A question about spigots

They aint banned, and you can't use them on ledgers unless you can secure it as it offers zero slip resistance! Topping out only, wouldn't trust topping out a 21' on one either! They're there for when there's no other way.

Sometimes flinty you make some cracking posts- and its nothing personel my friend.and i'm not having a pop or wanting to start an argument, but with a stupid comment like that it shows you've only been turning a spanner for 6 years...any experianced scaff on here would just laugh at it-why would a ledger or standard join slip- the fact that 1 works with compression and the other with expansion both have been used successfully for years, agreed a topper can be a little lively with a pin in it, but i've never heard of or seen one fall out & when used in a ledger i've always found them to be as secure - i've never seen it in writing that they are banned & untill i do will continue to use them- unfortunately when people make posts like these which are unfounded, others follow and this causes confusion, i had a sso quoting this thead to me yesterday and then had to show him sg & tg booklets to calm him down b4 he made me splice everything in site

Yea Gaz sleeves should be used on everything were possible,hemps,ledgers,handrails.It only becomes a problem when not enough tube is remaining to take a sleeve,thats when the spigots are handy.I work for interserve and i can tell you when you are ordering joints you aint getting any spigots and thats a fact.

If you dont have enough tube remaining to take a sleeve or if you have too much tube so the join is too far away from the standards then you need to think again.

Sometimes flinty you make some cracking posts- and its nothing personel my friend.and i'm not having a pop or wanting to start an argument, but with a stupid comment like that it shows you've only been turning a spanner for 6 years...any experianced scaff on here would just laugh at it-why would a ledger or standard join slip- the fact that 1 works with compression and the other with expansion both have been used successfully for years, agreed a topper can be a little lively with a pin in it, but i've never heard of or seen one fall out & when used in a ledger i've always found them to be as secure - i've never seen it in writing that they are banned & untill i do will continue to use them- unfortunately when people make posts like these which are unfounded, others follow and this causes confusion, i had a sso quoting this thead to me yesterday and then had to show him sg & tg booklets to calm him down b4 he made me splice everything in site

FFS, SSOW quoting threads from the forum, might try that one myself.:laugh:

I cannot see how my post implied that a standard join would 'slip'. That's a personal thing not trusting a 21 in a pin as a topper as they roll all over the place! :eek:

I can comment from my experience that they get pulled up, people like to moan that spigs on ledgers need securing. I agree, in most cases they aint going anywhere but we often have to work with people who know very little and try to put it into practice. Your case above shows it, though I've never heard of them using a thread on a forum as guidance!

I think that's magic Flinty, who needs associations when we have the forum?:laugh:

I think that's magic Flinty, who needs associations when we have the forum?:laugh:

Can you imagine it?

"And I refer you to page 2, thread 12 of the scaffolders forum to see guidance for the use of......" :laugh::laugh:

haha fekin magic.:laugh::laugh:

Please please someone say that to me one day.:laugh::laugh:

I always have at least half a dozen spigots on our lorry , i could t even start to count how many hemps i have used spigots on over the years , sometimes its the only way out of a problem.
Lads saying if you base out with the right tubes you should always have enough scarf left for a sleeve , all it takes is a short 21 and its all out the window , plus you cant always see exactly how high a lift needs to be when your 3 lifts below it.
I remember being told almost 20 years ago that we cat use spigots anymore , and some of the firms wouldnt send them out on the lorrys.
SGB used to have some good spigots , drop forged and quite slim never got stuck in a tube like some of the pressed steel ones.

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

It must be true " I seen it on the forum " so do one site manager :laugh::laugh:

That's going to be my war cry for years to come.:laugh:

And yes, I have used spigots in hemps to deal with cut tubes or slight ground level changes. Unlike some we have never purported to be perfect.;)

I'll take anything 6 lifts up and one fecking hemp flush with a double.:eek:

Can you spot the spigot here ?

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 26
Is it rammed right up the crane drivers erse?

It's a driller but the sun is shining so it can't be off Aberdeen. Where was it taken mspence, Mexico?

Evidently he stumbled onto the forum whilst googling a questions on spigots and went straight to the thread- he wasnt using it as full guidence but assumed it was direct via the sccr lolol - & so spend a while surfing the forum & was quite surprised at the spectrum of knowledge only which he doubted due to the amount of posters who couldnt agree on certain topics.... so the moral is dont think its only scaffs that use this media

Good tip SP but it did make me laugh.

Looks like we can't even talk on this forum without the safety department watching us!!! :D

Bloody well didnt me when he hit me with it ... how embarrassed i felt when i had to explain that in fact i was the southernpoofter lolo i'll let you imagine the look he gave me ;)

Top Bottom