am i out of the game

whap it up

Reaction score
hi all u good bad and ugly scaffs out ther . iav just been told by my orthopaedic surgon that imay not bee able to go back on the spanners after i had a traumatic shoulder dislocation 2 weeks ago . is ther any of u out ther whats done the same and gone back with out to much pain .he seem to think i will struggle to get my arm above my head once i get it sorted do not really want to hang up the belt after 30 years and only 45 now any feed back would be great and remember if ya not turning ya not earning

Speak to sun xv on the forum he as just had a shoulder op don't no weather the same .he will be healpfull

I've got the same prob mate, i've got damaged cartlidge in both shoulders more serverly in the left. The only option i've got is 15-18 wks off work with surgery and even then not gaurenteed 100% remedy.
All the best.

look mate in 1988, I was working for a company called walter Lawrence based in north London I was on a job in bethnel green and fell through a low level sky light window an bust up both legs with pins then plates added to both my shins and was told categorically that my days of scaffolding was well an truly over that was then and still to this day I spin my Elsie Tanner so take what he says with a pinch of salt but ay with any ticket being dished out like free sweets you could always go in to supervision plenty of training schools will take your dollar so don't worry too much scc

try getting work on new builds,then only doing briky lifts.just jesting,if you take it easy it might get ok.

ye in a sling at moment until the 5 dec then go back to see if i need a op suppose time will tell . we may have to start putting short lifts in and charge doulble eh mate hope u av a great recovery

I dislocated mine 2 year ago it still hurts now but I work through it. I'm 30 now dreading what it's guna be like when I'm older

i find it hard enough supervision my 3 kids , but ye i suppose i av plenty of time to think of whats next if me shoulder is a no goar its just the thought of not doing something iav loved doing all these years

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

I dislocated mine 2 year ago it still hurts now but I work through it. I'm 30 now dreading what it's guna be like when I'm older

what was it like for u when u startid back and did u or do u ever fell like it could pop out again

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

Speak to sun xv on the forum he as just had a shoulder op don't no weather the same .he will be healpfull

cheers mate will try get in touch with him

i find it hard enough supervision my 3 kids , but ye i suppose i av plenty of time to think of whats next if me shoulder is a no goar its just the thought of not doing something iav loved doing all these years

If you feel that you can adapt, then go for it.
Had a fall 10 years ago 30 feet up through bricklayers not cleaning scaffold after use.
I fractured my skull, split my right knee-cap and shattered my left arm to an extent that I have no elbow left.
Just see for yourself in time that you may be able to adapt.
I know what you might be going through financially, been there myself and you feel like $hit at times, but dont give in and best of luck.
Oh by the way, welcome to the forum.;)

30 years experience will make you useful to someone without having to turn your elsies. Where are you based?

I had 4 week off couldn't afford to stay off longer. It don't feel like it will pop out its just painful like flipping a long hurts carrying 2 boards is most I can carry now just little things like that it aches a lot as well ha

I had 4 week off couldn't afford to stay off longer. It don't feel like it will pop out its just painful like flipping a long hurts carrying 2 boards is most I can carry now just little things like that it aches a lot as well ha

ye ther seem to thing iav torn all muscles and things that hold it in but thats good to hear gives me a lot of hope cheers mate

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

30 years experience will make you useful to someone without having to turn your elsies. Where are you based?

in york mate

Contact a few companies explain your situation and assuming you can drive I bet something comes up.

I had a shoulder op in march this year! It was called
A Mumford procedure where they cut the end
Of the outer clavicle bone due to the bone
Crumbling plus metal wire holding my cartlidge
Together as it had split!
Caused by a seatbelt after getti g hit up the arse
At 60mph while sitting stationary in traffic!
Went back on the tools in July and only get a bit
Of an ache if chaining gear up!

Been in the game over 40 years,still putting big jobs up.My right shoulders been bad for about 8 years.Been to physio no help,been told to pack in job,and do what? Doc say's I've basically worn my body out!!It's getting worse now,winters always a killer.What to do?Wifes on my back to pack it in get a job in B&Q ect. Yes luv me and about a couple of thousand others.Going to take some time off during the bad weather see how the shoulder is,but it's looking like surgery is on the cards.Even though they say it' no guarantee of sorting the problem.If I worked in the public sector would have been pensioned off at 55 with a good few bob.

Welcome to the forum Whap it up, hope things improve for you but if not there will still be internal work for a good man - estimating or supervision.

Been in the game over 40 years,still putting big jobs up.My right shoulders been bad for about 8 years.Been to physio no help,been told to pack in job,and do what? Doc say's I've basically worn my body out!!It's getting worse now,winters always a killer.What to do?Wifes on my back to pack it in get a job in B&Q ect. Yes luv me and about a couple of thousand others.Going to take some time off during the bad weather see how the shoulder is,but it's looking like surgery is on the cards.Even though they say it' no guarantee of sorting the problem.If I worked in the public sector would have been pensioned off at 55 with a good few bob.

hi there mate hope ya fine so , how do u find say putting ledgers in with a fk shoulder do u try and work the same or av u change the way u do things , if u have a op i think u ar looking at 16 to 20 weeks off min . if u had worked in public sector what u think u would of been a H S E OFFICER

This will come to all of us in the end
I have this pain sometimes been going to Chinese acupuncture
This is the electronic type and does the trick going every 6 months or if it gets worse
This treatment will make the pain worse the next day and then it will fade after 2nd day it cost £20 one hour
Also take cold liver& Glucosimine every day
Remember if you do not service your fittings things seize up oil your bones and joints every day

Top Bottom