A question about spigots

Gaz

Reaction score
Hi, I had abit of a debate with a wagon driver today about why the job I'm working on has a spigot on nearly every hemp. The wagon driver says (argues) they are meant to be used in hemps, i say sleeves should be used where possible. Apparently (this happens alot apparently) you can knock the middle out of the sleeve on a hemp if you hit the top of the sleeve with your hemp tube. Ive never seen that happen in 13 years. Could anyone put any clarity on that for me. Cheers.

Gaz

Spigots are only supposed to be used for hemping not for fixing ledgers.

The part about the sleeves not being suiatable for hemping is b0llocks though.

have you ever tried to knock a centre out of a sleve yes the thin strip 1.s come out with a flick of you spanner with it in you box, the soild centre take a good few wacks with a 5ft and a butt to come out a tap with a topped wouldnt make the sleve slip unless he may have seen some daft cant topping out with a centerless slevee pins are only for toppers and handrails and worst case ledgers

Cheers Joel, just what I said. But shouldn't sleeves be used in priority to pins where possible?

And cheers Marra, I don't suppose you have ever seen the centre of a sleeve knocked out on a hemp with a hemping tube have you? Or anyone else?

Last edited:
Why you arguing with a lorry driver , tell him to fu ck of and load the lorry
Your not supposed to use spigots anymore full stop .

Yea Gaz sleeves should be used on everything were possible,hemps,ledgers,handrails.It only becomes a problem when not enough tube is remaining to take a sleeve,thats when the spigots are handy.I work for interserve and i can tell you when you are ordering joints you aint getting any spigots and thats a fact.

Haha Phil, he's been there a long time and seems to know what he's talking about :/

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

Thanks Scafftag

nope never seen it like i say you have to smash the sleeves thats on a butt with a 5ft to get it off some times get it in 1 others 2 or 3 times but theres no chance with just topping out none what so ever only sleeves the driver should worrie about are that yans half way down his arms .

Haha cheers marra

Every hemp is on a pin haha, but apparently that's correct :S

Last edited:
tell him to fook off yes u should use a sleeve were possible but sometimes u need a spiggot it would take years to get shut of them every firms got them

I would not argue with a lorry driver because they know everything,Talk for england and dont know when to button it, and yes they are mostly full of sh*t if they were so f**king clever they would not be dragging around big lorrys all day long for £9 per hour !

philliosmaximus; Your not supposed to use spigots anymore full stop .[/QUOTE said:
Wheres that from phil - 1st ive ever heard of it

Tell the winker to get up there and try knocking out the centre of a sleeve when topping out and he will be back in his cab before you can say spiggots are banned ;)

as far as i know theyve been banned for a good couple of years now,probably for some very obscure safety reason.

They aint banned, and you can't use them on ledgers unless you can secure it as it offers zero slip resistance! Topping out only, wouldn't trust topping out a 21' on one either! They're there for when there's no other way.

Saying that don't p!ss the driver off too much, they're great for gossip. Rub his belly and tell him what a good boy he is and you'll note what he's said.

think its down to the firm wether there banned or not!!! there only handy the olde spigots when you need one and you always want one when you ante got one lol!! tell you what needs banning is that putlog c!ap

Last edited:
Always used spiggots for topping as it's only one tie off,and they'd always be banana shaped from lads waggling the topper during the strike to loosen them,drop your 21 on them and hold your breath as they lean alarmingly before they're wrapped off,hehe:eek:

We had around 200 new spigots 3 weeks b4 xmas i hide 3 bags coz like a few have said when ya need them there not there and when i was loding up of to my little stash (when there wernt any ) and got a hand full showed yan lab me larl stash whent to get some 3 days later and thed all gone, the best spigot is the half inch yans with hinge you get little sway form the topper and wraps in in 2 or 3 turns and that is the onlt half inch fitting i like

Top Bottom