Advanced Inspection Course

Weaverbix

Reaction score
Ok lads, whats all the hype about this Adv Insp Course? What exactly does it entail and what exactly are the benifits of partaking?

Answers on a postcard please......

And happy black eyed friday.

This is a two Day Course designed to Inspect Complex / Designed Scaffold Structures or so the Course descriptor says…

No quite sure if it is open to non-Scaffs ???

The Ticket would be desirable for Third Party Inspection and or Scaffold Assessor i.e. Inspection of the ( Product ) Scaffold…which is a component of the Assessment Process...

Thanks Garry, but what benifit will the conventional Scaff have on completion of this course. Only asking as I am booked on one in Jan................

Weaverbix…benefits that I can see are that it allows the ( SITS ) Advanced Inspection Holder to Inspect Complex Structures…the Basic Scaffold Inspection allows the Ticket holder to inspect Basic Structures only…

I am booked on the Adv Insp in Feb…my reason being to achieve the highest Standard available in Inspection competency and to refresh myself in any new inspection techniques and standards...

I'm kind of along the same lines as you on that score Garry. Just didnt know wheather it was just a money spinning course, as in, not going to learn much more than completing the Advanced Scaffold Course. Basically trying to get as many courses under my belt as i can, just to give myself more chances.

Where are you doing your's? Aberdeen some where? I have taken advantage of the January sales at Simian, £199+VAT. Not to be sniffed at really??

Good luck on your's anyway my friend................

Weaverbix…In these modern times experience is not sufficient and must be backed with qualifications, moreover, the Course content will be up to date and any questions ( and I have a few ) can be directed to the Instructor for clarification…

I will be going to Renfew NCC ( the only provider in Scotland )

Take full advantage of Simians offer, look at it as an investment...

If you already hold an advanced ticket as it stands there really is no need to waste your money on this course - it was originally aimed at non scaffolders such as tagmen and safety officers, but somewhere along the line main contractors under yhe direction of nasc guidance & advise are under the misinterpretation of the requirement for a qualified scaffolder to hold this in addition to the ciscs tckt. - last thing i heard was they where going to extend it into a 3rd day to allow the course content to incorperate the addition of tg20:13.....check out the youtube video presentation from simian explaining what each scaffold ticket qualifys the holder to erect & inspect....youd be better off spending your mo ey on something else

@ Southern…I know that non-Scaffolders can gain this Ticket, which allows the holder to examine, inspect and commission complex Scaffold structures, therefore, to match and better the non-Scaffolders Ticket, one must hold the Ticket to match them, then better it with the Adv Scaff Ticket… one can't argue with a full house, in this case a Royal flush PMSL…

I want to be in apposition where I can contradict a non-Scaffolder when I think he is wrong and put my Tickets on the table to support my contradiction...

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

Given that the two Day Basic Scaffold Inspection has being extended to three Day in order to include TG and up-dates, I would expect the Adv Insp to do the same…

A non-Scaffolder can Inspect a Scaffold by cross referencing TG Data and the Design drawing and he may identify a breach (s) or omissions in the correlation of the Scaffold, however, can he recommend the remedial and or corrective action required to commission, moreover, when or if alterations are required and set in place experience comes into play, which a non-Scaffolders is found wanting or should be...

Fair enough gary but tbh i for one wouldnt waste my money m8 - as a advanced tckt holder as well as the years its taken you to build your knowledge base as well as the 2 week residentual course to gain the nvq level 3 i think it would be a very foolish man to try and argue that a 2day wannaby qualification would in any way superceed any imput that you may have...occationally we work on some really complicated shores, & can be working off up to 8 drwgs at the same time, & theres never been a site safety officer or inspector thats even attempted tp pull them apart - it frightens them too much lol...u'd be better of putting your money into the smsts or nebosh/iosh tbh

Southern…perhaps it my belt and braces nature and cover all avenues + be interesting to see the Curriculum…aye, done the NEBOSH in 98 gaining entry to IOSH and IIRSM and was thinking of going down that road again, however, I have an interest in Training Assessment Quality Assurance, the Adv Inspt Ticket may give Client confidence of the level of competency when called upon to Examine / Inspect the delegates (Product) Scaffold…

Fair enough gary but tbh i for one wouldnt waste my money m8 - as a advanced tckt holder as well as the years its taken you to build your knowledge base as well as the 2 week residentual course to gain the nvq level 3 i think it would be a very foolish man to try and argue that a 2day wannaby qualification would in any way superceed any imput that you may have...occationally we work on some really complicated shores, & can be working off up to 8 drwgs at the same time, & theres never been a site safety officer or inspector thats even attempted tp pull them apart - it frightens them too much lol...u'd be better of putting your money into the smsts or nebosh/iosh tbh

