Debris netting

vinny

Reaction score
TG20:08 PAGE 23 4.4.2 - Reccomends that sheeting or cladding is fitted to the outside of scaffold members, and attached to ledgers & principal guardrails as a minimum.

The reccomendation does not give the reason why this is the best way.

Is this so scaffold users more easily see if any guard ails are missing?
Does the attachement to the outside have any bearing on wind forces excerted on the scaffold.

Vinny.

There are old threads about how to fix cladding

But basically the cladding should be fixed to the outside, so that in high winds it can break away and not pull the scaffold over

Vinny, When issuing a quotation for sheeting/netting don't forget to clause in your price is "excluding any maintainance" - this will allow you to cover costs when high wind rip's off the sheeting.

Always on the outside Vinny.
Reason
as you have guessed in high winds the sheeting is designed to breakaway.
Better to have the sheeting off than the sacffold down
regards
Alan

From a design point of view (from Alwyn Richards design appreciation course), provided the scaffold is erected as per TG20 or a specific design, it makes no difference as the scaffold structure and ties are calculated to assume the netting / sheeting will remain fixed even in high winds.

From a practical point of view, there are arguments for both cases - it usually looks neater when fixed to the outside, but I wouldn't pick it up as a H&S issue if it was on the inside.

From a design point of view (from Alwyn Richards design appreciation course), provided the scaffold is erected as per TG20 or a specific design, it makes no difference as the scaffold structure and ties are calculated to assume the netting / sheeting will remain fixed even in high winds.

From a practical point of view, there are arguments for both cases - it usually looks neater when fixed to the outside, but I wouldn't pick it up as a H&S issue if it was on the inside.

behave yourself Mark, your lot only put it on the outside to hide the sins;)

Sheeting on the outside.
Netting on the inside.

Job done. :)

i my view ,, where possible and practicble there should be extended gantries on street works ,, when stripping big jobs , netting dosent provide enough protection

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

i.e crash decks:idea:

the New term for bombing is contorlled decsent usually in an exclusion zone.site agent's love these sort of term's

In general terms Alwyn is correct, from a loading point of view the sheeting is designed to withstand a given known figure as is the scaffold, however, it is the unexpected loading case for instance the gales in 1987 that this rule is intended for.

Scaffolds tend not to fall over when they are within the design load and sheeting tends not to come off when in the same condition.

All that aside the recomendation bt TG:20 4.4.2 item 13 states " When a scaffold is sheeted or covered with debris netting, the covering is attached to the ledgers and the principle guardrails as a minimum, and in accordance with the suppliers instructions. It is recomended that sheeting and netting should be fitted to the outside of the scaffold members."

regards
Alan

---------- Post added at 03:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 AM ----------

i my view ,, where possible and practicble there should be extended gantries on street works ,, when stripping big jobs , netting dosent provide enough protection

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

Morning 21's
"CRASH DECK" whilst widley used, is an unacceptable description in scaffolding. It would imply that it is ok to drop stuff from height onto the scaffold. The correct term for this is "Protection Platform" which implys that the platform is there for protection should something be dropped by accident.

Some years ago I was asked for a crash deck in liverpool docks for the demolition of a chimney stack. When I calculated the weight of a half brick falling from height the scaffold could not be designed to accept the resultant impact forces.
regards
Alan

In an ideal world EVERY job, whether it be small (fans) or large (gantry) should have some kind of protection for the general public or those working below you.

But its a matter of money, as usual and money is the tune that so-called Health and Safety is played to.

Sheeting/Netting is a fer cheaper alternative to having to pay many £1000's more, for extra Scaffolding.
Not saying its right, but its cheaper.

---------- Post added at 06:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 AM ----------

"CRASH DECK" whilst widley used, is an unacceptable description in scaffolding. It would imply that it is ok to drop stuff from height onto the scaffold. The correct term for this is "Protection Platform" which implys that the platform is there for protection should something be dropped by accident.

Some years ago I was asked for a crash deck in liverpool docks for the demolition of a chimney stack. When I calculated the weight of a half brick falling from height the scaffold could not be designed to accept the resultant impact forces.
regards
Alan

No one calls them 'Protection Platforms'.

In an ideal world EVERY job, whether it be small (fans) or large (gantry) should have some kind of protection for the general public or those working below you.

But its a matter of money, as usual and money is the tune that so-called Health and Safety is played to.

Sheeting/Netting is a fer cheaper alternative to having to pay many £1000's more, for extra Scaffolding.
Not saying its right, but its cheaper.

---------- Post added at 06:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 AM ----------

No one calls them 'Protection Platforms'.

but only the inexperianced call them crash decks

but only the inexperianced call them crash decks

That must mean that almost every Site Agent, Contracts Manager, Safety Officer, Advanced Scaffolder, Lorry Driver and 'her in doors' must be inexperienced, lol.

Might as well say that everyone who calls and Single Coupler; a Clip is also inexperienced?
Different people have different names for different things no?

That must mean that almost every Site Agent, Contracts Manager, Safety Officer, Advanced Scaffolder, Lorry Driver and 'her in doors' must be inexperienced, lol.

Might as well say that everyone who calls and Single Coupler; a Clip is also inexperienced?
Different people have different names for different things no?

Indeed they do Jason,
However that dont make it right does it?
The logic behind not calling them crash decks was clear in my previous posts.
Not too concerned with what a lorry driver or site agent call them to be honest, but scaffolders and scaffold companies need to use the correct terminology for their own protection. It is important in these litigous times.
What would happen if you called an access scaffold a facade restraint I wonder?
Regards
Alan

Top Bottom