Crippled Scaffolders

Ian, right and wrong.

Talking of ladder use etc - the HSE's guide is just that - a guide! If you can justify anything you are doing by way of risk assessment and the assessment is suitable and sufficient (not my words!) then you are generally good to go. Every HSE Inspector I have met would be happy with adherence to industry standards even if there was arguably the odd conflict with legal requirements (WAHR!) and their own guidance. (INDG 402)

It may only be a guide but if you don't work to the guide and a serious accident occurs then theres a good chance your going to be breaching the HASAW act sections 2(1).

It may only be a guide but if you don't work to the guide and a serious accident occurs then theres a good chance your going to be breaching the HASAW act sections 2(1).

Not if there is a risk assessment justifying its use and you are working within industry guidelines Ian. The day I see a prosecution for using a Scaffstep (properly) is the day I retire!

Not if there is a risk assessment justifying its use and you are working within industry guidelines Ian. The day I see a prosecution for using a Scaffstep (properly) is the day I retire!

But you can't possibly work with in the HSE guidelines regarding steps especiallt the carrying 10kg so how are you going to justify that. In my opinion I wouldn't waste my money on the scaff step , i'd go down the twin lanyard route.

Before you use a stepladder, first ask yourself: am I fit to work at height? Then think about the condition and the position of the ladder.

A stepladder in good condition has:

Feet firmly attached
Clean treads
Secure locking devices
Secure fastenings when it is extended
A stepladder in a good position:

Is fully open
Is locked into place
Will not move at the bottom. See good practice in pictures[1]
Stands on a surface that is:
firm
level (see the diagrams below for safe limits on slopes)
clear
dry
not slippery
In use
Only work on a stepladder for a maximum of 15 - 30 minutes at a time
Only carry light materials and tools (up to 10 kg)
Do not overreach - make sure your belt buckle (navel) stays within the stiles
Keep both feet on the same rung or step throughout the task
Make sure you have a safe handhold available on the steps

Avoid side-on working, see good practice in pictures[2]

Last edited:
Ian, we could go on forever about this. WAHR hierarchy requires collective protection as a preference over personal protection. Guardrail is collective, (i.e. protects more than 1 person) lanyards (whether twin, single, treble, quadruple or quintuple) only protect the wearer.

Now that you could be prosecuted for!

But you can't possibly work with in the HSE guidelines regarding steps especiallt the carrying 10kg so how are you going to justify that. In my opinion I wouldn't waste my money on the scaff step , i'd go down the twin lanyard route.

XxIANxX

You're classifying the scaff step as exactly the same as a set of step ladders, when in fact it is a specific item of kit with a specific purpose, not as in a set of steps that may have many uses.

The lifting of weight issue you describe with a set of steps, is not much more than the 10kg you state, if you've placed your tubes on the transoms prior to getting on the step and then work in pairs to fit them.

But I ask is this an issue anyway?

I suspect the reason it's 10kg, and the probable cause of many a step ladder accident is due to the steps toppling over due lifting this excessive weight. I do not see this as an issue with the scaff step as it is positively fixed to the handrail and so cannot be toppled over.

Ian, we could go on forever about this. WAHR hierarchy requires collective protection as a preference over personal protection. Guardrail is collective, (i.e. protects more than 1 person) lanyards (whether twin, single, treble, quadruple or quintuple) only protect the wearer.

But your still working at height with the scaff step and still having to wear a harness because of the 470mm gap between the step up and the ledger acting as a guardrail

what about when youve done a 7 day week and been humping scaffold all week and tiedness sets in can that be tested.

But only traversing and tunneling as been altered with regards to SG4:10 so twin lanyards will be perfectly acceptable has it will still be considered a scaffolder safety zone

But only traversing and tunneling as been altered with regards to SG4:10 so twin lanyards will be perfectly acceptable has it will still be considered a scaffolder safety zone

XxIANxX

But surely there is still a heirachy and harnesses, whether with twin lanyards or not, must be seen as a last resort. I know harnesses are still used when using the scaff step but you have greatly reduced the likelyhood of a fall, therefore demonstrating best practice. Rather than just issue harnesses with twin lanyards and hope for the best.

XxIANxX

But surely there is still a heirachy and harnesses, whether with twin lanyards or not, must be seen as a last resort. I know harnesses are still used when using the scaff step but you have greatly reduced the likelyhood of a fall, therefore demonstrating best practice. Rather than just issue harnesses with twin lanyards and hope for the best.

