Chancers

Never had an interview in 19 years scaffolding
References is the best way to sus them out

Show them a design drawing and ask them to explain the way it should be erected... usually your on a 3 month trial, so you can bin em anyway... if their crap.

Just ask previous employers they'll tell you
If there anygood

get them to do a practical,
1. if they tell you to fukc off they're probably good hands and think your taking the p1ss
2. if the do it and they're ok fine and if not bin them.
3. as deb said ask them to right a method statement (dont expect english and grammer to be good) but they should no the basics, although lots of scaffs do jobs different.

cant beat a practical though;) or being told to fukc off when asked:nuts:

get them to do a practical,
1. if they tell you to fukc off they're probably good hands and think your taking the p1ss
2. if the do it and they're ok fine and if not bin them.
3. as deb said ask them to right a method statement (dont expect english and grammer to be good) but they should no the basics, although lots of scaffs do jobs different.

cant beat a practical though;) or being told to fukc off when asked:nuts:

Never crossed my mind to get them to do a practical!! I had better call the 5 star hotel where the interviews are being held and get room service to bring some tube and clip!! (We are in Australia)

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Never had an interview in 19 years scaffolding
References is the best way to sus them out

No not many interviews held for scaffolding jobs in UK. Not many that pay 3 grand a week either !!

Show them a design drawing and ask them to explain the way it should be erected... usually your on a 3 month trial, so you can bin em anyway... if their crap.

Good idea Deb about design drawing, and massive costs involved in mobilizing so really dont want to bin after paying the costs.

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

So you saying aussie scaffs are on £150,000 a year

On this job yes. A supervisor is on 180k plus house, utilities, car and fuel all paid for, and me?.....................lol

If your getting them to an interview stage you must
Think they have the ability
And if your on a £150,000 a year you should be able
To sus out a chanced by nothing more than a conversation
With the applicant

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Dollars maybe

If your getting them to an interview stage you must
Think they have the ability
And if your on a £150,000 a year you should be able
To sus out a chanced by nothing more than a conversation
With the applicant

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Dollars maybe

Dont worry about my abilities just posted the topic to get different peoples theories about the subject.
I appreciate that not many interviews are held for scaffs in the UK. Certainly not in my day when I was there. But of course its easier to bin guys in the UK.
I am sure all the experienced men on the forum will have had guys turn up on a job holding more cards than a full deck and wonder" How the f88k did he get a start?"
Theres big money to be earnt here with all the bonuses, leave payments and project allowances.
I always convert my salary to LSD whichever country I am working in.;)

I agree I've been turning a spanner for 20 years
In all manner of locations and I agree the card
Don't mean you can do the job.I just think if your getting
People to an interview stage 90% of your questions have
Been answered although that last 10% is more important
As you say a practical assessment is not possible
In a hotel room but how about a small written test where
It includes timeframe materials labour h&s questions
You could even
Have a photo of a piece of equipment/vessel/building that needs a scaffold
And ask them to demonstrate their approach to erecting the job
Draw it in the photo,talk you through the process
You might then get a clearer picture of who your interviewing
And I apologise about my previous post I was not questioning
Your abilities

I agree I've been turning a spanner for 20 years
In all manner of locations and I agree the card
Don't mean you can do the job.I just think if your getting
People to an interview stage 90% of your questions have
Been answered although that last 10% is more important
As you say a practical assessment is not possible
In a hotel room but how about a small written test where
It includes timeframe materials labour h&s questions
You could even
Have a photo of a piece of equipment/vessel/building that needs a scaffold
And ask them to demonstrate their approach to erecting the job
Draw it in the photo,talk you through the process
You might then get a clearer picture of who your interviewing
And I apologise about my previous post I was not questioning
Your abilities

No offence taken mate.
You have raised some good points there.
cheers.

Never really been able to spot a chancer just by talking to them. Obviously not good enough for some but after 10 minutes of working along side some one you soon know if it's going to work out. Our interview is a bit old school, if you can stand a paddy you get a seat in the truck and if you can't you don't.

just spotted a chancer!!
what have teeside police going down to london got to do with job interveiw scenarios for scaffolders.
stick to posting job adds off of the jobcentreplus web site teeside;)

Never crossed my mind to get them to do a practical!! I had better call the 5 star hotel where the interviews are being held and get room service to bring some tube and clip!! (We are in Australia)

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

No not many interviews held for scaffolding jobs in UK. Not many that pay 3 grand a week either !!

you never said interview in a 5 star hotel, just trying to help.
if your on that much money why ask for help of us poor relations.
Personally if i was employing someone and paying them top dollar i would make sure they could do the job, PRACTICAL SIMPLES!
FFS lighten up you big headed tw@t

You can spot a chancer when he starts talking ***** straight away, to many like blowing there own trumpets, the ones that let the guns doing the talking. now thats when your worth the top dollar.:blink1:

when they phone for a job tell them that when they come in for the interview tell there will be a trade test applicable to the card they hold

spot on animal , you can tell a chancer within minutes of working with them , always talk about jobs you never heard of , probably say they were running it . i had one last week and knew he didnt have within about a minute of working with him , i went to put a double arm in he grabbed the other end of it , i tried to put a brace in he put the bottom swivel on as i did the top , we asked him to kick a job off and he fell over a brickies line and off to the medic , advanced an all and apparently a supervisor for capes for years .another way of telling who the chancers are is they always slag the young ones off as if there better than them , i know who i would rather be working with . its all because of tickets , people think cos they got them it makes them a good scaffolder

Top Bottom