Hi Southern,

see because its a money spinner, a lot of big companies have latched on to this and thought "ah, we can start asking for this to accompany an Advanced Scaffolding Ticket" without fully understanding the practice behind it. I kinda agree that, until I do the course and fully understand what it contains, an Advanced ticket can do the same job if need be.
The reason I am doing this is a) To give myself a better chance should I ever have to leave Paradise where I am, and b) it was only £200+VAT at Simian risk. For that amount of money can the course really be sniffed at?
Will keep you posted on weather the cousre is actually worth the money tho mate.:bigsmile:

Weaverbix-Sounds lke your becoming a badge collector lol..i just put 4 of my lads through their 1day forklift course & that was only 150 each...nice shiney tckt, youd lke that one lol - but hey if you dont do the course you'd only waste the money in beer tokens!...Av a goog xmas & try not to look too board on the course

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

Southern…perhaps it my belt and braces nature and cover all avenues + be interesting to see the Curriculum…aye, done the NEBOSH in 98 gaining entry to IOSH and IIRSM and was thinking of going down that road again, however, I have an interest in Training Assessment Quality Assurance, the Adv Inspt Ticket may give Client confidence of the level of competency when called upon to Examine / Inspect the delegates (Product) Scaffold…

fair enough gary - u never know if you do it through simian theirs a good chance youd be able to talk urself in onetof their scaff trainer jobs in uae they were advertising on her a couple of weeks back lol....av a good xmas m8 & good luck in ur course

Weaverbix-Sounds lke your becoming a badge collector lol..i just put 4 of my lads through their 1day forklift course & that was only 150 each...nice shiney tckt, youd lke that one lol - but hey if you dont do the course you'd only waste the money in beer tokens!...Av a goog xmas & try not to look too board on the course

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

fair enough gary - u never know if you do it through simian theirs a good chance youd be able to talk urself in onetof their scaff trainer jobs in uae they were advertising on her a couple of weeks back lol....av a good xmas m8 & good luck in ur course

oooooo thats sounds the ticket for me, ha ha ha. I just endured a 5 day Offshore Safety Reps course. That was the best weeks sleep I have ever had and got paid for. Ha ha.
Tbh Southern im looking to ditch the tools and head off into Safety. (BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I KNOW) too many old injuries starting to catch up and bite me now.

Same as to you fella. Merry Christmas and a prosperous new year. Good luck to you.:D

I wouldn't expect a scaffolder to get very much from the inspection course. A quick refresher is as much as could be expected. Doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it though, if it improves prospects, go for it. As far as I'm aware at the moment, there is no plans to extend the advanced to 3 days. There is very little mention of tg20 in the advanced as it's all design.

@ Southern…Im doing my Adv Insp at Renfrew NCC mid Feb…

I have known Simian for quite a few years, communicating via personal email and the Forum, however, I did have a meeting with Simian when we both happened to be in Dubai. Simain was setting up their Training Facility ( circa 4 years ago ) in the Industrial Sector of Al Quaz, Dubai…

I haven't worked in the UK for some time and thought that the Adv Insp Course would act as a refresher given that I will not be roaming for the foreseeable future I thought that Id got search out opportunities back in the UK...

Fair enough gary..whats made u come back to the uk to work- surely not the weather lol.....

Southern…Thought Id spend more time with my Lady + the renumeration T&T had fallen these past two years…last big hit was Saudi, its all down hill from there LOL…

I thought that I may go into Training or just go back to Field Operations, Decommissioning of Offshore Installations seams to be worth looking at…

Most of us from the old school seem to be going that way ,as for h&s myself included lol, over the years ive trainned uo loads of guys but i'm not too sure i'd wanna do it for a job.

Can someone tell me if you have to complete the Construction Skills Health, safety and environment test before this advance inspection card is issued?

I know there are other acceptable alternatives to the CSCS test when applying for scaffolding cards, but I heard that for this CISRS Advance Inspectors card you MUST pass the Construction Skills Health, safety and environment test.

Anyone got the card without passing the CSCS test??

Can someone tell me if you have to complete the Construction Skills Health, safety and environment test before this advance inspection card is issued?

I know there are other acceptable alternatives to the CSCS test when applying for scaffolding cards, but I heard that for this CISRS Advance Inspectors card you MUST pass the Construction Skills Health, safety and environment test.

Anyone got the card without passing the CSCS test??

the info i were told Scaff is as follows:

Delegates attending the Advanced Scaffold Inspection they must provide evidence of the following:
· CISRS Advanced Scaffolder Card/Certificate
or
· Held a Part 2 card for a minimum of 2 years
or
· Held a BSI card for 2 years

Also must have one of the following
· Health & Safety test (taken within 2 years of application)
· Current CCNSG Safety Passport (SCATS Card)
· NEBOSH Construction Certificate (taken within 2 years of application)
· Current offshore Survival Certificate (taken within 2 years of application)
· SMSTS (taken within 2 years of application)
· FAS Safe Pass (taken within 2 years of application)
· SSSTS (taken within 2 years of application)
· IOSH Managing Safely (taken within 2 years of application)

Or as I found out when I called up, Offshore M.I.S.T. This only has to be in date.

Hope this helps Scaff:)

Top Bottom