Another tube in double bay sways?

So you think we should be allowed to go below 35?

So you think we should be allowed to go below 35?

My opinion is it is acceptable, the problem here would be without a design it does state in TG20 the lower limit of 35degs...so do it and you could be open to getting pulled...

My point is that I don't understand why there is the lower limit...unless someone else can explain it?

Last edited:
Hopefully Alan can give you a good debate about it. I'm not arguing with you but from a scaffs point of view I think it looks terrible when too flat but will take your word if you say it is just as effective, just not what I am used too but very little of the job is now.

I agree it doesn't look good, nice squares with braces at 45 degs looks "right" in my opinion also. Somehow the 2 bay 1 lift sway looks too long and ungainly.

As I said it looks terrible, must be awkward to fit although I have never done it so where is the benefit in using it. I think I am pretty old fashioned but it's a 10 foot tube one bay all day long for me.

I like the 1 Bay Sway approach - 10ft Tubes for Sways.
Just above the Toe-Board and just under the Ledger on the Lift above.

But to be fair, if you have normal 2m Standard spacings and put your Sways in as above the angle wont look too out of place anyway.

Turns the 'Squares' into Triangles.

What angle would you say your brace on the stair case was on the base Jason?

I thought if it was flat it went down the way not up like maybe 30 degrees.

This one?

hqdefault.jpg

Its fairly flat.
The others are roughly about 45's.

Yeah that's the one, pretty flat but I suppose with so many standards it may have been the only way to brace that one.

I know that after that was finished i was looking on and NHS for an artificial wrist replacement, lol.
More fittings on that monster, then id done up in about 6 weeks prior. :D

Its coming down Monday too... ill be striking that, by all accounts and setting out the 260ft'er - Possibly the biggest in the world. :p

That will be going STRAIGHT on the old CV, lol.

Robo-Scaff. :p

I would, but i cant bring myself to shell out the £350 for one...
Im sure i got a bit of Scottish in me, yanno. :laugh:

No way, the Jocks already have them. We might be tight but were no thick.;)

Lol ad have yan to moz but our lass has put a stop to it lol for thde now told her when i do me part 2 ill need yan as its a requiremnt the more quall u get the more tech you need to keep up with legeslation and what have you its just comom poratice for part 2's to have them thats y they get paid more ...as well as a new belt and boom she's off time to reels in ....splayed her like a gooden lol

haha, that's the way too play it.:laugh:

Hopefully Alan can give you a good debate about it. I'm not arguing with you but from a scaffs point of view I think it looks terrible when too flat but will take your word if you say it is just as effective, just not what I am used too but very little of the job is now.

Morning Guys
For Scaffolders there is no debate. Again I refer you to TG20 for the scaffolder your freedom of choice is restricted to what is contained within the Part One document. 35 to 55 deg. You are also restricted to the patterns as per figures 20 in TG 20. It may not look pretty but it may be doing a good job. (Insert picture of Jason)
However for Designers/Engineers such as me, we do have other choices these are contained in part two and within our capacity to design and prove. This includes the brace patterns. Provided you can prove it works in calculation you can draw it. The flatter a brace is the less force it is required to take.
That said there are other criteria to be considered such as in Jays picture the braces would not appear to be connected to every standard using a swivel coupler as called for within TG20 6.3 paragraph 7.
This is also confirmed in the NASC clip provided by the Viking.
In answer to AxSD, sway bracing is connected to either extended transoms (on Load Bearing Couplers) or using swivels at every standard again covered in 6.3.
Again the Clip attached by RedViking also confirms the horizontal tube in the base lift is to stop people walking into the brace.

I like those low sways,easy to walk up.;)

Interesting debate on the angles of bracing, Seems the norm would be 45 degrees. I would have thought the lower the angle the stronger it would be,tho not too good asthetically. Ledger/dogs, bracing appears to be more like 60d. Is this more for load bearing purposes??

The ledger braces are nearer 60 degs just because that's the angle made where they fit. Care needs to be taken were the scaffold is narrower than 'normal' or the lift bigger than 'normal' because the brace will become too steep but that would be a design anyway.

You are right with your conclusion that the flatter the stronger for sway and ledger braces.

Top Bottom