Distance you can go off a tube to hang an upright with Safeway beam clamps?

Headrush907

Reaction score
I'm at work and I am getting **** from my boss about how I hung a scaffold. I beam clamped top and bottom of beam and at the farthest went out 22 inches catching both tubes. Does anyone have a spec sheet or know where I can find one to show him he doesn't know what he's talking about.

i was alway under the impresion you could shoot out 8ft with them but probbly rong tell him if he wants it done diffrently he knows what he can do that shuts them up marra ;)

Have to admit, never even seen a safeway beam clamp let alone used one but the older one's I am used to working with depended on who you were working for as to their use. RBG stated 9 inch from the steel as maximum but GB reckoned zero was the way to go and we did it whatever way it was on any particular firm.

Not sure about the 8 feet marra, these safeway things must either be magic or made for Benny Flynn.:worried:

As far as I can tell Alan it's the same as any other, might have different properties but it can't be that different.

may have got wire corssed with this 1 but have always been told by charge hands that if you were sailing a beam out pver say a road you could to a maximum of 8ft weather he ment including been raked back up i have no idea how far can you sail out a beam surely iits more than 22 inch as you can sail normall tube out 2 boards wide so 18 inch beam shurly should be way more than that ?

Maybe it was me who got his wires crossed as when he said a beam I took it he meant a structure built from steel using girders, I could have been very wrong though but I don't think so or his gaffer would not have given him a hard time for going 22 inch.

I think your boss does know what he’s talking about, the furthest you can hang from the node point on a tube is 250/300mm, and of course you have to calculate what weight will be hung from that point, you’re talking about beams caught with beam clamps top and bottom,(are these structural beams)and later you put a tube on top and one on the bottom and then dropped your hanger to the furthest point at 22 inches ?

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

may have got wire corssed with this 1 but have always been told by charge hands that if you were sailing a beam out pver say a road you could to a maximum of 8ft weather he ment including been raked back up i have no idea how far can you sail out a beam surely iits more than 22 inch as you can sail normall tube out 2 boards wide so 18 inch beam shurly should be way more than that ?

(Distance you can go off a tube to hang an upright with Safeway beam clamps? )From what I can gather, he has strapped a tube top and bottom of steel structural beam, and went out 22in off the 2 tubes and hung his hanger; if this is what he is talking about his boss is correct.

If the gaffer was that good Johnny he would have given the fella a drawing.

I think your boss does know what he’s talking about, the furthest you can hang from the node point on a tube is 250/300mm, and of course you have to calculate what weight will be hung from that point, you’re talking about beams caught with beam clamps top and bottom,(are these structural beams)and later you put a tube on top and one on the bottom and then dropped your hanger to the furthest point at 22 inches ?

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

(Distance you can go off a tube to hang an upright with Safeway beam clamps? )From what I can gather, he has strapped a tube top and bottom of steel structural beam, and went out 22in off the 2 tubes and hung his hanger; if this is what he is talking about his boss is correct.

with you now rather than it been from and alloy beam well yeah of course its 300mm :noworry:

so what distand can you over sail a beam any 1 got any ideas

Old school is 9 inch marra but before the days of every job being designed most firms had their own distance, now it's all by the drawing but 9 inch would be a good guide for me still.

If the gaffer was that good Johnny he would have given the fella a drawing.

Yes you are correct, but common knowledge will tell you that you can’t hang a tube from the node point 22in,and if you don’t know that without your gaffer telling you, you should not be building suspended scaffolds

Not too sure I totally agree with that Johnny. If you read my posts I was saying 9 inch but that is the sort of knowledge that is slowly dripping out the game with all this drawings for everything. I know these jobs were always meant to have a drawing but offshore they were always done after the event if at all.

Not too sure I totally agree with that Johnny. If you read my posts I was saying 9 inch but that is the sort of knowledge that is slowly dripping out the game with all this drawings for everything. I know these jobs were always meant to have a drawing but offshore they were always done after the event if at all.

you can also look at it in another respective, you can kick it off at 22 inch to get you started and support it on the bottom else were, the guy that posted the thread has not clearly stated what he is talking about, or he could have pulled it back to steel up above before he got on his hanger to build is square, who knows we could talk all day

We could, my only point is we are taking the importance of problem solving away from the scaffs then we are moaning when they don't know. I have no idea how old this guy is but I would hazard a guess at fairly young, the gaffer can moan all he likes but a drawing should have been produced as common knowledge is now more than ever not so common.

Top Bottom