least gets the chance of rectifying it;)

And please dont tell us this guy turned up on a feckin jetski:p:laugh::laugh:

We know your out there:D

Honestly mate you can't polish a turd,the question you should be asking mate is do I trust this man to rectify it!

Honestly mate you can't polish a turd,the question you should be asking mate is do I trust this man to rectify it!

Hence the independent inspection joe,there's no exscuse for a trained scaff to put a complete bag of sh*te up,but i do think it would be better to give him the chance to fix it and then dont use him again,i take it were talking tube n fitt here,and not that zip tower sh*t lol

I think you already know the answer Icarus

That I do SWIFTY. I just need concrete stuff to prevent the old "you took on a job you couldn't finish" bull.

Welcome Icarus tell the builder to get you proper scaffolding or go fu ck himself , you aint no good to no one if you fall of and break your back or worse

My understanding from NASC is that he has to hold a CISRS card, is this correct?

Welcome,firstly i think you may be right to be concerned,a job with no soul pads,on grass and tied to a couple of drainpipes is an accident waiting to happen,and no certified scaffolder would leave a job like that,having said that,would you not be better asking for the gaps to be closed on the handrail and a buttress putting up,so the job cant fall down,with another lift put on it,and tell him your going to get it inspected before use by an independent scaffold company,that way he at least gets the chance of rectifying it;)

I'm not convinced he is competent but in an ideal world that would be the way forward.

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Not on the basis of his current work.

Hence the independent inspection joe,there's no exscuse for a trained scaff to put a complete bag of sh*te up,but i do think it would be better to give him the chance to fix it and then dont use him again,i take it were talking tube n fitt here,and not that zip tower sh*t lol

The stuff that slots together and is fastened off with a screw type ring, that's the best way I can describe it :/

And please dont tell us this guy turned up on a feckin jetski:p:laugh::laugh:

We know your out there:D

Jetskiers, ya gotta hate them. Would you be the same bigfish from Anglers Net and WSF many moons ago?

Jetskiers, ya gotta hate them. Would you be the same bigfish from Anglers Net and WSF many moons ago?

Them jetskiers get right up your nose,with yamaha this and turbo that,lol,a bit of a in forum joke that one pal...........no mate,in answer to your question,i suspect "bigfish" is a common username on fishing forums though;)

Them jetskiers get right up your nose,with yamaha this and turbo that,lol,a bit of a in forum joke that one pal...........no mate,in answer to your question,i suspect "bigfish" is a common username on fishing forums though;)

Yer, I thought that Penn International was a bit too posh for the bigfish I remember. Jetskiers are a bit of a universal joke really :amuse:

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

... and tied to a couple of drainpipes is an accident waiting to happen...

Caste Iron is very brittle and a rope snagging would shatter it even if the fixings were to hold :wondering:

So is he gonna pay you or you gonna turn him into a lollipop with a 21' tube?

So is he gonna pay you or you gonna turn him into a lollipop with a 21' tube?

I would suggest he pays me for the work done plus an extra uplift based on the failure to provide the proper equipment, as promised to complete the job. Seems fair to me :D

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

"24 hours ago I knew naff all about scaffolding, now I plan to raise a 21' Lollipop, should I take a course on this?

I feel sorry for these poor safety officers. They have left the armed forces, university, the prison service etc with a Nebosh certificate and then are thrown into a vipers den. They are just trying to make sure everyone goes home safely. Maybe its time the scaffs gave them a big cuddle and spent some time showing them how difficult a job it can be to follow the safety guidelines all the time?

Fair comment Fred,tho,is it a case of picking holes in an industry they dont really understand?

Top Bottom