Debris netting

Agree mate.

TG20:08 is theoretically a design in itself, its giving you perameters you can work to but cant exceed, so if its endorsed to a current stage maybe there is scope to push the boundaries a little wider with the next?

dunno mate, alot cleverer people outthere than me!

You are correct again Bri, TG20 is a rewrite of 5973 with European requirements built in. It is in fact your book of standard designs!
Having said that all the old stuff you have been doing for 50 years all falls under custom and pratice, that is all gone now.
I am sure it is all intended to be for the best but the UK were too weak in the introduction of EN12811 and this is the outcome.
I can tell you that I have traveled extensivley around the world in the pursuit of knowledge in this industry and the most apparent thing is that we are the only people in Europe working to anything like this code.
Stay well Alan

You are correct again Bri, TG20 is a rewrite of 5973 with European requirements built in. It is in fact your book of standard designs!
Having said that all the old stuff you have been doing for 50 years all falls under custom and pratice, that is all gone now.
I am sure it is all intended to be for the best but the UK were too weak in the introduction of EN12811 and this is the outcome.
I can tell you that I have traveled extensivley around the world in the pursuit of knowledge in this industry and the most apparent thing is that we are the only people in Europe working to anything like this code.
Stay well Alan

Too true Alan!

This country needs to build its way back to a decent standing, although i agree with most Health and Safety it proves in alot of cases a hinderance.

As scaffolders we were the problem solvers, how do you get to that area and off we would go, the majority of this especially in the big boys companies is being taken out and we are not allowed to think for ourselves.

If a put up a scaffold thats tied every 16m2, test reports in place and guard rails at the correct height and platforms that are of the correct size aqnd distance from the roof edge there shouldnt be a problem!

but the question will always remain is it done to best practice cos we (P.C.) need to cover our arses!

I don't know how we find ourselves in this position to be honest. When I started in scaffolding the company logo read "The originators of tubular scaffolding" yet here we are taking instruction from ze germans LOL

ha ha i think im gonna set up a company and the motto can be 'volenti non fit injuria'

A good company motto is: 'We do everything poorly, but we give great backhanders'.

I hope to win ALOT of work, using that motto, lol.

Another reason to go on the outside

Pair fined £13k for scaffolding collapse | Construction News | The Construction Index

Partners in a company that erected unsafe scaffolding, which crashed to the ground in strong winds, have been fined a total of £13,000.

It is the second fine this week for a scaffolding collapse, following the £9,000 fine imposed on a Nottinghamshire contractor.

In the latest case, Terrence Foster, of Scaffolding Systems South West, was fined £8,000 and his partner in the business, Shaun Greenslade, was fined £5,000. Both were ordered to pay costs of £2,040 each in the case brought by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) at Exeter Magistrates.

A large section of scaffolding erected by the firm at a builders' merchants on 25 March 2009 fell away from the building, seriously damaging a number of parked cars. The scaffolding had been erected to allow re-roofing to take place at the premises on an Exeter trading estate.

HSE inspectors told the court that netting had been fixed to the scaffolding but extended almost 1.5m above the roof of the building. The netting was attached to the inside edge of the scaffold instead of the outside and acted as a sail to the prevailing wind causing the scaffolding to collapse.

The investigation also found there were inadequate stability measures on the scaffold to withstand foreseeable wind speeds, such as scaffolding ties.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE Inspector, Andrew Kingscott, said: "The degree of risk and danger to workers and the public was considerable. The standard of the scaffold as installed fell far short of the appropriate level. This incident could easily have led to human tragedy and should act as a wake-up call to scaffolders to carry their work out to industry standards.

Shaun Greenslade, trading as Scaffolding Systems South West Ltd of Warwick Road, Heavitree, Exeter, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 28(2) of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007.

Terry Foster, also trading as Scaffolding Systems South West Ltd, pleaded guilty to a breach of the same regulation.

In an ideal world EVERY job, whether it be small (fans) or large (gantry) should have some kind of protection for the general public or those working below you.

But its a matter of money, as usual and money is the tune that so-called Health and Safety is played to.

Sheeting/Netting is a fer cheaper alternative to having to pay many £1000's more, for extra Scaffolding.
Not saying its right, but its cheaper.

---------- Post added at 06:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 AM ----------

No one calls them 'Protection Platforms'.

We call them 'protection platforms' or 'protection decks'.

As was Alan's point, we don't like to use the term 'crash deck' as it can be taken to mean that we have allowed for the scaffold to take large dynamic loads.

No they dont, you nutter, lol.

Only those Safety folk call them that... and ofcourse those boys from up 't Boro.
They call Scaffolding up there 'Strike Shops' dont they. ;)

Top Bottom