But your still working at height on a scaff step so if your reducing the hierachy then your 1st option would be advanced guardrails.
but like I've said its the tunneling/traversing that has changed with SG4:10 so twin lanyards are also an option.

But your still working at height on a scaff step so if your reducing the hierachy then your 1st option would be advanced guardrails.
but like I've said its the tunneling/traversing that has changed with SG4:10 so twin lanyards are also an option.

Yes, but further down the hierarchy than the step.

Have a look at the Management Regs (3) 5d.

The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999

Technological Advancements.

i think what everyone is missing in SG4 and the work at height is this, the Hierarchy is already in SG4:05:

1, AGR Advanced Guard Rail and AGS, Advanced Guardrail Systems
2, Scaff Step and creeping handrails,
3, Protected Traverse on double lanyards attached to standards.

Will a scaffold company buy a AGR or AGS at over £1000, step at £70 or double barracuda at £140.

Lastly you can only use 3 if 1 and 2 are unavailable or due to site restrictions.

The truth is out there.

i think what everyone is missing in SG4 and the work at height is this, the Hierarchy is already in SG4:05:

1, AGR Advanced Guard Rail and AGS, Advanced Guardrail Systems
2, Scaff Step and creeping handrails,
3, Protected Traverse on double lanyards attached to standards.

Will a scaffold company buy a AGR or AGS at over £1000, step at £70 or double barracuda at £140.

Lastly you can only use 3 if 1 and 2 are unavailable or due to site restrictions.

The truth is out there.

All three are options.

If you wish to work to 3 you can but by pushing a 21ft tube in advance of the working area. Then you can top off from the boarded lift without going over any handrails or ledgers in the correct manner. This can be done with a single landyard & when you complete the job that rail is your bottom handrail. There is a section in SG4 2010 covering this.

No step up no expensive guardrail!!

Ragscaff

Any input from the HSE on the possible wear & tear on scaffolders using the scaff step

That one got a quite reception!!

Not thought about.

But is going to be an ongoing dialoge over the next few weeks.

Along with confirming harness trama & rescue times etc!!

Ragscaff

That one got a quite reception!!

Not thought about.

But is going to be an ongoing dialoge over the next few weeks.

Along with confirming harness trama & rescue times etc!!

Ragscaff

No such thing as rescue trauma.

All of that hysteria regarding suspension trauma has more or less been pooped. The acknowledged issue is now suspension syncope, or fainting, when unconscious in a suspended position thereby restricting breathing, which could result in asphyxiation.

HSE - Falls - First aid management for harness suspension

And if you meant QUIET reception, I am not surprised, those present probably couldn't believe you'd raised it!!!! And come on fellas, if you are going to oppose the scaff step, you just have, just have to come up with something better than it does you physical harm.

Do you all live in bungalows?

Any input from the HSE on the possible wear & tear on scaffolders using the scaff step

Electricians and plumbers have been up and down on step ladders for as long as I can remember, no signs of physical wear and tear from steps on any I know

Without going into the full detail of what was spoke about. The main issue on the wear & tear is the distance you step to top hand rail, the issue in question was the step up with out ladder in that instance. We brought up several issues with this system & the talks on this subject went on for some time.

I am not geting drawn into a wasted debate on this issue with a person who just wants to be negative. As I have posted, bullet point notes from the meeting will be placed on the SCCR page with full minutes on the SCCR site.

The issues were welcomed as possitive input & more work between the two parties is being done on this issue.

Stewart Quinney

I Think the step will be fine using system, but advanced tunnelling for t&f for me.

No such thing as rescue trauma.

All of that hysteria regarding suspension trauma has more or less been pooped. The acknowledged issue is now suspension syncope, or fainting, when unconscious in a suspended position thereby restricting breathing, which could result in asphyxiation.

HSE - Falls - First aid management for harness suspension

And if you meant QUIET reception, I am not surprised, those present probably couldn't believe you'd raised it!!!! And come on fellas, if you are going to oppose the scaff step, you just have, just have to come up with something better than it does you physical harm.

Do you all live in bungalows?

Your pick up on the harness issue. you said it yourself. More of less been pooped!!! That’s all I hear with this issue terms like that. Should be, maybe, etc etc. If I am being asked to wear something that may or may not save my life I want will be & proven comments.

The issue I have raised is collating information supplied & given, the HSE are sending me documents to help me do this so it would be possible to create a working rescue procedure & a definitive answer to the effects of falling off whilst clipped. If you have one then please e-mail it to me.

Stewart Quinney

Top Bottom